Skyrim - What The Creation Engine Really Means

Nothing like a cellphone for that immersive experience with the ideal interface

Well, given that power... you can hock it up to your HD-TV and connect a mouse and keyboard or a game controller.... and voila you have a immersive experiance.... o wait.... the HDT-TV is not powerful enough... it only supports 1080p... oh well. you could do that after you buy a new HD-TV :D

Well, given that power… you can hock it up to your HD-TV and connect a mouse and keyboard or a game controller…. and voila you have a immersive experiance…. o wait…. the HDT-TV is not powerful enough… it only supports 1080p… oh well. you could do that after you buy a new HD-TV :D

Hooking up a cellphone to that kind of system will be something I do, only after I hang myself :)

Unless they start developing genuinely interesting games for them, of course...

For the record I need a processor upgrade, it's not like I am cutting edge. Still, 6 year old tech is pretty old, and 11 year tech much older. I just don't see them lasting that long, it opens up for a competitor to come along and clean house if you ask me.

If at one point graphics becomes even more important than gameplay than it is already the case today -

- then I give up and turn myself entirely towards board games.

I have several ones, but no group around me for playing them.

I think I should try it via my main forum I'm visiting ... And look out for a place where we could play ...

Board games are still big here in Germany. The "Spiel International" in every October is said to be the world's biggest board games fair.

What I sould really try now is to get both Aventuria-based board games.

And regarding that - I perceived pen & paper RPGs always as kind of "extended board games" - with all of these dice and so on.
No wonder that I' an outsider at the TDE forums because of that - TDE 4th edition uses much less dice nowadays, or so it seems to me, and especially not within the character generation system, which is all point & buy now ... And it is far much favoured by its fans. Said to be more fair than rolling dice = depending on chance during the character generation).

You're living in la-la land if you still think that there are no genuinely interesting games for mobile devices…

Here I was thinking it was you living in la-la land :)

There are certain cute games, but none that really interest me beyond a few minutes to play around with and be amused by.

But, before we go on about the "la-la" bit, I invite you to consider that what you consider interesting isn't the same as what I consider interesting.

I understand there's a certain comfort to believing people who don't enjoy these games are crazy - just as I recognise a certain comfort believing people in general totally lack the ability to seperate the "cool/cute" from the genuinely "great."

But I think we have to accept that tastes simply differ and we don't have to be crazy - either of us. Well, obviously you are crazy - but for other reasons :)

I've bought and played around a dozen of the top iPhone CRPGs available - and none of them brought anything - and I mean ANYTHING - new to the table. At the very best, they do what has been done several years ago - and they do it in an inferior way.

But before you go crazy again, what I mean by "new" is in terms of what has happened in those genres on the PC or consoles. I realise there are certain iPhone/Smartphone unique titles suited for that platform that are doing new things - but unfortunately I think it's all gimmicky pointless crap. Except perhaps Space Miner - that was kinda cute and worked well on the gadget. It would have been a zillion times better done properly on PC - but that's that.

Something like "The Quest" is probably the best game so far - and yet it's like playing an ancient PC game with a crappy interface.

There are certain cute games, but none that really interest me beyond a few minutes to play around with and be amused by.

But, before we go on about the "la-la" bit, I invite you to consider that what you consider interesting isn't the same as what I consider interesting.

That's what I said. You're living in la-la land, and I'd also like to have the stuff that you're smoking, please. :)

I understand there's a certain comfort to believing people who don't enjoy these games are crazy

Well, as long as you can say that there are no interesting games for mobile devices, I can say that you are crazy. :) Maybe we should start talking in terms of what our opinions are.

"I personally THINK (bold obligatory) that there are no genuinely interesting games for mobile devices, but (!!) you are of course free to think differently and are free to your own opinion, which I fully respect. (Disclaimer required)"

I've bought and played around a dozen of the top iPhone CRPGs available - and none of them brought anything - and I mean ANYTHING - new to the table

Pffft, are you one of those people that think every new game has to bring something incredibly new to the table? Oh, this is so similar to this, the game sucks! That game is stuck in the '80s, it's 2011 now! Game mechanics feel stale, 3/10.

These games don't bring their own graphics assets, graphics, game mechanics, etc.? Really? Or do you honestly believe that every single thing has to be "innovative"? Even for PC?

