Expeditions: Viking - Preview @ True PC Gaming

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Thomas Faust (True PC Gaming) has written a preview for Logic Artists' upcoming game: Expeditions: Viking

Expeditions: Conquistador, released in 2013, was a fairly unique strategy game that had you traveling the South-American jungle and managing a small group of people, hunting, fighting, and having adventures against a historical backdrop. It felt a bit like the King’s Bounty games with a smaller scope and slightly shifted gameplay priorities, and I feel that it didn’t quite get the attention it deserved. Late next year, Danish developers, Logic Artists, will follow up with another game in the Expeditions series, this one obviously Viking-themed. You start out, having inherited the leadership of a small clan.

In the game’s first campaign, you gather your most trusted allies and work towards consolidating your power in your home region. The second campaign will have you and your merry band of plundering Northmen travel to Britain and begin raiding. All of this will follow a branching, but generally fixed story line. Considering that the narrative design of Expeditions: Conquistador was one of its standout features, I have high hopes for Viking.

It won’t be an easy feat, however. The problem with Viking lore and mythology is that most of the information available to us today was written by their enemies, while most records of Viking origin have been lost due to having been carved into wood or embroidered on fabric. Logic Artists still hope to convey a decent level of historical accuracy, but considering its origin, it cannot be spot on and will possibly be filigreed with a good deal of Nordic mythology from the Viking sagas.

[...]

I really liked Expeditions: Conquistador. It was by no means a perfect game, and a few gameplay flaws like the aforementioned camping spreadsheets and a rather unforgiving difficulty kept it from ever reaching the fame and fortune it deserved.

However, it seems that Logic Artists are well aware of these issues and intend to not make the same mistakes again with Expeditions: Viking. Furthermore, the attention to detail, from trying to incorporate Viking lore as well as possible to little things like the hand-woven look of the map screen, is already pretty impressive. Considering that I saw an early alpha build of the game and it won’t be out until late 2016, I have high hopes that Expeditions: Viking will be a memorable, interesting, and awfully pretty strategy game, so keep an eye out for this one.
Thanks Eye!

More information.

I hate playing overly difficult games these days, but conquistador was not really that difficult. Or maybe i enjoyed it too much to find it difficult. I am really looking forward to vikings.

Conquistador wasn't hard at all.....you just had to manage things, and keep an eye on them. I'm actually hoping that being a vviking (I put two V's in that word because for some reason it gets treated as a noun, when it is most clearly a verb. Going vvking was an action, not a race of people) is more difficult that being a conquistador was. Bring on the Danes!

Conquistador wasn't hard at all…..you just had to manage things, and keep an eye on them. I'm actually hoping that being a vviking (I put two V's in that word because for some reason it gets treated as a noun, when it is most clearly a verb. Going vvking was an action, not a race of people) is more difficult that being a conquistador was. Bring on the Danes!

You might want to revisit your grammar books :D

Revisit? You assume that he visited they in the first place? :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom