Risen The end of chapter 4 - question + definite spoiler

O

Omega

Okay, in chapter 4 I had more and more trouble to motivate myself to go on. The last mile was definitely the longest one. But pride drove me forward: got to finish what I started. So I collected all the stuff needed to fight the Titan.

I've played the entire game with a sword, a shield, a crossbow and (since ch 2?) a helmet. After some small talk with Mendoza I thought it wise to put on the ocular instead of that lovely helmet. Don't like it, but hey, I won't need to check my looks in a mirror I guess. Kay. I place the skull. I enter the room. And all of a sudden… where's my sword? I'm wearing an axe! And where's that stupid ocular? I'm wearing that helmet! Why?? Severe disappointment. Swallow.
Kay. I jump. I use my shield. Titan sits still like a good doggie. Kay. I walk towards Titan. I use that frigging axe. One time. Several times. WTF…? Where's that red bar that indicates the health of Titanic boy? I strike, I strike again, I strike around. And I'm dead. F9. Load. Try again. Titan, still. Strike again. Die again. And so forth.

I gave up. After five times or so I had swallowed my pride as well; meaning no drive left. Too boring. I'm not exactly in the mood right now to kill Titan, as far as I'm concerned he may live long and prosper, but the one thing I'd really like to know: how's one supposed to know Titan has taken some damage? Is Titan lacking a bar or did I miss something obvious?

Last edited:
No, your experience was the same as mine. I bumped it down to Easy and checked a Youtube demo.

No, your experience was the same as mine. I bumped it down to Easy and checked a Youtube demo.

No red bar there. Thanks for mentioning YouTube, Alistair. I'm glad I was able to see how it ends. Won't end it myself.

Well, it looks like I'll finally get the time to do other things, important things. Yes, I'll leave my PC, I'll get up from my desk and… Hey, what's that on my desk? Gothic Universe? Mmm, G1… or G2 + NOTR…, which one shall I…? :)

You need to hit him about five times, but you can only actually affect him after stunning him by reflecting one of his fireballs back to him (use the shield). It's really simple:
- Dodge all of his stuff. Jump around like a madman.
- When he shoots fireballs (not the lazer thing, but the small ones), hold up your shield and reflect them.
- Hit him once while he is stunned.

Rince and repeat five times.

Both. All of them.

I'll start with G1 I think, although I'm very tempted to play G2 + NotR. I have played G2 without the expansion several times (I consider it the best game thus far) but several people here strongly advised me to try G2 with NotR. Their enthusiasm made me curious to say the least. So I ordered Gothic Universe, since I was unfamiliar with G1 as well. I've played G3 - once - IMHO, G3 was a disappointment.
So although G2 seems to be shouting 'Play me, play me now!', I'll ignore it and start with G1. Soon. Maybe a little break will do me some good. You know, meet some people, see the sun shine, hear the birds chirp... ;)

Hit him once while he is stunned.

Once? Okay, my mistake.
I've read some of the comments on YouTube and one said that the game ends as soon as the fight's done, with Titan disappearing and our hero walking away. So no adieus, no tears, no cheering crowd. No check on my final stats.

Thanks for your reply Maylander. While playing Risen I considered you to be a warm, trustworthy manual :) so it's nice to see that during this last 'struggle' you're here too. I've put away the DVD, as far as I'm concerned you may rest now. ;)

I dont get this, the game tells you what to do in big messages across the screen, how can you not know what to do? The battle itself sucked, but saying yuou could not figure it out? The game hold your hand and tells you what to do, how can you have trouble with that?

I dont get this, the game tells you what to do in big messages across the screen, how can you not know what to do? The battle itself sucked, but saying yuou could not figure it out? The game hold your hand and tells you what to do, how can you have trouble with that?

I beg your pardon…

Two things.

First.
(…) Kay. I jump. I use my shield. Titan sits still like a good doggie. Kay. I walk towards Titan. I use that frigging axe. One time. Several times. (…)

What did you mean I did not figure it out?

Second.
(…) but the one thing I'd really like to know: how's one supposed to know Titan has taken some damage? Is Titan lacking a bar or did I miss something obvious?

