RPGWatch - Best PC RPGs of the 1990s Poll

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Alright everyone it has been a month since you all helped vote for the Best RPGs of the1980's, now its time to help XP4T decide the Best PC RPGs of the 1990s.

Welcome to the days of yore! Back here in the 1990s we’re all having a colourful multicultural revolution, hip-hoppers and grungers alike, looking ahead to the true rise of the Internet at the end of the decade. Some of you may have very fond memories of the early days of PC RPGs, while some of you may not even have been born. Either way, as PC gamers our rich legacy of dice-rolling and orc-slaying established in crude CGA and 16-colour VGA graphics in the 1980s positively exploded in the 1990s.
More information.

guess I can start the unofficial missing list part 2

Dark Heart of Uukrul

didn't make the 1980's list because it was released in 1990

Wasn't a there a really good one that was Amiga exclusive?

I didn't realize the Krynn games were the 90s, I thought they were older. I loved those.

Quite some work to find the most loved ones from that list. ^^
Voted for:
Albion
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Fallout 2
Lands of Lore 1 - Throne of Chaos
Planescape Torment
Realms of Arkania 1 Blade of Destiny
Realms of Arkania 2 Startrail
Stonekeep
Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall
Eye of the Beholder 2

Follow Ups would have been the other EOtB parts, RoA3, Wizardry 7 and Might and Magic 4/5+6

There must be some misclicks btw: Dark Sun: Shattered Lands cannot be below Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager ^^

So far I'm the only one who voted for Martian Dreams. I had a really good time with that one. Never got around to play Savage Empire.

pibbur who is not surprised by number 1 and 2

I loved so many of those RPGs from the 90's that it's really hard to pick just 10.
So, I voted for one favorite from each franchise in order to spread my votes around.

1) Ultima 7
2) Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss
3) Fallout 1
4) Planescape Torment
5) Might & Magic III
6) TES II: Daggerfall
7) Wizardry VII
8) System Shock
9) Dungeon Master 2
10) Baldur's Gate
Betrayal at Krondor
Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams
Eye of the Beholder
Menzoberranzan
Final Fantasy VII
Lands of Lore I: Throne of Chaos
Dark Sun

So far I'm the only one who voted for Martian Dreams. I had a really good time with that one. Never got around to play Savage Empire.

pibbur who is not surprised by number 1 and 2

I was the opposite, played Savage Empire but never got very far in Martian Dreams. I remember starting it, but don't remember why I set it aside.

Nevwerwinter Nights is on that list? Someone must have mixed up AoL NWN with Bioware NWN1.

Its obvious the NWN game on the list is for the AOL version. Still I agree that some gamers will be confused as BioWare's version wasn't released till 2002.

The offline version can be played for free from the following link.

Link - http://www.myabandonware.com/game/neverwinter-nights-183
This precursor of BioWare's Neverwinter Nights was an online rpg that was running on AOL for most of the nineties. It uses the same engine as the popular goldbox AD&D games by SSI, and all the usual features are there. If you have played any of the other goldbox games, this one holds no surprises.

While this offline version has all the areas and features of the online game, the unfortunate fact that one cannot save the character makes playing it somewhat pointless. There is some entertainment to be found from just exploring the game area and slaying some monsters, but in the end I can only recommend it for those who want to complete their collection of goldbox AD&D games.

The absolute winner for me was Betrayal at Krondor, I lost months in that game. I had no trouble picking nine others, but only one could win =)

Its obvious the NWN game on the list is for the AOL version. Still I agree that some gamers will be confused as BioWare's version wasn't released till 2002.

The offline version can be played for free from the following link.

Link - http://www.myabandonware.com/game/neverwinter-nights-183

Its technically considered a MMORPG (the first) and me doesn't see any of the others from that decade: Gemstar 1-3, Meridian 59, UO, EQ, nor Asheron's Call.

They should put Baldurs Gate on the top of the section list. Forcing all the voters to scroll down to it when there are so few not selecting it? That just seems wrong!

Not enough people played Amberstar. It was truly a remarkable game for its time.

Planescape: Torment
Fallout 2
Ultima VII
Betrayal at Krondor
Might and Magic IV and V - World Of Xeen
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Wizardry VI
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Ravenloft 2: The Stone Prophet
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

Only reason I didn't vote for BG is because I much prefer BG2.

I was surprised to find Darkstone there, I thought that everyone forgot about it.
It's a pity it's almost unplayable on modern screens due to limited resolution support, early 3d games just don't age as well as isometric 2d games (like Diablo which is still ok)

Oo. :)

Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (or the whole trilogy, if you count it as one)
Betrayal at Krondor
Quest For Glory I
Age of Wonders
Baldur's Gate

Edit: Diablo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom