Was 2013 A Good/Not Bad/Great Year for RPGs?

Was 2013 A Good Year for RPGs?

• Damn Right it Was

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I Have No Clue

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Hell No

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • 2014 Will Be Better

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well since it's a new year I thought it was time to ask a simple question with a new poll. The question I'm asking Was 2013 A Good Year for RPGs?

Unfortunately I have to pick option four myself. Sorry as next year is definitely better just look at the coming soon game list on site.:spotlight-right::nod::spotlight-left:

2013 RPGs

The Banner Saga: Faction
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
Akaneiro: Demon Hunters
Van Helsing I: Complete Pack
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
The Dark Eye: Demonicon
FORCED
Path of Exile
Space Rangers HD: A War Apart
Divinity: Dragon Commander
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Shadowrun Returns
Ittle Dew
Legends of Dawn
Rogue Legacy
Neverwinter
Knights of Pen & Paper (+1 Edition)
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode Four
Expeditions: Conquistador
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Mars: War Logs
Star Wars: The Old Republic - Rise of the Hutt Cartel
Mass Effect 3: Citadel
The Shadow Sun
Blood Knights
XCOM: Enemy Within
Paper Sorcerer
Avadon 2: The Corruption
Drox Operative: Invasion of the Ancients
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut
Eldritch
Legends of Aethereus
FTL
Aarklash: Legacy
Space Hulk
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Eador: Master of the Broken World
Sacred: Citadel PC
Bioshock Infinite
Driftmoon

2014 Possible RPGs

SpellForce 2: Demons of the Past
Might & Magic X: Legacy
Blackguards
Frontiers
Lords of Xulima
Worlds of Magic
Eschalon: Book III
The Banner Saga
Divinity: Original Sin
Planet Explorers
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Age of Wonders 3
Pillars of Eternity
Nuclear Union
7 Days to Die
Sui Generis
Bound By Flame
Wasteland 2
Dex
Soul Saga
Ghost of a Tale
Balrum
River City Ransom: Underground
Dead State
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Bloom: Memories
The Meridian Shard
Satellite Reign
The Mandate
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lords of the Fallen
Project Phoenix

Age of Decadence
Always Sometimes Monsters
Ambrov X
Astral Terra
Child Of Light
Cosmic Star Heroine
Cradle
Cube World
Cyberpunk 2077
Dark Souls II
Dimiria - The Agrarian Falls
Frayed Knights 2: The Khan of Wrath
Graywalkers: Purgatory
Grim Dawn
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Hartacon Tactics
Hero-U
Heroes of a Broken Land
Hyper Light Drifter
Incognita
Jagged Alliance: Flashback
Knights of the Chalice II
Legend of Grimrock 2
Legends of Eisenwald
Legends Of Persia
Lichdom
Liege
Mage's Initiation
Massive Chalice
Meriwether
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Project Zomboid
Raven's Cry
REBORN
Sacred 3
Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
Starpoint Gemini 2
Sully: A Very Serious RPG announced
Tahira : Echoes of the Astral Empire
Telepath Tactics
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II
The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky SC
The Memory of Eldurim
The Seed
Transistor
Underrail
Unrest
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Xenonauts

Last edited by a moderator:
For (re)playing games from other years, sure! ;)

This one can either be amazing... or amazingly disappointing (knock on wood - insert your favorite good luck charm/superstition here - ).

Seriously though, I would be very surprised if we didn't get at least a handful of pretty satisfying RPGs in 2014..

Strange poll options though. What should I chose if I thought that 2013 was a good year, but 2014 will be better? ;)

Strange poll options though. What should I chose if I thought that 2013 was a good year, but 2014 will be better? ;)

You should perhaps choose that one if you thought 2013 was a good year for RPGs, but you think that 2014 will be even better.

Not strange at all let me simplify it for you.
1. Yes/Damn Right it Was
2. I Don't Know/I Have No Clue
3. No/ Hell No
4. I Don't Care/ 2014 Will Be Better
It's called being creative instead of having the same old tired options.

So keep the votes coming as the poll will stay open I set no close date. Option four will most likely win anyway.:)

Last edited:
I don't even remember what RPGs came out last year.... Someone remind me?

I don't think I can remember playing any RPGs from this year, apart from Dragonborn if we're including expansions. I'd have to say that makes it a no from me.

I don't think I can remember playing any RPGs from this year, apart from Dragonborn if we're including expansions. I'd have to say that makes it a no from me.
Yes you can include expansions. I don't think we will be having A GOTY Awards this year as Myrthos is busy. I may have to think of some other way.
Wow, ok then - it's been a very, very bad year :(
Yes it has. 2014 already looks to be better if none of them get delayed. I remember most of us thought the same last year.

