Dragon Age: Inquisition - Introduction to Vivienne

Is this a character that can join the party? I'm not clear on that. If so, I will definitely skip her, just not interested in her as a character. Hopefully, there will be a wide range of characters available to join the party in this game, and we aren't stuck with only one or two choices for a wizard character in the party.

But if she is a main character in the game and part of the story line, that is different.

@Arkadia7

There are only 9 companions total. At best, there will be 3 of each class.

OK, thanks for the info. Well, three for each class is better than nothing, I suppose.

The 14 year old in me says she's hot. I'm gonna play a female avatar and then go out with her.

Last edited:
Great guns, she's a lot like my Dragon Age: Origins character... I wonder if she has any elven blood in her? I could decree that she's Tesslah's granddaughter!

It is very unlikely. DA:O did not include this type of characters. Lately, I noticed that it might be easier for developpers to drop this kind of characters on things associated to a french background. When Ubisoft wanted to correct their black fag thing (as they advertized as being historically accurate) which managed to bypass slavery in a carribean settings in the 17th century, they dropped the issue on french related content. Other than avoiding to spook the anglosphere by recalling the past, hard to figure why.

Similarly, such characters were absent from DA universe, probably because Bioware know that fantasy does not accomodate well that kind of characters.
Yet, again, they passed the bucket on Orlais to feature this kind of characters.

It is very unlikely. DA:O did not include this type of characters. Lately, I noticed that it might be easier for developpers to drop this kind of characters on things associated to a french background. When Ubisoft wanted to correct their black fag thing (as they advertized as being historically accurate) which managed to bypass slavery in a carribean settings in the 17th century, they dropped the issue on french related content. Other than avoiding to spook the anglosphere by recalling the past, hard to figure why.

Similarly, such characters were absent from DA universe, probably because Bioware know that fantasy does not accomodate well that kind of characters.
Yet, again, they passed the bucket on Orlais to feature this kind of characters.

Not quite sure what you mean. Black characters in general? I don't think the presence of black characters (or peoples) by itself is an issue, though absence definitely is.
Bio did non-European (-looking) settings and characters before, so I don't think that they deliberately set down and say ' let's exclude blacks'. I think it's more a question of generic pseudo-Tolkienesque fantasy being overwhelmingly if vaguely pseudo-western European medieval in its outward ' look' (and thus 'white') that they just…kinda forgot.

It may (or may not) be telling that Bio is Canadian, where the black population is comparatively tiny (and to a large part consists of recent immigrants). Bethesda, which included the Redguards almost from the get-go in Tamriel, is based in Maryland, a former slave state in the USA. You bet this makes you a lot more aware and sensitive when it comes to these issues.

As for Black Flag, you may be right (though I would say USA and not ' Anglosphere' in this case), but it may also have something to do with the fact that Ubisoft is a French company. They already touched on slavery in the French colonies with their PS Vita AC game 'Liberation'.

(a bit off-topic and I apologise ;) )

It is not off topic considering that people already brought the topic. It is claimed that there were black PCs in DA:O

Did DA:O include the possibility to personnalize a PC in the type of Vivienne?
I dont recall so.

If then, it means that the absence of black characters was not an issue. Never read or heard anything (from official sources)that could suggest otherwise. This demolished the claim that the absence of black characters is certainly an issue.

Second, both Ubisoft and Bioware share a common point.
The black character is dropped on Orlais (which has french refering)

I dont know how Ubisoft being a french company intervenes in this mix.

In both case, Bioware and Ubisoft dropped those kind of characters on their french related in game background.

There could be no slaves in the previous AC thing in the anglosphere part? On what ground?

There could be no black characters in Ferelden? On what ground?

Liberation is the game I refered to. Noticeably, the PC has a french parent and a black parent.
Could not have been an english parent or something?

I'm not sure if it is the average player, ME3 stat shows that the majority play the "good/paragon" side (64.5% vs 35.5%).
The reason to that is simple - you get more war assets that way and then you don't have to go multiplayer at all to get "the best" ending.
Since ME3 multiplayer plain sux, guess why more people tend to be "good".

There is however one war asset better if you do it as renegade, but it's not available as default:
You get a better number if you used a savegame from ME1/ME2 where Urdnot Wrex is dead and if in ME3 you choose to sabotage genophage cure. If Wrex is alive, and he is alive per default if you don't use a savegame from ME1/ME2, you get better number with paragon option of developing the cure.

Would you go renegade because of that? No you wouldn't! Why not?
If you let Wrex die in ME1, you don't meet him in ME3, you miss his hilarious oneliners in ME3 and you never get a chance to have him again in your party in ME3 DLC Citadel.
The same thing goes for all ME2 possible party members. If you went renegade with them, they won't be loyal and will most probably die in the end of ME2 which means you don't see them in ME3 nor you get war asset bonuses they provide.

As I've posted elsewhere I'm replaying ME series. I did finish the whole thing a few days ago but I was playing as a "neutral", did half things in a paragon, the other half in a renegade way. Guess what am I doing now? I'm replaying the whole trilogy again just to get all those "bonuses" I missed because of my renegade choices.

It's not players who want to be good/bad, it's about the game design where you don't see or get a massive amount of stuff if you played as renegade.

Not quite sure what you mean. Black characters in general? I don't think the presence of black characters (or peoples) by itself is an issue, though absence definitely is.
Not sure what this is about but since I'm talking about ME game series, whoever at least started playing it, it's plain obvious there is no global racistic approach in the trilogy at all. There are all kinds and colors of characters.

However, the milk is spilled in Mass Effect cartoon. The main protagonist is the most uninteresting NPC from the game series, and I dare to say that in series (in ME3 actually) he's portrayed as "white power" racist. They could put the black guy from ME2 who survives whatever choice you make and who is definetly an interesting character, but for whatever reason they didn't. Then again, it's a cartoon made by whomever, not a game made by Bioware.

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe I read almost this whole thread. :p

Back
Top Bottom