Hellgate London - Patch Plans

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Hellgate: London site has notes for the upcoming 0.5 patch. Here's a partial snip that shows more character slots...
We're gearing up to release what we internally refer to as Patch 0.5. We intend this update to resolve many of the issues players are having with Hellgate: London.

In preparation for our 0.5 launch, we'll be...

1) Wiping our Test Center tonight.

2) Placing copies of all US characters into the Test Center tomorrow.

If you'd like to see Patch 0.5 early and help us perfect the update, please login to the Test Center over the weekend. If all goes well, the 0.5 update will be made available to everyone next week.

Curious about what you can expect? Here's a draft of our 0.5 patch notes:

• General:
  • All players now have 24 character slots.
  • Fixed a known issue with the inventory user interface that caused the client to lock up.
  • Fixed a bug which caused the Mini-game to sometimes become stuck.
  • The Mini-game now resets every 15 minutes.
  • Added a /help command to provide assistance using available / commands.
  • Some new posters have been added to stations, so check them out!
More information.

I will go to my grave never understanding this.

Movies don't get released to the theaters and then edited afterwards to make them more interesting or to add basic things like sound and dialogue.

Why are patches to fix broken games and to add basic features the norm in this industry? The "the publisher and finances forced them to release" argument does not fly. Flagship was founded by wealthy blokes with clout.

Is this the patch which makes it fun?

Sorry. Had to say that.

I will go to my grave never understanding this.

Movies don't get released to the theaters and then edited afterwards to make them more interesting or to add basic things like sound and dialogue.

Why are patches to fix broken games and to add basic features the norm in this industry? The "the publisher and finances forced them to release" argument does not fly. Flagship was founded by wealthy blokes with clout.

And I will go to my grave not understanding this

Is this the patch which makes it fun?

Sorry. Had to say that.

Many found it fun before allready. Its just bugs making it unplayable.

Web 2.0 - continuous development.

Yes they do. They're called the "director's cut". And if you're a fan, you buy that DVD in addition to the original. Think how much money Darth Flannel has made off people buying half a dozen different versions of Star Wars: A New Hope. Game devs should take this idea to heart, and charge for the patches. They could call it the collect's edition, or silver/gold/diamond/platinum/niobium.

When a movie is shown pre-release with placeholder music and no SFX, it's done for the purpose of testing, like game beta testing. But you gotta be careful about that, since the plot summary will appear on Ain't It Cool before the day is out. And then they edit the movie right up to release, and push the final copy out to theatres because they're committed to a hard date, and if there's still some wire removal or a boom mic in frame... oops.

Maybe game writers could unionize and go on strike for better working conditions.

Yeah, there's a lot of bad habits the game industry could pick up from Hollywood. I hope they don't.

Many found it fun before allready. Its just bugs making it unplayable.

So it's fun, but just unplayable? What a bargain!

If you can't see the fundamental contradiction between "fun" and "unplayable" then I pity you.

Web 2.0 - continuous development.

Then I would like to welcome you to Game Purchasing 2.0 - it's just like Game Purchasing 1.0, I just do it six months later if your game is at all playable/fun (and yes, I find those two things intrinsically linked).

Last edited:
So it's fun, but just unplayable? What a bargain!

If you can't see the fundamental contradiction between "fun" and "unplayable" then I pity you.

Lots of games have been unfun even if released as playable. Its the "fun" thing that is most hard to create not the "playability". Unlike "playability" you cant fix "unfun".

Then I would like to welcome you to Game Purchasing 2.0 - it's just like Game Purchasing 1.0, I just do it six months later if your game is at all playable/fun (and yes, I find those two things intrinsically linked).

Well you can yell all you like. Hellgate has allready lost customers with their dirty deeds. Your screams matter little.

Back
Top Bottom