At the very best, they do what has been done several years ago - and they do it in an inferior way.

So? That makes them bad games? The last part is arguable, of course.

But before you go crazy again

RAAAAAAAGH! *throws cats at you*

Something like "The Quest" is probably the best game so far - and yet it's like playing an ancient PC game with a crappy interface.

That's probably meant that way, of course. It's also available as a PC game and was available on older phones before iPhone (as a Java game, I assume). And it doesn't look better on the PC version.

There's probably not many games on iPhone/Android that you'd enjoy. But there certainly are many genuinely interesting, high-quality ones than others really enjoy.

World of Goo, for instance, I think potentially works better on iPad than on Wii, but I don't know. I don't have a Wii. Also, it's a physics puzzler, and you only want CRPGs.

*throws cat*

That's what I said. You're living in la-la land, and I'd also like to have the stuff that you're smoking, please. :)

Wouldn't be good for your health :)

Well, as long as you can say that there are no interesting games for mobile devices, I can say that you are crazy. :) Maybe we should start talking in terms of what our opinions are.

That was kinda my point.

"I personally THINK (bold obligatory) that there are no genuinely interesting games for mobile devices, but (!!) you are of course free to think differently and are free to your own opinion, which I fully respect. (Disclaimer required)"

In a generous mood today? ;)

Pffft, are you one of those people that think every new game has to bring something incredibly new to the table? Oh, this is so similar to this, the game sucks! That game is stuck in the '80s, it's 2011 now! Game mechanics feel stale, 3/10.

These games don't bring their own graphics assets, graphics, game mechanics, etc.? Really? Or do you honestly believe that every single thing has to be "innovative"? Even for PC?

Has to? No, as long as there are people happy being fed the same crap over and over on tiny superfluous gadgets, it obviously isn't all that vital :)

That said, no, I'm ok with games that are simply interesting.

So? That makes them bad games? The last part is arguable, of course.

Objectively bad? No such thing, really.

Just not interesting to me, beyond the amusing part of seeing old stuff on a small neat screen.

RAAAAAAAGH! *throws cats at you*

Ouch!

That's probably meant that way, of course. It's also available as a PC game and was available on older phones before iPhone (as a Java game, I assume). And it doesn't look better on the PC version.

Obviously not, because it was meant as a mobile game. Why make something to take advantage of modern hardware, when you're going for the inferior platform.

There's probably not many games on iPhone/Android that you'd enjoy. But there certainly are many genuinely interesting, high-quality ones than others really enjoy.

So they claim, and I have to accept that. I'm just seeing developers exploiting consumerism - charging attractive prices for cutesy crap (as in the opportunity to brag at work about having a good looking thing running on your smartphone) - with the occasional brilliant idea thrown in. I've yet to see a single fully involving game - and I can honestly claim that I've tried hard, as I'm a passionate gamer quite open to any platform - but the game itself comes first.

World of Goo, for instance, I think potentially works better on iPad than on Wii, but I don't know. I don't have a Wii. Also, it's a physics puzzler, and you only want CRPGs.

Neat little platformer - but ultimately more of a cute toy than an interesting game. Not for me, anyway.

I stopped playing simplistic platformers/puzzlers at Lemmings.

*throws cat*

How many have you got???

I'm all for a good, polished, consistent game. There doesn't have to be microbes crawling around in the skin pores of the orc charging at me - he just has to move realistically and smoothly and look somewhat like an orc.
Old 2d art-based games looked great; 3d was a step backwards for many years and is only of late capturing the old immersion as the technology begins to hide how everything is constructed. Walking through big blurry 2d sprites that turn to face you or have people with heads made of lego has been the norm for too long.
As the technology improves it becomes more complex, and (wrongly) its simple availability will bring comparison against devs that don't have the money or ability to have these super-detailed characters and environments drawn.
The menu screenshots for Skyrim posted a while back made me despair, but at the same time made me feel good to have a mod community around and willing to fix this stuff. Console gamers are missing out there - big time.

Oh: gameplay video, please!

Only 267 days till I get this in my hands. Yay!!! :D

World of Goo, for instance, I think potentially works better on iPad than on Wii, but I don't know.
You can play that on PC.

