Legends of Dawn - Ready for Release

Your guy walks so slow it takes awhile to get to areas.

The more you have stuff in your inventory the slower you "run". First thing I realize, my inventory was full by the time I reached the tavern. Ahahaha, my King Guard is such a looter.

My main complains is that it needs a better tutorial (unlocking chest for example). It could also use some tooltips (attributes, skills, items). Hopefully, the manual explain some stuff.

I also saw that you can create your own spells, but at level 1 that isn't going to happen yet.

In order to unlock chests you get runes from loot and you drag the runes that match the ones that are glowing to unlock stuff. I haven't actually unlocked anything but have dragged over some matching runes and there is a sound. The problem with it though is that they glow too brightly so it is really hard to make out what rune it needs.

Eep, IIRC this one was originally KS on the premise that it was quite far along indeed and the funds were to shore things up---if they ultimately garner a perception that it was actually early and has now also released "early" that will poison the well a bit indeed going forward. They need to be aggressive in post-release support and further dev if they want to overcome stumbling out of the starting block and get a good run going.

First patch is out-seems to fix startup problems for some.
There is also a 24 min video posted on Youtube that give a better glimpse into gameplay. It looks sort of like what i was expecting so I'll probably download it tonight. Inventory and rune usage look interesting. camera doesn't really bother me and if they address it with a patch I'll be okay.
Wasn't this supposed to be a 40-50 hour game?

Sacred,
What is Lionheart's Barcelona? Did not find what you are referring to on Google.. but hey I am interested in anything if you could give me a bit more detail to clarify..

I guess my question would be (assuming that patches fix this up a bit), do KS pledgers get a deal on this game, over what they would have spent buying the title in the store, had development gone the traditional route instead? In other words, before inditing the KS process (as some are apt to do), isn't it more a case of "some games are good, and others not so good"? I don't necessarily buy the argument that, "well, I wouldn't have bought it in the store, had I known it was a poorly made game", as I have a stack of coasters, some decades old, that show the fallacy of that argument (and I doubt that I am alone there). So, again, at the end of the day, if we can expect to own a percentage of "duds", aren't KS duds at least a cheaper risk? There, that was my yearly departure from being a constant cynic.

Not every KS project can be a huge success… maybe this will become a late mediocrity. At the moment it sounds like a rushed mess.

I guess my question would be (assuming that patches fix this up a bit), do KS pledgers get a deal on this game, over what they would have spent buying the title in the store, had development gone the traditional route instead? In other words, before inditing the KS process (as some are apt to do), isn't it more a case of "some games are good, and others not so good"? I don't necessarily buy the argument that, "well, I wouldn't have bought it in the store, had I known it was a poorly made game", as I have a stack of coasters, some decades old, that show the fallacy of that argument (and I doubt that I am alone there). So, again, at the end of the day, if we can expect to own a percentage of "duds", aren't KS duds at least a cheaper risk? There, that was my yearly departure from being a constant cynic.

Approximate figures are: The lowest game tier on Kickstarter was $15 which is about £10. Current steam price, with initial 20% discount is £12.

This could still be a decent game if they patch it up a bit, but they aren't likely to be able to do that quickly enough not to take a big a hit when reviews start coming out and will probably end up with a dismal metacritic score as a result.

The big mistake they made was not to use KS pledgers to beta test the game. In fact I sent them a mail some months ago suggesting that they do that and got no reply (I find that other pldegers did much the same). I guess that the final stages of development must have been a massive firefighting exercise to release the game before their funding ran out. Just hope they can recover as I'm sure they are a decent development team trying to do their best, who just miscalculated a bit. And that's not restricted to small devs, there are almost as many disastrous launches as not from big publishers too - look at Sim City and Diablo 3. The difficulty for small devs is its likely to be harder to recover.

Played just for a short time...

1. It crashed on me with C++ error on the first reload. But then Steam patched it. After that, it didn't crash.
2. Intro movie activates ffdshow. WTF? I haven't seen modern stuff runs ffdshow for a long time and I have it installed because of some very old apps I use. Still, it ain't a bug.
3. No subtitles. Big deal? To me it is.
4. Set everything on max, it still runs smoothly but my UPS is protesting and beeps! The gfx card is under pressure, wants too much of juice (watts) and honestly I see no spectacular gfx!
5. The hero is unbelievably slow even with not much weight in inventory. Okay I don't expect Blood Dragon speed, but this is somehow too slow.
6. No tooltips where expected.

Other than that so far it's okay. I really like the chest unlock system (except the thing where runes are lit too bright so you have to experiment or whatnot). Didn't try crafting yet, dunno if it's possible this early. I also like you don't get quest markers but have to explore. This early in the game dunno what's with spawns/respawns, hopefully there won't be (much of those).

