Peculiar Prey Ignored

ffbj

Sentinel
So this is an interesting find regarding variation is species. The study with birds and salamanders found that birds were likely to ignore variations from the norm in salamanders, which addresses one of the complaints concerning the theory of evolution. So there is an advantage to being different as you are less likely to be eaten.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090512102555.htm

You're also a lot less likely to be invited to parties. Maybe there's a connection?

If all the normal ones are eaten there will be only peculiar parties....

I don't know about you, JDR, but I certainly work like the birds. For example, if I happened to catch an albino fish, or one with three eyes, I would probably be too weirded out by it to eat it, even if I knew rationally that the weirdness in no way affects its nutritional qualities.

I don't know about you, JDR, but I certainly work like the birds. For example, if I happened to catch an albino fish, or one with three eyes, I would probably be too weirded out by it to eat it, even if I knew rationally that the weirdness in no way affects its nutritional qualities.

Well, it could be part of a complex disorder, affecting a lot more than just the eyes.

I wasn't talking specifically about food PJ. I'm referring to the way that humans like to target others that are different from themselves.

Perhaps that's the same mechanism -- rejecting something that's different.

Back
Top Bottom