RPGWatch Feature: NWN Premium Modules Retrospective

Hmm. Didn't notice when Bioware removed the modules from their webstore, but it wouldn't have hurt to send out some sort of warning to the customers before shutting the whole thing down. I bought them all and I don't really think I have more than three of them backed up.

Anyway, nice retrospective.

Hmm. Didn't notice when Bioware removed the modules from their webstore, but it wouldn't have hurt to send out some sort of warning to the customers before shutting the whole thing down. I bought them all and I don't really think I have more than three of them backed up.

Anyway, nice retrospective.

Actually - if you already own them you can re-download from your store account.

I think Bioware has actually handled this well - they can't sell anymore, but they still support them in every other way.

They did still allow download for owners for some time but last I checked the link no longer worked.

They did still allow download for owners for some time but last I checked the link no longer worked.

Yep, they've changed the store. You used to be able to login just using your Bioware account, but now you have to create a new account and anything to do with the premium modules is no longer there.

Yep, they've changed the store. You used to be able to login just using your Bioware account, but now you have to create a new account and anything to do with the premium modules is no longer there.

Holy crap you're right! They're all gone ... I must have just barely gotten in! I'll have to recheck the authentication on my netbook again.

According to good ol' Chris Priestly (Bioware Community Manager):
There is a new Store, but we no longer have anything to do with NwN Premium modules. You would need to contact Atari for help with them as they are the publisher.

And
We gave as much notice as we were given by Atari back when they made us remove the NwN materials from the page which happened back in early November 2009. Sorry.

That is really too bad ...

Yep, and this is one of the few instances where it's 100% justified imo.

Sadly enough I completely agree ... Bioware can't help in any way, Atari WON'T help ... and it is only a matter of time before they pull authentication (it still works as I played Infinite Dungeons last week for a bit).

Yet another fine example of DRM hurting only paying customers!

I never tried a premium module other than the ones that I own, but IIRC in the 1.68 update they removed DRM for NWN itself, however I am NOT sure if this ALSO removed the DRM for the premium modules.

1.69 is the current update and, presumably, the last.

I was disappointed last summer to find ALL of the NWN1 premium modules gone as there were a few more that I was hoping to pick up. (Also was sort of expecting a bargain on them as NWN was effectively dead by then. Not even Atari's own store has them!)

@Thrasher (and anyone else who may have been thinking about that)
Those are merely the 1st 3 expansions which are also include in the NWN Diamond Pack(maybe gold too... not sure about the European compilation release though).

Last edited:
I just wonder where they are now ? The modules I mean.

Does Atari want to publish them themselves ?

Nice article, noticed over at ITS that there's apparently a recently updated demo for the Purgatorio modules btw.

@Thrasher (and anyone else who may have been thinking about that)
Those are merely the 1st 3 expansions which are also include in the NWN Diamond Pack(maybe gold too… not sure about the European compilation release though).

Yes, that is why I wrote "you can still get the cd from amazon for the first three".

I never tried a premium module other than the ones that I own, but IIRC in the 1.68 update they removed DRM for NWN itself, however I am NOT sure if this ALSO removed the DRM for the premium modules.

No - 1.68 removed the CD-check, but the DRM for the Premium Modules was an Atari thing and entirely different ... and never went away.

Does anyone have the manual installation versions of the Premium Modules? Comes as a .zip instead of .exe and is basically a Linux compatible version of the module. I did download the zip versions when they stopped selling them from the BioWare store but I can't seem to find them now. As far as I can tell the authentication process is checking if my CD-Key(s) are registered as owner of the modules. I may be a borderline case to request any one to provide the files but basically the files would be useless without ownership of the modules.

Excellent retrospective Mike.

I just picked up the Diamond version of NWN on the GOG Christmas sale and it's great to be able to catch up on as much info as I can about the different modules available, there is sooo much out there it's tough to know where to jump in, but starting to get a feel for it all now. The combo of RPGWatch and tips from GOG forums is helping a lot.

Back
Top Bottom