What did you mean I had trouble with the patently obvious?
I'm sorry for disturbing you by only wanting to know where Titan's red bar was…

I'll start with G1 I think, although I'm very tempted to play G2 + NotR. I have played G2 without the expansion several times (I consider it the best game thus far) but several people here strongly advised me to try G2 with NotR. Their enthusiasm made me curious to say the least. So I ordered Gothic Universe, since I was unfamiliar with G1 as well. I've played G3 - once - IMHO, G3 was a disappointment.
So although G2 seems to be shouting 'Play me, play me now!', I'll ignore it and start with G1. Soon. Maybe a little break will do me some good. You know, meet some people, see the sun shine, hear the birds chirp… ;)

Gothic 2 starts pretty much the same with or without NotR, but once you get to Khorinis things will pick up. And you won't play it without NotR ever again. :biggrin:

Did you play G3 with the Community Patch? If you didn't like it because of the bugs, then you should try again with the 1.73 patch. Some people just didn't like the whole game, bugs or no bugs. That can't be helped, as it's purely subjective. :) I liked them all.

What sunshine? Birds?

Anytime Omega!

As for the recommendation - I'd recommend both G1 and 2 (NotR) as well. I'd go for G1 to understand the overall story. It's definetly worth a shot, though it takes a while to get used to the controls (the controls work very well once you get the hang of it though).

What sunshine? Birds?

I assume he's talking about the computer generated birds in Gothic and Risen, and the excellent lighting effects the sun tends to create. I can't imagine what else he could be talking about..

I assume he's talking about the computer generated birds in Gothic and Risen, and the excellent lighting effects the sun tends to create. I can't imagine what else he could be talking about..

That explains it. All that nonsense was scaring me. By the way, i hope it's not a "he" wearing heels...

Did you play G3 with the Community Patch? If you didn't like it because of the bugs, then you should try again with the 1.73 patch. Some people just didn't like the whole game, bugs or no bugs.

Yes, I patched it. Don't know whether it was the 1.73 patch though. But I can't blame the bugs, they didn't bother me. No, it was the game itself which apparently wasn't snappy enough for me...

What sunshine? Birds?

The sun always shines, the birds always chirp where ever I come. ;)

When you play G1, and you definite should, also add a few things to the install. Thielhater's and Freddy's texture patches are both quite good and can be applied together. The In Extremo patch if you want to see the ingame concert....I don't bother. The FPS patch is needed on some machines but I've never needed it.

Just promise to give the controls a few hours. Trust me, you will be confused and hate them. Learn the controls and I promise they are VERY good once you understand them. I basically throw my mouse away when playing and can do things that would shock you lol.

After you have played a little, and prolly gotten totally frustrated....go to youtube or somewhere and watch TheWonderer playing Gothic to boost your spirits. Especially the bug run videos. In the bug run he beats Gothic from start to finish in about 45ish minutes....total! I can now do most of the things, but the timing on some of them is insane.

If you give the controls time you will see they are almost perfection. I wish they were still available in all the PB games, but alas, they had to change them so clickety click lamers could play. *sighs* Once you have the timing of swings figured out, you are well on your way to playing one hell of a game. God I envy you...getting to feel that feeling of my first time playing Gothic.

Thanks for mentioning all those patches that are possible, Uriziel. I googled for the Thielhater's and Freddy's texture patches and found Gorath's thread

In a different thread not so long ago Gorath was so kind to mention the Walkthrough by JemyM, I'll use that as well.

O, and I've searched YouTube for "thewonderer gothic", I'll watch that too.
In fact I've put all these things that are mentioned - patches, videos, walkthrough - in a TXT file.

BTW I've been playing G2 (without NotR) without a mouse IIRC. So I don't think I'll have severe problems with game control.

Thanks guys, you're all very kind. Much Appreciated.

God I envy you…getting to feel that feeling of my first time playing Gothic.

Hahaha. Sounds like the feeling of your first orgasm? ;)

That's a relief, i'm scared of both birds

Then I won't recommend The Birds directed by Alfred Hitchcock... ;)

Thanks for mentioning all those patches that are possible, Uriziel. I googled for the Thielhater's and Freddy's texture patches and found Gorath's thread

In a different thread not so long ago Gorath was so kind to mention the Walkthrough by JemyM, I'll use that as well.

O, and I've searched YouTube for "thewonderer gothic", I'll watch that too.
In fact I've put all these things that are mentioned - patches, videos, walkthrough - in a TXT file.

BTW I've been playing G2 (without NotR) without a mouse IIRC. So I don't think I'll have severe problems with game control.

Thanks guys, you're all very kind. Much Appreciated.

Hahaha. Sounds like the feeling of your first orgasm? ;)

Then I won't recommend The Birds directed by Alfred Hitchcock… ;)

All this got me thinking and I made some fresh Gothic goo :blush:

Back
Top Bottom