Venetica - Review @ The Guardian

You can count me as one who is pleasantly surprised at the enjoyment I've had with Venetica through the first 20 hours. This isn't a game that necessarily breaks new ground, and it's certainly not the deepest rpg around, but as Gorath put it, it's an "inspired" game, meaning that it doesn't feel like a half-baked effort from the developers. There seems to have been a good amount of passion put into the development of Venetica, and it has enough personality to immerse me into its world. The combat, while simple, keeps the player involved and avoids being so easy that you can beat the game in a sleep-walking state where button-mashing is enough to win every battle (which differs from, for example, Fable 2 and 3). The pacing also seems pretty solid.

It's a real shame that early English reviews are so negative, as it seems like the low scores are not very objective; reviewers of Venetica are, as always in certain markets, too focused on the size of the budget and the quality of the visuals and sounds rather than the quality of the actual gameplay and the overall experience. This is especially frustrating to me because despite the modest budget, Venetica still looks and sounds reasonably solid, so I'm not sure why there is so much nit-picking on the part of reviewers. Visuals and sound quality are complimentary in my opinion, so these aspects can only make a game better, not worse. For example, Arcanum is probably one of the ugliest games I've ever played, but that did not hinder my enjoyment of what was an incredible game; better graphics would have merely enhanced the enjoyment of the game.

As is the case with most games created by small developers, Venetica can be very enjoyable if it is approached with an open mind and a willingness to look beyond the low budget and slightly rough edges. Those looking for a deep and complex rpg will not find it here, but it is an enjoyable experience featuring a lovingly crafted game world with a unique personality. Venetica is similar to the Fable series, but it differs in that it does not insult the intelligence of players by becoming ridiculously easy or by holding the player's hand too much. My only big complaint is that I wish Venetica had a larger game world with more "wilderness" to explore; I've never been crazy about being in cities in rpgs, and Venice, being the central part of the story, is obviously very heavily featured.

Without actually playing the console versions I would prefer the platforms in the following order:
1. PC (lead platform)
2. PS3 (later conversion by Wizarbox, includes a couple of small improvements)
3. XBox (also outsourced to Wizarbox)

I don't know about the PS3 version but the 360 version plays very well, besides some graphic glitches I had no issues.
I'm not sure though if the 360 version to be released in the US is the same I have as mine is three quarters of a year old.
In any case I concur with what has been said by Mora1970 and Nerevarine about it :)

Official word by Deck 13 is:

Hi,

Thanks for your support! The PC version will come with the latest fixes. The Playstation 3 version has an improved interface and further fixes and optimizations. The Xbox version, as far as I know, will be the version released in Europe.

As Deck13 did not create the console versions directly, our job was to assist with the porting. The largest amount of assistance was requested and delivered for the PS3 version.

Posted in their forum a week ago.

I haven't heard many reports about issues with the XBox version. Seems to be at least okay.

Ack - the PC version is coming with the latest fixes!!!!!
I just ordered the UK version from gogamer last night.

Oh well, I'm sure the web site will have the latest patches. I just finished Fallout Vegas and I'm ready for Venetica now instead of Jan 11.

Thanks, Nerevarine. That was very encouraging to read.

Now there is ~34h behind and I've just got to the palace and still feeeeeels good. And still no bugs besides those small graphic glitches (with xbox-version).

It's somehow comforting that with pretty low budget they've done so bug-free game that many big-budget should shame on themselves.

Okay… First round done and behind. It took about 38 hours. Difficulty level was easy (I'm no HC) so next round with difficultier level might take about same when battles may take longer but there will be less running around when you know where is what.

Protip: do the sidequests before you start the revolt because game ends after the last boss. So I also had about fifteen side quest undone and I think I hadn't taken them all.

Anyways, me likey a lot. This was my surprise game of the year 2010 and maybe even 2011 :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the wrap up and protip, Mora.

Back
Top Bottom