Skyrim - 1.4 Released, Creation Kit Video and More

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Bethblog has news that Skyrim 1.4 has been officially released on Steam and will be sent out for consoles soon:
Today we’ve taken Skyrim’s 1.4 update out of beta and made it available for everyone on Steam. In addition to bug and quest fixes, 1.4 adds launcher support for the Skyrim Workshop. Currently we’re putting the final touches on the Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop and will let everyone know as soon as they’re up.
As an update to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 users, we’re submitting 1.4 to the console manufacturers this week. When these updates are available, we’ll let everyone know.
The big news is the first video of the Creation Kit and Steam Workshop. Hit the link to go to the Bethblog to watch the video and here's a snip from the accompanying blurb:
The Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop (mods.elderscrolls.com) are nearly here! To get PC players ready for its release, watch our preview video and check out a new diary from Production Director Ashley Cheng.
Here’s Ash…
With each game we release — Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and now Skyrim — modders continue to use our worlds as a canvas to build the most incredibly creative and fun mods in gaming. The fact that Morrowind’s modding community is still going strong 10 years after its release is a testament to how essential our community is to the success of our games.
We’re big believers that if we go the extra mile and make our games as moddable as possible, the game will only be better for it. So the gameplay of “do whatever you want” extends to “make the game do whatever you want.” As we were building Skyrim and its tools, we made it a goal to try and keep the transition from our previous titles to Skyrim as smooth as possible for modders. More importantly, we want to make it easier for more people to enjoy mods. So we teamed up with Valve and created the Skyrim Workshop. We couldn’t be more pleased with how it’s turning out. Mods are a big part of what makes our games special, so we urge everyone to try it out. We’re going to keep looking for ways to get mods to more people, and hopefully one day to our console audience.
With Skyrim Workshop, you can browse and search for the latest or highest rated mods, subscribe to any that interest you, rate your favorites and post feedback. Once you’ve subscribed to some mods, start the Skyrim launcher and you’ll see your subscribed mods automatically download. The launcher will even check if a mod has been updated and grab the latest version.
If you want to try making mods (and we think everybody should), the Creation Kit will be a free download via Steam under Tools. The Creation Kit has lots of new features, including the ability to build archives. Plus you’ll want to check out the Creation Kit Wiki, our online documentation and help file, for more details.
Of course, you’ll still be able to use popular fan-hosted mod sites like Skyrim Nexus to find great mods to play. We did not change any functionality to exclude the way mods worked previously. We even added a few features to help out — for instance, custom INI files can now be packaged into mods so you don’t need to backup your INI files anymore.
In other random Skyrim tidbits, Jeff Vogel has Many Thoughts on Skyrim, CVG wonders if the DLC will ever top Shivering Isles and Forbes says RPGs face stiff competition in the age of Skyrim.
More information.

man, I was thinking about this GECK
I have absolutely no drive to start working on this
I figured my dream job is CEO, just giving feedback ideas, overseeing. Kinda sad conclusion. Hope there's no1 else like me :)

For some reason, I purposely tried to avoid killing as many as possible in the embassy, but ended up having to kill some to save the prisoners, who promptly ran off, and one of which got herself killed by a bear. Not worthy of a reload, unfortunately.

Yeah, I think that happened to me as well. I just wrote her off as bear-bait, and carried on. I thought any moment 101 soldiers were going to decend on me, which never happened =xxx.

-Carn

If you return to the embassy (much later) the ones in front leave you alone, unless the guards inside the compound see you near the walls of the compound. Then all of them attack. Wasn't 101 but maybe 10. Fairly deadly.

Ooh, that sounds like fun! I'm a destruction mage and at level 40, I have to be pretty careful with my fights. Unlike all other combat skills, destruction magic doesn't level as the character does. Still, I can cast a secret spell that summons a ghost that casts lightning spells, have a companion, my horse, and use the voice to summon an animal ally(s), so combat can be pretty entertaining.

That will be fun for my next PC, if I can ever finish my first thief/assassin playthough of the MQ and DB (Thieves and Bard guild done). He also gets toasted against large groups without followers and illusion spell distractions. :)

Creation Kit to be released on Feb. 7th to thwart KoA ;)

An expansion like Shivering would sure be nice...

Played about 4 hours with new patch and had 3 CTD's. I've got mods installed though and they may not all be super-compatible with the game. From how the game is crashing, I think it might be sound related though. I wonder if they broke the sound fix that came out in 1.3...I should try setting my sound back to 44 mhz perhaps.

Played about 4 hours with new patch and had 3 CTD's. I've got mods installed though and they may not all be super-compatible with the game. From how the game is crashing, I think it might be sound related though. I wonder if they broke the sound fix that came out in 1.3…I should try setting my sound back to 44 mhz perhaps.

I had similar problems and they went away entirely when I disabled a few mods (seems some of the crafting ones were to blame in my case) and the instability problems were gone. It looks like if I want to keep using those mods I'll just have to accept a CTD every other hour or so; with the improved performance its still a better experience I think at least.

Oh - you aren't using any of the performance enhancing mods are you? Those are mostly unnecessary now and almost completely incompatible with the patched version (since it included compiler setting changes and code changes - some directly related to things those mods addressed.)

@Tragos

Huh? Did you post to the wrong thread?

An expansion like Shivering would sure be nice…

That i would but but unfortunately dlc is the in thing now. Sell it chunks not whole is the business of today.

That i would but but unfortunately dlc is the in thing now. Sell it chunks not whole is the business of today.

To be fair though, Bethesda's track record is to do both an expansion and a handful of DLCs. We'll see how it goes this time around. I'm hoping for a full blown expansion in the same vein as SI.

I had similar problems and they went away entirely when I disabled a few mods (seems some of the crafting ones were to blame in my case) and the instability problems were gone. It looks like if I want to keep using those mods I'll just have to accept a CTD every other hour or so; with the improved performance its still a better experience I think at least.

Oh - you aren't using any of the performance enhancing mods are you? Those are mostly unnecessary now and almost completely incompatible with the patched version (since it included compiler setting changes and code changes - some directly related to things those mods addressed.)

I didn't go through and do any testing yet. I disabled Script Dragon and all of the asi related stuff, and that's all I did. Script Dragon might be updated by now and I like the revised horses mod, so that'll be a great thing.

Back
Top Bottom