Avencast - Demo Now Available@ Various Sites

magerette

Hedgewitch
If anyone decides to give this a shot - please post something about your
experiences. I'd be very interested to know.

same here, I am very interested in their combat system, is it really that different from your normal click-fest action RPGs?

I'm downloading it now, but it may be awhile before I get a chance to play it.

Ok...interesting

But crashed my computer twice, and takes forever to load...
But, the combat is pretty decent...could be fun..
Cheers!

I have played only a little part of the demo: the tutorial and a little part of the game. It is an hack and slash (I think) but the combat is different and more fun. It isn't mindless klicking anymore. Youcan still play it that way but than you mis the most of the game I think.
you have several combos( special moves) wich cause a different melee attack or an other kind of magic attack. you have to perform several moves with the right mouseklick to perform the spells wich makes it a lot more fun.
I will tell more once I played more (probably monday )

thanks for the impression on the combat titus. I think I will give it a shot.

I've played it, it's interesting enough. It definitely won't be a(nother) huge, epic RPG, but should turn out to be good for some lighthearted fun. Combat is interesting: you've got two ways to dodge (rolling and sidestepping in all four directions), and you cast spells by a key combination (ie. Left Up LMB) - alternatively, you can map 'em to F1-4. You've got a melee attack (staff swing, LMB) and a ranged one (magic from stuff, RMB), and a full set of spells for each mouse button, plus some summoning spells that I haven't tried out.

I've even encountered a puzzle of a sort, but I didn't manage to solve it before I was killed (yes, you can die. Yay!). At this point, the only thing I really dislike is the Harry Potter-esque feel (also reminds me of Technomage a bit) - you are playing a young wizard who is going to wizard school...

The demo is, IMO, worth trying out.

Sound: great sound and together with the dark environment it creates a creepy feeling.

leveling: every level you get 10 points wich you can use for buying a new spell or/and improving your stats.

encountered a first puzzle. ony solved a part. needed to find a code for opening a gate and the code was written in a book you find if you clear the dungeon. But the gate next to that one was impossible to open for me :(
VPeric were you able to open it?

Finally got around to playing through the Avencast demo. It is a blast! The puzzles add a bit of interest and the WASD + dodge stuff is fantastic during the frantic fights. If it was just point and click it would not be half as interesting as it is. I also liked the Hard to be a God demo for the same reason.

Also I was able to run it at 1680x1050 on my lowly x850 XT with everything maxed out so I'm pretty happy with that.

I'll be picking this one up!

Sound: great sound and together with the dark environment it creates a creepy feeling.

leveling: every level you get 10 points wich you can use for buying a new spell or/and improving your stats.

encountered a first puzzle. ony solved a part. needed to find a code for opening a gate and the code was written in a book you find if you clear the dungeon. But the gate next to that one was impossible to open for me :(
VPeric were you able to open it?

If I recall the sequence correctly you have to walk around the bridge to get the book and then solve the candle puzzle to get the lever. Then activate the switch to get the doors to open. The book thing was a nice touch!

I played the demo, too and I really like this game :) It has an interesting combat of puzzle solving, combat and magic about it that makes it somewhat unique in this day and age.

I had some trouble with the book thing too. Mostly it came from not knowing that you needed to cross the bridge without really crossing it. There's a hint given by some sort of skull hanging on the wall, though.

Later, you will need a password to get through a door. There are three objects you will need to find. Be sure to surveil the area thorughly...and be extra careful not letting even the slightest detail overlooked. Be sure also to download the patch for the demo...

Back
Top Bottom