What games are you playing now?

I played it when the game was brand new, but it's possible that they've removed the auto-aim, or at least made it far far less noticeable. Previously I could aim to the side of an enemy and still hit it. And no, I did not play it with a controller.

Hmm, to me auto-aim means it automatically aims at the target. It's possible that it "auto hits" the target to some extent, even if I've never noticed. I guess I could test it out :)

Hmm, to me auto-aim means it automatically aims at the target. It's possible that it "auto hits" the target to some extent, even if I've never noticed. I guess I could test it out :)

You can see a clear case of auto-aim in the original Quake (unless you typed in sv_aim 1 in the console). Basically, the game compensates for you if you don't aim right on target, and was used heavily in early FPSs, before you had good mouse support, as aiming straight at a target was harder than it should have been (and aiming vertically was impossible). Console games (and poor ports) tend to feature a good amount of auto-aim as well, as you don't get the same level of precision with a dual-stick setup compared to using a mouse & keyboard. It's per definition not when the game just flat out does all the aiming for you (like in say a game with a lock-on system), so a more correct term might be "aim compensation", but that's not the term that's being used.

Just tested it: absolutely no auto aim whatsoever. Even if I aim just to the right of an alien, I still miss.

So, you must have been imagining things - or they've changed it.

Still playing Underrail and have logged over 100 hours, mostly because I keep restarting. It's pretty fun, but there is a massive difficulty spike after leaving the first few areas. You'll go from killing groups in one or two rounds, to trying not to face more than one or two creatures. Healing items become a favorite buy, which is a good thing. The story is barely there and npcs feel like task-givers, not people. Pretty good for an indie though and I've played commercial games that had much less story. There are factions, but so far I've worked for all of them with very little consequence.

Still playing Underrail and have logged over 100 hours, mostly because I keep restarting. It's pretty fun, but there is a massive difficulty spike after leaving the first few areas. You'll go from killing groups in one or two rounds, to trying not to face more than one or two creatures. Healing items become a favorite buy, which is a good thing. The story is barely there and npcs feel like task-givers, not people. Pretty good for an indie though and I've played commercial games that had much less story. There are factions, but so far I've worked for all of them with very little consequence.

Hmm, the story part means I'll probably skip it. Too bad.

Just tested it: absolutely no auto aim whatsoever. Even if I aim just to the right of an alien, I still miss.

So, you must have been imagining things - or they've changed it.

I remember testing it, and the aiming was so heavy that I could aim about 1/6-1/8 of the screen away from the enemy and still hit. Sounds like I should give the game another chance

I've been playing Knights of the Old Republic Two for about two weeks now. Finished it as a good two shoes three days ago, then promptly restarted playing a real d.......not a nice guy. I'm not a fan of the Star Wars universe really, I much prefer Star Trek myself, but this game actually seems to have a great deal of choice and consequence involved, which I'm quite keen on.

Hmm, the story part means I'll probably skip it. Too bad.

Well, let me play deeper into the game. I've basically played the first 3 sections about 5 times each. I've never gotten into the heart of the game because I enjoy playing with builds. If the story improves, I'll be sure to post about it.

I remember testing it, and the aiming was so heavy that I could aim about 1/6-1/8 of the screen away from the enemy and still hit. Sounds like I should give the game another chance

I played AvP very recently, and I never experienced what you're describing.

Besides… that game doesn't need anything that would make it even more terrible than it already is. ;)

Still playing Underrail and have logged over 100 hours, mostly because I keep restarting. It's pretty fun, but there is a massive difficulty spike after leaving the first few areas.

What would you say are some of the more useful skills so far? Do they seem pretty balanced in general?

I finally purchased Deus Ex: The Fall (Steam version) and having finished Shadowrun Hong Kong, it seemed like the appropriate next game to play (go Cyberpunk!).

My first reaction is that it's not as worst as the comments on Steam and friends have lead me to believe. Sure the map are small and graphics are low rez (it is mobile game and loading is fast), voice acting goes from good/competent (main characters, Eliza and Bob Page) to dreadful (unnamed random hobos), and you can't jump, but overall it feels a lot like DX:HR with similar issues (like the funky cover system, good thing I don't use it, I much prefer vent crawling).

What would you say are some of the more useful skills so far? Do they seem pretty balanced in general?

Yeah, the skills are fairly well balanced as far as combat goes. Crafting skills aren't needed at all; well as far as I've played, and thief skills are vital, except for traps. Psi skills have a built in advantage in that they cost no ammo, but they have a cooldown AND a mana cost. I think it works out well. There are bribing and persuasion skills, but I just don't think they make enough difference for the investment. Merchant skill helps quite a bit in the early game and is superfluous later on.

I was in the mood for something derp'ish, so i started Ryse Son of Rome :lol: ; patiently waiting for sword coast legends, original sin ee + wasteland 2 goty.

While I'm in no particular hurry to upgrade to Windows 10 Spyware, I know that that day is inevitably coming closer as I don't want to miss out on the free upgrade either, of course, so since I want to go with a clean Win10 install, I am doing just that and cleaning up my system which means finishing the games I have installed and that I would likely not reinstall after upgrading.