Look how that turned out.:disappointed:

Was Skyrim really only last year? I thought it was 2012. Ah well, memory is the first thing to go they say!! :) The problem with the poll for me is that 'good' can be so general. Was it a good year, perhaps. Was it a GREAT year? Well, I think the answer to that is obvious!!

Was Skyrim really only last year? I thought it was 2012. Ah well, memory is the first thing to go they say!! :) The problem with the poll for me is that 'good' can be so general. Was it a good year, perhaps. Was it a GREAT year? Well, I think the answer to that is obvious!!

Skyrim was 2011.

Don't you remember the 11.11.11 thing? :p
It's just as bad as the 4.4.14 for The Elder Scrolls Online. I hate to see the release date of when Fallout 4 is finished. These dates only happen one every so many years.
he problem with the poll for me is that 'good' can be so general. Was it a good year, perhaps. Was it a GREAT year? Well, I think the answer to that is obvious!!
I can't change the poll name or options. I only have mod access to to the News Section. You can if you want.;)

If Corwin thinks this was a good year for RPGs - I'd hate to see a bad one :)

It wasn't that bad. But wasn't great either. Picking off the list that were posted earlier in this thread I'll point out a few worth checking out if you haven't already.

Path of Exile: A Diablo II style ARPG. This one is totally free, you don't even have to buy it. Just make an account and start playing. Best of all you have access to the enitre game..you are in no way limited to any restrictions. They have microtransactions in the way of increased stash limits and cosmetics that have no effect on gameplay what-so-ever. You can play either softcore (normal gameplay experience) or hardcore/nemesis where your character only has one life before it's transferred to the softcore server if it dies - so you actually don't lose the character. The skill tree is massive and opens up for several possibilities, putting logical choices aside you can do pretty much what you want with the skill tree. Recommended.

Haven't played this yet..but c'mon it's Larian, need I say more?

Rogue Legacy
A little indie gem. This game is great! If you ever loved the rogue genre you just cannot miss out on this game. Basically every time you die (and you will, a lot) you start a new character as the child. You get to choose between 3 new character (with a reset possible later in the game for 3 new ones if you don't like them) who have random affixes such as dwarfism, giant, upside-down, dyslexia and tons of others that make the game a little different each time and in many ways funny.

Got this from a recent steam sale, but I'm yet to play it. Heard a lot of good things about it though.

Bioshock Infinite
One of the early ones this year. A great game, if maybe more a mix of shooter and rpg. It's not as dark as the previous Bioshock games but it has a rather interesting theme to it. It's quite emotional and play tons of mind tricks on you.

I feel like I've forgotten something, but then again that is nothing new.

Well, if your definition is THAT wide - I guess it might be slightly better. Still think it's a very weak year overall.

Here are some of of them. It's all subjective as some blur the genres a bit.

The Banner Saga: Faction
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
Akaneiro: Demon Hunters
Van Helsing I: Complete Pack
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
The Dark Eye: Demonicon
FORCED
Path of Exile
Space Rangers HD: A War Apart
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Shadowrun Returns
Ittle Dew
Legends of Dawn
Rogue Legacy
Neverwinter
Knights of Pen & Paper (+1 Edition)
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode Four
Mars: War Logs
Star Wars: The Old Republic - Rise of the Hutt Cartel
Mass Effect 3: Citadel
The Shadow Sun
Blood Knights PC
XCOM: Enemy Within
Paper Sorcerer PC
Avadon 2: The Corruption
Drox Operative: Invasion of the Ancients
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut
Eldritch
Legends of Aethereus
FTL
Aarklash: Legacy
Space Hulk
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Eador: Master of the Broken World
Sacred: Citadel PC
Bioshock Infinite
Driftmoon

Is bioshock infinite somehow different from previous bioshocks? If bioshock is rpg then I would vote Last of Us as the rpg of year.

But they have only light rpg elements. If I look at games that have strong rpg elements then I think Shadowrun Returns is the one that felt most intense. Only problem was lack of decent save game -feature. Luckily they are currently adding it.

Even better I think deus ex directors cut for wii u is easily the best rpg and best game on wii u. Gamepad adds extra gameplay features that enhances immersion and remote functionality that is very useful for people that dont live alone.

1. Deus Ex dc wii u
2. Last of Us ps3
3. Shadowrun Returns pc

Without the first two it would have been a bad year.

Is bioshock infinite somehow different from previous bioshocks? If bioshock is rpg then I would vote Last of Us as the rpg of year.

It has fewer RPG elements than Bioshock does.

The setting is very different - and the levels are larger and more open, but otherwise it's pretty much the same type of game.

I wouldn't personally consider it an RPG - but as we all know, that is extremely subjective.

Yeah, I never got why Bioshock was considered an RPG. You might as well call the Batman games RPGs, or Duck Tales, since Scrooge can upgrade his health. :p

Back
Top Bottom