Gothic 3 Why i love Gothic 3 and hate Oblivion

It sounds like you haven't tried the 1.7 patch; most of the bugs were fixed and alternate AI and balancing were added as well. It's a very good game now.

As far as G3 vs Oblivion, why does it seem to be crime to like both? I've played both several times and enjoyed each in its own way.

I agree, fragonard. I appreciate both games for the different things they bring to the table. I have Oblivion installed with nearly 200 mods…the modding community has made it a brilliant game. I took a break from Oblivion, however, and am currently playing through G3 with the 1.74 patch...and it is also a brilliant rpg.

After playing open game worlds like Oblivion and G3, it's sometimes hard to go back to a more linear rpg. :)

Originally Posted by ShadowMoses
"Untill you get players that bunny hop up and down mountains all day!"

I didn't say it worked better in practice :D

Actually, to both of you, it makes perfect sense in both logic and practice.

Right now, in real life, if you decided to hop around everywhere you went from now on, you would indeed give people the impression that there is something fundamentally wrong with you, but you would also indeed work out your jumping muscles and your coordination. It's feasible, that provided you learn how to fall just right, all that jumping would indeed benefit you falling from higher heights, provided you land feet first. You may not work up your entire athletic capabilities by only hopping everywhere, but this is a game, they can only put so many different skills before it gets to be too much.

I have never seen where in-game, forcing a player to practice a skill in order to build it up was actually unrealistic. I see the benefit behind training-only skill building because it gives the game designers much more control over the challenge they design into the game, but it's completely unrealistic. In reality, training is only actually tutoring to give us knowledge to help us as we discover and teach ourselves. You see building a skill is like learning any art, one must learn what works for them and their bodies and focus on the goal to be attained, not micromanaging how the goal is attained. In other words, moving your hand a specific way may help one person to a certain attack, but another person may have to make a slight modification to accomplish the same goal.

In real-life practice is the primary thing that teaches us, not the training. Even in academics, the class is only a guide for a student to better teach themselves. Unfortunately, we are so spoiled that we don't realize that the goal of a class in not to teach, but instead it is to provide sufficient knowledge and resources to a person so that they can best teach themselves.

Back
Top Bottom