DArtagnan spoke of genuine games on mobile devices, which I interpret as: games which you can't find in the same or better quality on another platform.

So you would need to give an example of a game that is so special compared to PC games that it is worth buying the new platform in order to be able to play it.

So you would need to give an example of a game that is so special compared to PC games that it is worth buying the new platform in order to be able to play it.

Who buys an iPhone for games though? Having a decent game would simply be a nice bonus, not a primary reason someone would buy one.

Who buys an iPhone for games? Having a decent game would simply be a nice bonus, not a primary reason someone would buy one.
It is however, how I understood DArtagnans use of "genuine" .

For myself I can say that I don't see a reason to play games on a mobile device even though I have one.

When I want a to play a game I play it on PC, I am not interested to play, when travelling, for example (I read books then).

So for me the only reason to play a game on a mobile device would in fact also be, if there was a game so special and original, that I couldn't find anything comparable on PC.

Any of you have information or theories as to why there is no talk at all about new videogame consoles? I've been wondering this for a while now... not that I'm anxious for a new console or anything, but usually somewhere around the 3-5 year mark you at least start to hear about a new console coming down the pike.

If I remember right Xbox 360 was released in 2005 - 6 years ago

Playstation 3 was released 2006

Wii also in 2006...

You'd think there would be some chatter about new consoles coming but other than handhelds by Nintendo and Sony, no mention of new consoles.

So for me the only reason to play a game on a mobile device would in fact also be, if there was a game so special and original, that I couldn't find anything comparable on PC.

I feel the same way, but I still wouldn't buy any particular mobile device for a single game. The game would be secondary to the other features offered by that device.

Any of you have information or theories as to why there is no talk at all about new videogame consoles? I've been wondering this for a while now… not that I'm anxious for a new console or anything, but usually somewhere around the 3-5 year mark you at least start to hear about a new console coming down the pike.

If I remember right Xbox 360 was released in 2005 - 6 years ago

Playstation 3 was released 2006

Wii also in 2006…

You'd think there would be some chatter about new consoles coming but other than handhelds by Nintendo and Sony, no mention of new consoles.

This is no rocket science: MS and Sony spent a lot of money sponsoring their consoles in the first years. Especially Sony had to overcome a lot of buyer's scepticism (PS2 success and retail price among them) by selling way under price. The number of games on both consoles combined now have the amount of games the PS2 had alone. And remember: Early in a console cycle only the games make money - the hardware loses it. But by now the consoles themselves make profit, too (optimized product cycle) - so why scare away customer's [and so incoming money] by announcing new technology early?

Nintendo is a different beast, though. They WILL release a HD-Wii within a year, just to get back on eye level marketing wise.

Who buys an iPhone for games though? Having a decent game would simply be a nice bonus, not a primary reason someone would buy one.
Not you but kids, hence the DS huge market crash last year. Don't look at devices only with your eyes:
  • Most kids have very accurate eyes and even those using glasses don't have eyes as tired than older people, so the Lilliput screen isn't a problem for kids.
  • Unlike the PC of the family you can bring your ipod or iphone at school that's a clear reason why want an ipod or even an iphone mainly for games.
  • Unlike the PC you can use your iphone or ipod to play games in the bus bringing you at school and there's no parent around to look over your shoulder or enter suddenly in the room.
  • Unlike the PC there are many games that sell $1 or $2 and every week they are ton of sales at $1, that sort of price fit much better the personal budget of kids so they can just ask an itune card to parents and buy with it 20 games of their choice without real control of parents.

Last Christmas a statistic has been done for gifts wish from American, for the younger range the iphone+ipod was largely ahead, and the ipad close behind.

I feel the same way, but I still wouldn't buy any particular mobile device for a single game. The game would be secondary to the other features offered by that device.

Yeah.

I haven't played consoles at all since the original Playstation, and not with any dedication since the SNES, but I would buy one if it offered me something I want and cannot get on PC. None of them do that at the moment, the only games on them are in the same styles and genres I can play on PC only with worse graphics and controls.

The motion controller stuff is at least unique but sadly does not interest me. Same with phone stuff, my girl has a smart phone and it's alright but there isn't an experience there I can't get on the PC that I want to have.

Back
Top Bottom