So I'm currently trying (again) to finally finish Dragon Age Origins (Ultimate Edition). I actually bought the CE of DAO when it first came out and played through all of the origin stories back in the day but then they announced and released one DLC after another and the expansion so I probably decided to wait.
Later on I purchased the Ultimate Edition on Steam and manually added my CE codes to it and that is the game I am playing now after I abandoned a second attempt of a playthrough in 2012 (according to the traces I left on the BioWare social hub stuff).
So... 2009, 2012 and now 2015... hopefully third time's the charm and I'll either make it this time or abandon the game for good.

I'm a little over 20 hours into the game and my main is a level 10 mage. This is the character I started in 2012 so I only have vague memories of the story so far but some of it is coming back as I play.
I just did a pretty long winded and very grindy quest in the Fade (the Sloth demon thing) and also helped the folks in Redcliffe Castle with their demon issues.

So far so good... I'm kind of enjoying it this time. I'm playing with two mods installed. One is for gifts and shows which party member they are meant for and the other is a UI mod because the fonts are really small at 1440p (it's probably outright unplayable at 4K with the default UI).

I'm quite optimistic that I might actually finish it for real this time but it's supposed to be a really long game especially with all the DLC and the expansion, right? I might require a stamina buff for that... we'll see... ;)

Still on my long run to finish Might & Magic Heroes 6, well I did just finish it but now I'm playing the Shade of Darkness expansion which has two more campaigns, so I'm about past the middle of the Dungeons campaign.
Also playing CK2 with the Horse Lords and Hearts of Iron 3 for my youtube channel (they kept asking for it so I had to learn it).
Paused for a bit my run of Shadowrun: Hong Kong until I finish M&MH6.

Had the time and the urge to do some NWN2 OC over the weekend. In what, for me, was a long session I only managed to clear two and half of the Illefarn statue/rite of purification locations. Again the "grindiness" of the game starts to impinge on my enjoyment. Otherwise did some more Morroblivion (trying a combat mod) and Divinity2: Flames of Vengence.

-kaos

I finished Shadowrun: Hong Kong, now I am of to Antharion.I like the game so far but I don't like the fact spells can fail.Already I had to reload 2 fights because healing spell failed at crucial moment.

I also played Satellite reign and my first impression is that game loading time is too long and game has big fps drops( my PC isn't state of the art but it runs Witcher 3 decently on medium settings).Game performance is poor even for Unity game.

Last edited:
I'm suddenly faced with several games that I really want to play, but I've got the same problem as always: not enough time to really immerse myself. So, I'm just dabbling a bit and going from game to game.

I've played a bit of Metal Gear Solid 5 - and once I got past the terrible introduction sequence, it looks to be a really solid open world stealth game. Strangely enough, I've never actually played an open world stealth game - and the potential for greatness in that formula is definitely there. It will depend on how strong the story and the exploration turns out to be, but it definitely seems there's a lot of meat to this one. That said, I can't say the setting or the storytelling approach is all that good. Too over-the-top and melodramatic for my tastes, but that's my reaction to most asian games.

Then I've started Arkham Knight after the recent patch, and I have to say it's a very impressive game in terms of how it looks and performs. It's smooth as butter with everything to max on my rig - and it's really amazing to watch in motion. The gameplay feels more fluid and free than the past games as well, so maybe I'll finally enjoy one of these Batman games from start to finish. I've heard a lot of complaints about the batmobile sequences, but they seem fun enough to me. At least they're fast :)

One game that I've got a serious itch to play again is Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday - as I loved it to death back when I played it on my Amiga. I've tweaked it with DosBox settings until I was satisfied with how it looks - and I've acquired the manual/logbook/cluebook and I'm ready to play. I'm trying to decide if I should go with a full 6-player party or a 4-player party. If they share XP, then I'm leaning towards an optimised 4-player party, as I find it more pleasant when I don't have to be bogged down in combat with so many participants. I'm a much more competent powergamer than I was as a kid, so it shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Next week, I'll be going to my biyearly LAN party in the summerhouse of a friend - which means I'll be playing a lot of RTS games. These include Company of Heroes 2 and Act of Aggression - and so I've been playing a few skirmish games against the AI, so I'm not as rusty as I would be. AoA is turning out to be surprisingly complex considering it's a CnC inspired game - and CoH2 is as varied and challenging as ever. I absolutely despise the DLC scheme in CoH2, so I haven't been playing it much - as I hate not having access to everything. But the new faction (British Forces) looks to be quite entertaining. I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun with these games.

Then I've been playing Legend of Grimrock 2 with my brother and it remains very fun and appropriately old-school in terms of challenge. We've created a new party with nothing but spellcasters. Two Battlemages and two Wizards. Seems a very nice setup, and we've already handled some of the harder fights with more ease and guile than our last party, which we decided to scrap. We've just reached the stage where you get to choose which of 3 major locations you'll explore first, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like. I'm the one playing and my brother just watches and gives his input. One thing I will say: it's a bit taxing on my poor brain to "draw" the spells for each caster, as they all cast different spells. During the harder fights with fast enemies, it's not easy casting defensive spells while you try to trap enemies with a Forcefield, drink potions as well as killing stuff with 3 different kinds of offensive spells. I guess that's the downside to this otherwise potent combo!

Back
Top Bottom