|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CivCraft - Kickstarter Now Live

Default CivCraft - Kickstarter Now Live

May 26th, 2014, 02:40
Larkon Studio's new game CivCraft: Legends of Ellaria has just gone live on kickstarter asking for $150,000. Here is the usual video and game information.

'

Have you played a really good FPS game, but felt you are limited in its possibilities to act? Have you played a really good RTS game, but noticed your view is too far from the real action? Have you ever wanted to combine these genres but in a simple and controllable way?

And maybe not just combine, but to switch between them at will, and take your experience to a different level, taking command of individuals or entire armies?

Well, now imagine you can, in an RPG game platform where you control every aspect of your world, follow the main story or create your own, embark special quests, craft items, level up your characters, interact with anyone and anything in Ellaria’s endless realm.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 26th, 2014, 02:40
Hmmm, looks fairly interesting. Mount & Blade only with proper RTS support instead of just shouting out orders.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

May 26th, 2014, 03:17
Backed it

gandalf.nho

Huntress

May 26th, 2014, 06:09
Backed it up too

GroNolife

SasqWatch

May 26th, 2014, 07:40
Well, I've now broken my little Kickstarter drought by backing this and Deadrock Divide.

Also cancelled my ESO subscription in the process.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

May 26th, 2014, 11:08
Ugh it's been built for loads of different platforms including tablet and consoles, I guess this means the interface will be dumbed down.

Undecided, will wait and see.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

May 26th, 2014, 12:17
Hm, undecided too… It looks interesting… but sounds too ambitious, maybe?
Seems like a little bit of everything (RTS, FPS, RPG, …) and that might prove hard to do right.

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

May 26th, 2014, 15:09
I agree it sounds way too ambitious. Sort of reminicent in my opinion of Spellforce or Knight Shift, whichI bought on sale, granted they were more Diablo/rts and not Elder Scrolls/rts games but neither excelled at either the rpg or rts parts. Neither were bad games per say, but for me genre mixing is not enough to make a good game and I fear another decent/decent game which can't hold my attention long. I hope, however, I they can prove me wrong and wish them luck for their kickstarter.

forgottenlor

SasqWatch

May 26th, 2014, 17:07
Originally Posted by wiretripped View Post
It looks interesting… but sounds too ambitious, maybe?
Only 6 months of development planned, not just one platform, and on top of it: DLC.
Sorry, initially I was very interested into this, but now when cards are on the table I simply don't believe in it.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

May 26th, 2014, 18:01
To me it also looks overambitious though what they showed in the video all looks quite professional.

However I don't see a clear structure in this game. I mean - when you are king and can run around with an army. Why should you ever run around with a single character?

And while "there is something for everyone" might be right, the problem is, that if I really hate one out of 3 elements, I might not like to play the whole game and then it doesn't matter if I like the other two parts.

But what I wished most from the presentation is a concrete example on how the systems work together. Like how to imagine the first 3 hours of gameplay or so.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

May 26th, 2014, 18:25
I don't really like RTS that much, but this simply sounds too intriguing. I think it's too ambitious, and I doubt it will succeed. But they get an A for effort, so I've pledged and hope they prove my doubts wrong.
Last edited by tomasp3n; May 29th, 2014 at 18:14.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

May 26th, 2014, 18:54
Have I ever wanted to combine a strategy game with a shooter? No, never. And judging by the response so far I'm not alone.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

May 27th, 2014, 17:06
First of all thanks form all the support we got from you guys.
We got a lot of bakers from RPGWatch and we really appreciate it.

Just to clarify the idea, our main focus is on the FPS and RPG aspect, while the RTS completes the parts that you need to have in order to control your open world.

We don't intend on making an All-In-One game, or to beat Total War series, Skyrim and Warcraft in one game. Instead, we are bringing similar features and focus on creating a unique and special game around them.

If you find CivCraft an intersting concept please support us and spread the word to your friends.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects…nds-of-ellaria

Adrain909

Traveler

May 29th, 2014, 12:03
Looking at this game on kickstarter, I get little idea of what you actually do on a minute by minute basis. On the face of it, if you flip into a different game style in the middle of a battle, you'd likely screw up in most action game designs.

On top of that if you mix different play styles in a single game are you going to do either of them well? We know that 150k is a miniscule budget for both RTS and FPS games on their own, so it is very hard to see anyone doing both well in a single game.

And if you aren't intending to beat those other games, why would one not play those instead? If Civcraft is going to be a "unique and special game", rather than a mish-mash of styles, then it isn't clear exactly how, right now.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CivCraft - Kickstarter Now Live