Starpoint Gemini 2 - Origins is done

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Watcher Zloth spotted a big free update for Starpoint Gemini 2 on Steam:
Starpoint Gemini 2: Origins is done. We're just finalizing things with Iceberg Interactive so it should be out in a day or two, according to plan.

And you should have between 60 - 100 hours of gameplay to finish this one. :)

You will start at lvl 1, as a new captain (it's a story before SPG 2). You will also be able to get the best ship in the game upon completing the storyline. New ship, of course. :)
More information.

These devs really care for their game - lots of updates since release.

It finally got released! Store page And its free :)

I liked the original campaign more so I can't wait to try it out in the new engine.

Anyone know what those "RPG elements" are exactly?

Are we looking at Whale's Voyage, or Faster Than Light here?

wow love these guys. Finally a chance to play starpoint 1 remade without the crashes. Also the fact they have not had to make a single refund to anyone is quite a achievement. Keep up the good work guys. I have really enjoyed the way you used early access to make a really good game.

Is it any good? I bought and tried SG1 but quit and doesn't go back after an hour or two. I wanted to like it but simply didn't find it fun. Is SG2 better? And if it is, should I play origins first and then the main Campaign?

Games like this always look interesting to me but I end up finding space a boring play to be. Probably a personal taste thing. I added it to my ridiculously long wish list to look into it further or watch for a sale (also way backlogged and must somehow stop buying games when I have a dozen sitting and waiting to be played).

Is it any good? I bought and tried SG1 but quit and doesn't go back after an hour or two. I wanted to like it but simply didn't find it fun. Is SG2 better? And if it is, should I play origins first and then the main Campaign?

All in all starpoint 1 and 2 are very different games. 2 Has better graphics, better controls, no stupid long winded tutorials. You control your marines and fighters. Its really not like elite. It feels more like flying battle ships as opposed to fighters.
The most interesting thing for me is the devs are not finished. We have been talking about bases and factories and what should come next in the game.
Should you play origins first? I cant say yet. I am just about to start. It is a remake of the first game just without the crap that dragged it down. Iam a big fan of elite but I tend to play this more but that's only my view. If your not sure just wait for a sale.

Anyone know what those "RPG elements" are exactly?

Are we looking at Whale's Voyage, or Faster Than Light here?

You are a captain that progresses through freeroam or campaign mode getting ever bigger/stronger ships. Much like in Freelancer.

The only RPG mechanics I've seen:

-you can chose one of the 3 captain classes at the beginning of the game
-you gain levels from experience (by doing missions, defeating enemies etc..)
-you gain skill points and perk points, which you can invest in passive bonuses.
-you can purchase and enhance your ship's gear the same way you'd do in other RPGs

It was released today I just have to find time to play it now.
Starpoint Gemini 2: Origins, New Free DLC Released on Steam today

Haarlem, The Netherlands – June 11th 2015 Iceberg Interactive announces today that Space Sim/RPG fans’ favorite Starpoint Gemini 2, from developer Little Green Men Games, will receive a huge content boost today, with the release of free DLC, named ‘Origins’. Having spent a year in Steam’s Early Access program, Starpoint Gemini 2 officially launched last September, with much acclaim from both press and consumers. In the spirit of their much lauded commitment to their community, Little Green Men Games did not want to deprive anyone of the original backstory from predecessor Starpoint Gemini, and with it the roots of the galactic conflict. Since releasing the first DLC ‘Secrets of Aethera’, the team has been working hard on integrating that story into the Starpoint Gemini 2 engine, a challenging task, that has now been completed - and as promised, the DLC will be available free to anyone owning the game.

Starpoint Gemini 2: Origins will feature 30 new storyline missions from the original Starpoint Gemini. The new missions have been tailor-made to fit Starpoint Gemini 2, and will surely bring a smile to the faces of many Starpoint Gemini 2 owners.

Starpoint Gemini 2 is available on Steam here: store.steampowered.com/app/236150. Both Origins and the previous DLC Secrets of Aethera can be found there as well.

Developer Little Green Men Games and publisher Iceberg Interactive will soon have very exciting news to share with all Starpoint Gemini fans. If you don’t want to miss out on any Starpoint Gemini news, make sure to ‘Like’ the official Facebook page www.facebook.com/StarpointGemini2
http://www.facebook.com/StarpointGemini2

These guys have been doing a great job supporting the game.
Even the only paid DLC they released so far has quite a bit of content, for a small price.

I was far from a fan of the first game, but this second entry is very much improved.
With the current Steam sales, more people should check it out.

Yeah, I didn't like the first game much, either. Seems like you could either do WAY-too-easy exploration missions or WAY-too-hard battle missions. I got bored pretty quick.

I played this one at release for about a dozen hours. The story was corny but the game was fun. It was pretty clear they wanted to add a lot more, though, so I put it down and kept it on my favorites list. It's about time to play it right.

I have this as well....in my long list of games to play...it has very nice graphics if you have the rig to run it.

So this can be compared to Wing Commander, Privateer, etc.? It's been so many years and I've never really found another game that can provide the same feeling.

Well, that's nostalgia most likely. And FMV cut-scenes. :D

So this can be compared to Wing Commander, Privateer, etc.? It's been so many years and I've never really found another game that can provide the same feeling.

Not really...sort of....it plays a lot differently....like an open world rpg action strategy game:)

It is more like Star Trek: Starfleet Command but in a open world/space setting and with trading.

Back
Top Bottom