Bard's Tale IV - Here Comes MCA

Meh, does nothing for me. Not a fan. If they had said Nathan Long, the guy who is working on their new torment game, then that would have excited me. He is a very good fantasy writer, I have read some of his Warhammer books.

If anyone is curious and enjoys fantasy, check out his Ulrika the Vampire series, really superb. He is the real deal.

Even then though, I doubt it would have gotten me to pledge. I need to see what the game play will look like first, not sold on the concept or idea at all. I'm actually kind of shocked they even reached their first main goal, to be honest. I guess there really are a lot of gamers who played those Bards Tale games back in the day. As for me, never heard of 'em.

Meh, does nothing for me. Not a fan. If they had said Nathan Long, the guy who is working on their new torment game, then that would have excited me. He is a very good fantasy writer, I have read some of his Warhammer books.

If anyone is curious and enjoys fantasy, check out his Ulrika the Vampire series, really superb. He is the real deal.

Even then though, I doubt it would have gotten me to pledge. I need to see what the game play will look like first, not sold on the concept or idea at all. I'm actually kind of shocked they even reached their first main goal, to be honest. I guess there really are a lot of gamers who played those Bards Tale games back in the day. As for me, never heard of 'em.
I agree Arkadia7. One thing to note is the amount of backers/money earned compared to their last two games. So it's safe to say only a select few are very interested in backing.

Anyway I will be more interested when they announce a Pathfinder, or Van Buren RPG game. Still I did back this game at the minimum amount just to get a digital copy.:)

I agree Arkadia7. One thing to note is the amount of backers/money earned compared to their last two games. So it's safe to say only a select few are very interested in backing.

Anyway I will be more interested when they announce a Pathfinder, or Van Buren RPG game. Still I did back this game at the minimum amount just to get a digital copy.:)

Yea, I also wish they had come up with something else too, Couch. When they announced the bards tale game, it was like WTF? - was my reaction. I'm not trying to bad mouth the company or anything like that, I do like inXile.

I wouldn't have bought Wasteland 2, and backed Torment: Tides of Numerna if I didn't. And am looking forward to other new games from them in future.

To each their own, this one is huge for me....

Comparing backing from their other games until now cannot be done in a vacuum. I think there is some kickstarter fatigue.

Van buren would be a waste....just do another wasteland instead.

To each their own, this one is huge for me….

Comparing backing from their other games until now cannot be done in a vacuum. I think there is some kickstarter fatigue.

Yep, pretty much the case for me. If this had been launched a year ago, I would have likely backed them. As it stands, I've spent circa $500 in the past couple years on projects I have yet to play for one reason or another.

Van buren would be a waste….just do another wasteland instead.

I want another Wasteland game too. The setting and theme just really appeals to me.

Van buren would be a waste….just do another wasteland instead.

I'll use your own words here. To each their own.:biggrin:

Anyway I wouldn't mind another Wasteland game either, but its safe to say a Van Buren game will be made some point in the future based on various internet interviews.

Still I'm more interested in playing the rumored Pathfinder RPG.

I'll use your own words here. To each their own.:biggrin:

Anyway I wouldn't mind another Wasteland game either, but its safe to say a Van Buren game will be made some point in the future based on various internet interviews.

Still I'm more interested in playing the rumored Pathfinder RPG.

My point was that it was/is too similar to wasteland....they would be fighting their own brand.

My point was that it was/is too similar to wasteland….they would be fighting their own brand.
True but Avellone had a good concept that would make the game completely different than Wasteland, and besides one can never play enough Post apocalyptic RPGs.

I have no problem with these stretch goals, but there's really nothing that could entice me to pony up more than I already am for the $95 Collector's edition.

The main reason being, Fargo doesn't need any kind of blockbuster KS to achieve success here. Hell, I really don't think he needs KS at all to sustain his successful business. Wasteland should have netted more than 2 or 3 Kickstarters combined, and Torment will come out before BT4 and fill up the coffers bigtime.

He's got a good team put together that will make a great Bard's Tale game, regardless of what stretch goals have or haven't been hit. So I have a hard time seeing the KS campaign as anything other than marketing...

More power to 'em, though. Really looking forward to this game...

The Bard's Tales (particularly III) had some excellent Dungeon Master-like ambient text descriptions to help shape the atmospheres of locations found within dungeons. They also delivered their relevant stories minimally and efficiently. I'm still particularly quite fond of the narratives of Lucencia and Gelidia for instance which hold a special place in my formative RPG-heart. :)

I like and enjoy MCA's work. His veteran experience in design and the fact that the Bard's Tale registers as such a pivotal experience for him, tells me that he'll make a fine choice for the Cairn of Horrors should that stretch goal be reached.

I hope the InXile team are really pushing their dungeon design skills to the limits with this game and that it will infuse the genre with new ideas and energy for years to come.

Given what Avellone did to Star Wars, I'm really happy I'm not invested in Wasteland - as I'd likely not enjoy his "personal" touch on that kind of game.

I always assumed Nathan Long would be working on BT4. He has worked on the 2 previous KS products, and has done some work on the BT4 KS. He wrote some backstory in one of the updates, and wrote the lyrics to the song miracleofsound did. I could be wrong though, I had just assumed.

Sometimes I read these things and smile and think about what a wonderful time for RPG games we're living in where we have the luxury of these petty exchanges ... compared to where we were 5 or 10 years ago ...

What's petty about them?

Because we've had more games in the last 18 months that fall in the 'good' or 'very good' *at least* ... than we had games that were even *decent* a decade ago in the genre, where FATE was one of the better releases ...

Because we've had more games in the last 18 months that fall in the 'good' or 'very good' *at least* … than we had games that were even *decent* a decade ago in the genre, where FATE was one of the better releases …

So, because the past was terrible for this kind of RPG, we can't have issues with those that exist in the present without being petty?

Sounds like terrible logic to me.

I guess you're the sort of person who thinks we should all be grateful that we're not slaves, because that's how some people used to live?

Back
Top Bottom