Legend of Grimrock - Now Available

Dhruin

SasqWatch
No doubt you are all playing Legend of Grimrock as I type but here's the official announcement that this highly-anticipated title is now available:

Legend of Grimrock Released Today
Indie developer Almost Human's old-school dungeon crawler Legend of Grimrock for PC is released today on Steam, GOG.com and the developer's website grimrock.net for $14.99 with a first week sale cutting 10% off the retail price.

ESPOO, FINLAND - APRIL 11, 2012. Almost Human, the indie developer "more human than most", is proud to announce that their monster infested, mind bending, trap filled and lovingly crafted dungeon opens its doors for brave explorers today when Legend of Grimrock is released. The critically aclaimed first-person dungeon exploration game is Almost Human's debut title. Here is what the reviewers had to say about the game:

"It’s bloody brilliant."
- Rock Paper Shotgun

"Legend of Grimrock is Everything I Wanted in a Modern-Day Dungeon Crawler."
- Kotaku

"The balance between exciting combat, thought-provoking puzzle work, and open-ended exploration is stellar."
- IGN

"Grimrock has some of the best puzzles in a video game we have encountered, ever."
- Video Review by Elder Geek

"Captures everything that's fun about old-school RPGs."
- GameSpy
I'll throw a couple of addition LoG items here:
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a game diary titled A Dad in A Dungeon:
You must consider that I had left the Land of Skyrim to enter this dungeon. After gliding around stupendously breathtaking landscapes, here I was moving one square, surrounded by bricks! “Ah!” I thought, “this is like Dungeon Master.” But do I really want Dungeon Master having experienced Skyrim?
So, we found some clothes, and some rocks for my Roguish Popsy to chuck. I bumbled about a bit, opened a few doors, met a snail… and died.
...and GameBanshee announces they have their LoG subsite ready with a walkthrough, alchemy recipes, hard-to-find secrets and so on.

More information.

LOL empty thread because everyone is playing. Me included.

Congratulations to Steam for releasing 2 indie RPGs on the same day. Brilliant move guys.

"Wow". This is truly brilliant.

I've been playing the entire evening. Fun, exciting. A must have for anyone enjoying rpgs. A far-cry from monotonous skyrim/oblivion almost random dungeons. A strong contender for the title of Rpg of the year.

Sigh i might play this game on easy instead of normal because i hate the "kiting" combat gameplay. Then again i am one of those wierdos that perfers Wizardry over Eye of the Beholder.

The puzzles are nuts, there are some optional ones that I've had to leave until future play throughs to preserve my sanity. The combat is it's weakest point, but it was always going to be. Everything else is stellar, I'm very impressed.

The combat is it's weakest point, but it was always going to be.
I think that might be an opinion, as opposed to an empirical fact.

I'm loving every second of the game. If they do another, or an add-on for this one, they can count me in as a buyer yet again, this is the kinda game I like!! Got Avernum too now for the pc but it's gonna have to wait till I'm done with LoG.

-Carn

I'm pleasantly surprised.

I was expecting a somewhat classic game but dull after a couple of hours since everything is underground and "should be" repetitive, but in fact i just played for 6 hours and had to stop to go to sleep and i can't wait to go back from work and get on it again...

Not many games do that to me, i generaly get bored really soon.

It realy shows in some parts it's an indie game, for example in the introduction and in the (lack of) diversity of texture models, but the game is in fact surprisingly solid from a gameplay POV.

In sum, the game is classic, uncomplicated in its implementation but rich in its gameplay. I would LOVE to see this game implemented in an outdoor setting like Lands of Lore the throne of chaos (episode 1).

Best dollars i've spent on a game in the late years. It was cheap, its entertaining and still it gives me back very very very very very fond memories from my adolescence playing lands of lore and eye of the beholder for days and days.

Highly-must-have-recomended for older RPG fans, recomended for everyone else that likes RPGs in general.

Single Player I assume

Is the party invisible with a FP view then? Is it like Wizardry 1-7 or 8? In 8 you can be surrounded of course.

Can you remap the keyboard? It doesn't look like they allow you to remap the mouse.

I'm actually surprised that I'm enjoying this game. Coming right after Skyrim it is simplistic but yet covers enough to make it exciting.

Sigh i might play this game on easy instead of normal because i hate the "kiting" combat gameplay. Then again i am one of those wierdos that perfers Wizardry over Eye of the Beholder.

Yep, its my only issue with the game.

Kiting combat is bit ridiculous. I would rather prefer just standard stand and fight.
I didnt bargain for action RPG

Yep, its my only issue with the game.

Kiting combat is bit ridiculous. I would rather prefer just standard stand and fight.
I didnt bargain for action RPG

I like the combat. just standing there clicking away would be mind numbingly boring very soon.

P.S: I never understood what is people's problem with hit and run tactics in games...
That said it is very easy to exploit movement in Grimrock... But combat like this is a staple of this subgenre so people should enter with the appropriate expectations ;)

Just downloaded from Steam and hope to start playing this weekend. Looks fun!

Single Player I assume

Is the party invisible with a FP view then? Is it like Wizardry 1-7 or 8? In 8 you can be surrounded of course.

Can you remap the keyboard? It doesn't look like they allow you to remap the mouse.

It is SP, much like EoB and you can remap the keyboard which I did very quickly. It has A&D as the strafe keys with Q&E for turning, so I swapped them.

I'm in. Paid full price but so what. Unfortunatley, no time to play till probably late tomorrow. I did load up to the start screen and everything looked great.

Back
Top Bottom