But sorry, this is definetly not Skyrimlike bug-o-rama as some hinted.

Sacred,
What is Lionheart's Barcelona? Did not find what you are referring to on Google.. but hey I am interested in anything if you could give me a bit more detail to clarify..

I was talking about the "Barcelona" location in Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader. Though admittedly, that's not alpha state, more like a beta (fully playable but completely unbalanced).

- Interplay going down
- Reflexive who makes less than epic games even today
- Josh Sawyer

Mix those things and the result is Lionheart.

But sorry, this is definetly not Skyrimlike bug-o-rama as some hinted.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think Skyrim was more buggy then this.

It's possible. It's also possible I do have. Not just it was, but somehow I believe it still is.

…But sorry, this is definetly not Skyrimlike bug-o-rama as some hinted.

I agree, it's way worse!

I played Skyrim right out of the box the day it was released: game never crashed, had litterally 0 problems. If there where any, they where patched before I noticed.

Of course, it helps if your PC isn't made out of crap, duct tape and twigs, like with people who think a no brand Nvidia card is just as good as an ASUS. I often laugh my ass of when people rage about a game not working while it plays like a boss on my AAA-brand PC…

Last edited:
Back on topic: Legends of Dawn is a BAD game. I would advice simply not buying it until the devs patched the sh*t out of it.

FYI, I played the game until I was level 5. Since leveling is slooooow, that took a while.

For me, the game isn't unplayable, but for others it is. Game just isn't very much fun however, and the worst thing is that they pass all the missing or broken features off as "old school". Devs are from Eastern Europe I believe, so they might confuse "old school" with "lazy development".

Graphics are bad. Yes, it's a Kickstarter game, and they made it all from scratch, but it's still bad. Animations are horrible, rendering is slow and awefull, and optimalisation is something the devs simply said "Njet" to. My PC can play a game like Far Cry 3 with most bells and whistles without breaking a sweat, yet here my GPU seems to be getting ready for lift-off.

Sound. Music is OK, same with SFX. Nothing earth shattering but nothing special either. However, the voice-overs are some of the worst I've ever heard. Yes, they are THAT bad. If that is what the Kickstarter money was supposed to be spend on, I guess the devs all ride around in new cars with a jet-ski on a trailer…

Gameplay. Now this is what it's all about. Elitist nerds always pretend that graphics don't matter, so the gameplay of this game better be good right? Well, it isn't.

Combat is awkward. It's very similar to a game like Neverwinter Night, where you actually hack away and you (and your opponent) hit or miss depending on rolls. In this game, you miss a lot. "FUN"… It's basically clicking away until either your health or that of the opponent reaches 0. Funny note, your opponent actually dies before the bar is empty due to some strange lag.

Now looting, that's also important. And that's where this game doesn't suck! Plenty of chests, cabinets and bags around that contain all kinds of stuff like (boring) weapons, herbs, gemstones, etc. However, some containers are locked, and need to be unlocked by using combinations of runes you find along the way. Since those runes are all over the game, it's nearly impossible to open any locked boxes in the first hours of the game. It's a nice idea, but it doesn't really work and I can imagine it becomes tedious fast.

Magic… can't say too much about this. Some runes can be converted and combined into spells. Since I play melee I only made a healing spell, which takes forever to cast and doesn't do that much (1 HP/s for about 6 seconds).

Crafting. Interesting idea this. Put points into certain crafting skills and you can make items depending on the ingredients you have (which you can loot). Nice idea, but a major skill like metalworking (to melt ores into bars) is bugged and doesn't work. Since you need bars for other crafting skills like weapon and armorworking, most of the crafting becomes impossible. For me, this was the dealbreaker. I refuse to walk around with 20kg of copper ore because the devs didn't test the game.

Quest are quite standard. Fetch this, give that, kill X of Y. They are however accompanied by huge pages of text, so the lore-fanatics might like those. Oh, and it's all "old school", since there are no quest markers and no help in the map/compass. JUST FOR THAT REASON, some guys think this game is godlike, because "it doesn't hold you by the hand, and you have to be smart for this game". Well, if you where so smart, you wouldn't have bought this game in the first place. Now go back to playing Dark Souls...

All in all this game is quite the disaster. I give it 4/10 because it IS playable, and it seems at heart to be a solid RPG. It's just not much fun to play, but if you are REALLY hankering for a RPG, I guess this can be fun for 15 euro's until something better comes along.

