Wizardry 1 - Feature Article @ Diehard GameFAN

magerette

Hedgewitch
In their regular feature discussing defunct franchises, 'Sequel, Spin-off, Start Over or Stay Dead,' Diehard GameFAN takes a look at Sir-Tech's RPG classic Wizardry series.

The verdict is mixed, with 2 votes for a sequel, and 2 votes for the series to remain dead. Here's a sample from one of the votes for resurrection of the franchise:
I want a sequel to Wizardry...I want a game that challenges my intelligence and overall knowledge in addition to my skills as a gamer. I want something that...is that balls to the walls hard, manages to be almost completely different from 99% of RPG’s out there and yet has conventional trappings so people can learn to play it. Most of all I want a game that outright shows that today’s level of would-be hard games are nothing, NOTHING compared to the challenge of titles that were put out in the 80’s, especially by Sir-Tech. I know I won’t get it, but it’s what I want. Even though expecting a product like this to hit the market these days is akin to total insanity, I still want another Wizardry game. Sure The Dark Spire is wonderful, but I want the continuity, characters, classes, and style of the real thing...I want that combined feeling of awe, frustration, determination and love that I had for RPG’s when I was a small boy – something I haven’t had in a long time. More importantly, I want this new generation of gamers to experience it. Not just for the challenge or the style, but to see the roots of this genre and give it the respect it is due.
More information.

More importantly, I want this new generation of gamers to experience it. Not just for the challenge or the style, but to see the roots of this genre and give it the respect it is due.
I agree it would be gratifying to see a new generation immersed in what computer games once promised to be. But even if Wizardry or something like it was recreated in exactly the way he wishes, I doubt the general reaction from under-25's would be anything like what he hopes for.

It scared me off just reading about it. :) I'd love to see the series revived (even though I've only played Wiz8) not for some uber-challenge of my ability to take a beating, but because of the depth and creativity in the party and character systems, the sense of humor, and the influence of choices made on the story.

It scared me off just reading about it. :) I'd love to see the series revived (even though I've only played Wiz8) not for some uber-challenge of my ability to take a beating, but because of the depth and creativity in the party and character systems, the sense of humor, and the influence of choices made on the story.

My thoughts as well Mags. I want a sequel to Wiz8, not Wizardry. :)

The strength on those RPGs of old was in the character/party creation/development. That's what I loved about them. Nowadays, it all took a backseat to story. RPGs of today are basically movies in which you stop and fight between scenes.
I want to go back to games in which the skills and spells list was in the several dozens, and not the 8 or so you get in today's RPGs. In which you would select between 10 races and 12 classes, and not the 3 races and 3 classes you get today, and your party was made of 6-8 characters, and not the 1-4 you get today.

I've only played 7&8 but they were both great. 7 I couldn't beat, I couldn't figure out what to do after a certain point and 8 I love to start but still have never finished. Probably the best party creation systems ever.

Both games were a ton of fun to create a party and explore the first dungeon, the first town and the next dungeon, after that they both kind of get lost. Between the constant combat to just travel and the later parts of both games becoming less exploring and character development and more grinding I get too bored or frustrated to bother figuring out the last couple of puzzles to actually beat either game.

Still, I would buy a faithful Wizardry 9 in a heart beat.

The closest thing to Wizardry nowadays is the game Armoured Princess.

turn based combat
free exploring
challenging battles
create a good party/equipment mix

I would have voted for Knights of the Chalice as being the closest game to Wizardry. If we could add more party members, it'd be VERY close in many ways. Too bad Wizardry 3+ have better graphics :)

A KotC sequel is in the works and promises revamped graphics, I think he said in the Ultima 7 vein. Stay tuned!

My thoughts as well Mags. I want a sequel to Wiz8, not Wizardry. :)

I agree - played some of the early ones a couple of years ago when I grabbed the 'Ultimate Wizardry Archives'. Would love a Wiz 8 follow up but the older ones are just history at this point.

Would love a Wiz 8 follow up but the older ones are just history at this point.

Maybe history for you ;) I just played wiz 6 and 7 again last year. Wizardry 6 is one the best dungeon crawls ever made, I would love that to be remade without changing any of the core mechanics or level design.

I was thinking more 1 - 3. I loved my experiences with 4 on up.

Haven´t played W1-5 (besides the obligatory Wizardry 4 iron man run :)), however 6-8 are gems, especially Wiz7 which is just chock-full of everything.
Huge open ended world, complex character development, big variety of monsters, traveling competitors and just about all kinds of puzzles make Wizardry 7 a mix that just doesn´t have a modern equivalent.
I still wonder why the concept of traveling parties with similar goals as player´s hasn´t been used since (AFAIK).

Back
Top Bottom