Kickstarter - Bloom, an Action Adventure RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
If adventure RPGs are your thing then you might want to check out the Kickstarter for Bloom. They are asking $50K and are currently at $11K with 34 more days to go.
Bloom: Memories is a beautiful artistic take on the action-adventure / RPG genre that carries players through an epic journey following the theme of the “purest love”; that between a mother and her child.
Bloom strives to capture the innocent feeling of adventure and discovery (taking lessons from such classic games as “The Legend of Zelda”) while at the same time pushing the experience deeper with a heartfelt story of love and sacrifice.
Of course, beyond the story and artwork, Bloom also features strong game design which not only provides fun game play but also further supports the story and art direction.
A few examples of these are:
Linked Heart Mechanic – Because of the special bond between the main character and his mother, they share in each other’s pain and sacrifice for each other. This is represented by five hearts for both characters at the top of the screen which heal over time.
For the mother, these typically allow for her to protect the main character at a distance when he needs her most. While for the main character, his can be used to give him extra strength to rise to the challenges of the world. And, for both characters, pieces of their heart may break during moments of emotional pain.
Be careful though, a persons heart can only take so much before it gives up completely.
Single Energy / Health Bar – With Bloom, the energy and life bar combine to create another layer of strategy to combat while simultaneously simplifying the interface and allowing players to focus more on the game. We want combat to have elements of thoughtful purpose, of considering the costs and advantages to using different abilities. Mindlessly mashing buttons will only get you so far in this world. Luckily there are also a variety of ways to replenish your strength, though of course they too come with considerations.
The Bridge – The bridge is where the energy of life exists overlaying the world and its inhabitance. While this is all theory, rumor has it that with enough training one can begin to open their mind to this plane and even walk within it at will. Inside the bridge one can see the true nature of friend and foe, past the physical aspects of a being and into their hearts.
They say the bridge contains an entire world for one to explore… though, be warned, the bridge can be a hostile place to the unprepared.
The Linked Heart and Bridge features are explained in more detail in updates 1 and 3.

More information.

Feels a bit sickly sweet. Not sure I could play it without feeling sick.

Why not give it a chance before so quickly dismissing it? It looks like the story is going to be very emotional, but the game itself I believe is an adventure/RPG inspired by Zelda-like games. At any rate, I was blown away by the artwork. A very unique look, which I think is saying a lot. I'm looking forward to this!

Feels a bit sickly sweet. Not sure I could play it without feeling sick.

Perhaps so. Not wanting to seem non-PC here, but the theme seems like one that may appeal a little more to a female audience. The problem for them is that 77% of the Kickstarter audience is male. I'm not sure how well that will work out for them.

Back
Top Bottom