Last edited:
Elitist nerds always pretend that graphics don't matter,

I don't give a shit about graphics. I don't give a flying fuck how "pretty" or "breathtaking" a game looks. If the gameplay sucks, I won't touch it. If that makes me an "elitist nerd", so be it. A game looks great but gameplay sucks. Another plays great, is a hell of a lot of fun, but the graphics suck. I will play the game that's actually fun, while you can go ahead and admire how gorgeous the castle looks.

Combat is awkward. It's very similar to a game like Neverwinter Night, where you actually hack away and you (and your opponent) hit or miss depending on rolls. In this game, you miss a lot. "FUN"…

Your success in combat is largely dependent on skill in whatever weapon you are using which builds as you use it.

FYI, I played the game until I was level 5. Since leveling is slooooow, that took a while.

So this is a problem for you. This isn't Diablo or Dungeon Siege. D&D ia extremely slow leveling and where's the griping over that.

Graphics are bad. Yes, it's a Kickstarter game, and they made it all from scratch, but it's still bad. Animations are horrible, rendering is slow and awefull, and optimalisation is something the devs simply said "Njet" to. My PC can play a game like Far Cry 3 with most bells and whistles without breaking a sweat, yet here my GPU seems to be getting ready for lift-off.

I will agree somewhat here. The game is in need of optimization and fixes which I have read are in the works. It reminds me a lot of Arcanum which I still play today. Don't compare it to Far Cry because they are very different genres and yes they are an indie studio.

Crafting. Interesting idea this. Put points into certain crafting skills and you can make items depending on the ingredients you have (which you can loot). Nice idea, but a major skill like metalworking (to melt ores into bars) is bugged and doesn't work. Since you need bars for other crafting skills like weapon and armorworking, most of the crafting becomes impossible. For me, this was the dealbreaker. I refuse to walk around with 20kg of copper ore because the devs didn't test the game.

And other people are making bars because they read the manual. I was also put off because the game seemed incomprehensible but this is one game you need to read the manual.

As far as weight, you can't tell me you haven't noticed you can re-use chests. By the first gate there is a house with lockers and chests that provide 75 storage. That's usually true in most houses but I like the one by the gate because its kind of central to where I am right now. There is a better option coming up that I won't spoil but you should almost never be running around heavy.

Now go back to playing Dark Souls…

That's your choice

UH, It took 2 months of patching before I could play Skyrim without crashing and my computer and GFX card are all first rate. Some people's machines just had problems with it. I had less issues with Oblivion and another example was Morrowind which was horrible out of the box with the running lag ala jerk every 5 secs of running. Took lots of patches and mods to fix that and they had hundreds of people working on it.
I have only had 1 crash with this game and it happed when I saved over an existing save. When I reloaded I was right where I started like I should be.

Last edited:
optimalisation is something the devs simply said "Njet
Just a nitpick on the flamepost.... Devs in this game could say "ne" to optimisation. Njet is russian word and the game is not.

I still didn't continue to play it (time is short today) so can't speak more - but I did use chests for storage since the start - I thought it was obvious - apparently it's not.

In response to redman5427

Your success in combat is largely dependent on skill in whatever weapon you are using which builds as you use it.

No that's not how it works. You have to assign points received on level up to each skill which takes forever due to the dreadfully slow game play and leveling process.

So this is a problem for you. This isn't Diablo or Dungeon Siege. D&D ia extremely slow leveling and where's the griping over that.

Gaining levels is WAY faster in Diablo, Dungeon Seige and well…. basically every RPG I've ever played.

I will agree somewhat here. The game is in need of optimization and fixes which I have read are in the works. It reminds me a lot of Arcanum which I still play today. Don't compare it to Far Cry because they are very different genres and yes they are an indie studio.

And other people are making bars because they read the manual. I was also put off because the game seemed incomprehensible but this is one game you need to read the manual.

There really isn't much you can get from the manual unfortunately. Nothing in the manual will cure the dreadfully slow paced game play which includes movement of your avatar and the leveling process.

As far as weight, you can't tell me you haven't noticed you can re-use chests. By the first gate there is a house with lockers and chests that provide 75 storage. That's usually true in most houses but I like the one by the gate because its kind of central to where I am right now. There is a better option coming up that I won't spoil but you should almost never be running around heavy.

OK you are correct in this point.

That's your choice

UH, It took 2 months of patching before I could play Skyrim without crashing and my computer and GFX card are all first rate. Some people's machines just had problems with it. I had less issues with Oblivion and another example was Morrowind which was horrible out of the box with the running lag ala jerk every 5 secs of running. Took lots of patches and mods to fix that and they had hundreds of people working on it.
I have only had 1 crash with this game and it happed when I saved over an existing save. When I reloaded I was right where I started like I should be.

Don't compare this game's alpha quality state to that of Skyrim at launch. Skyrim was like a slice of heaven compared to this game.

Back
Top Bottom