Arx Fatalis - Review @ Gamersinfo.net

Not sure why anyone would want to compare Arx to classic party based dungeon crawlers, it's a completely different type of game.

Are you saying you consider Arx COMPLETELY different to Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder?

Apart from being single-character and using 3D technology, I'd say the gameplay will appeal to exactly the same tastes - or at least one would expect it to.

I certainly consider Ultima Underworld an evolution of Dungeon Master. They certainly appeal to me for almost identical reasons.

But I practically wet myself doing the crypt missions and I loved the detail of the functional goblin society, making bread and the like. Plus, some cool quests. Is it Dungeon Hero that is supposed to have a "real" goblin dungeon culture? They should look at Arx as a starting point.

The problem, at least for me, was that the goblins were the only culture with any details. The snake women, the trolls, the dragons, even the human societies were all totally shallow. The ratmen were the worst, with everyone just standing in different, empty rooms, doing nothing at all.

That killed it for me.

Are you saying you consider Arx COMPLETELY different to Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder?.

It's "very different" - how bout that? They share dungeon crawling and camera view, although those games (excluding UU) were really only 2.5D. Other than that, Arx Fatalis felt nothing like EotB, LoL, or Anvil.

As far as appealing to "exactly" the same taste, that depends on the individual gamer. I never cared for EotB or the LoL series, but I loved every second of AF.

It's "very different" - how bout that? They share dungeon crawling and camera view, although those games (excluding UU) were really only 2.5D. Other than that, Arx Fatalis felt nothing like EotB, LoL, or Anvil.

As far as appealing to "exactly" the same taste, that depends on the individual opinion. I never cared for EotB or the LoL series, but I loved every second of AF.

I can't really argue with your tastes - and I said "one would expect it to", because they share so many elements.

Dungeon crawling in itself would seem to be a pretty significant shared factor in, you know, dungeon crawlers.

I didn't care for Arx, really, but that doesn't mean it isn't very similar in style to UU and those that went before - like Dungeon Master.

I hated Dungeon Siege - for instance - but loved Diablo and Diablo 2. I'd still say they're VERY similar - though Dungeon Siege is party-based and 3D.

But, we just disagree, obviously - no harm.

But I practically wet myself doing the crypt missions and I loved the detail of the functional goblin society, making bread and the like. Plus, some cool quests. Is it Dungeon Hero that is supposed to have a "real" goblin dungeon culture? They should look at Arx as a starting point.

Apparently the game is delayed (no releasedate). Also from the official forums:
Unfortunately am not really going to be able to answer all your questions as much as you'd like. Dungeon Hero is a Hack'n'Slash dungeon crawler with light rpg elements. You will gain skill points from killing enemies which can be used to upgrade the Hero's moves.
Propably better just forget this game alltogether. I dont think "Hack'n'Slash dungeon crawler with light rpg elements" will make a good uw style game. Sounds like they are aiming more towards somthing like that latest might and magic game.

I didn't care for Arx, really, but that doesn't mean it isn't very similar in style to UU and those that went before - like Dungeon Master..

Oh I agree *completely* about the UU comparison, even though I've only played a little of UU 1. Even if the devs hadn't mentioned UU 100 times during interviews, the influence would still have been very obvious.

I would love to see a remake of UU, although I know it will never happen. Not a "reimagining", but the exact same game ported to a modern graphics engine.

Oh I agree *completely* about the UU comparison, even though I've only played a little of UU 1. Even if the devs hadn't mentioned UU 100 times during interviews, the influence would still have been very obvious.

I would love to see a remake of UU, although I know it will never happen. Not a "reimagining" but the exact same game ported to a modern graphics engine.

I'm with you on that one :)

While they're at it - let's throw in a modern engine System Shock as well :)

w00t to the SysShock remake :)

I came to Arx from the other side, just re-engaging with RPG's and not having played UU or any of the others, and really enjoyed it. It still is a game I love even after learning more of the 'backstory'.

Back
Top Bottom