Space Exploration: Serpens Sector - Preview Download

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Remember Star Control? UK indie developer Metal Beetle has released playble preview code for Space Exploration: Serpens Sector, which they say is an RPG inspired by Starflight and Star Control. According to the press release, the engine is essentially done and they are concentrating on adding content and seeking feedback, so don't expect too much at this stage:
Space Exploration: Serpens Sector Development Preview 8 Released
Metal Beetle Ltd has released a new preview version of Space Exploration: Serpens Sector, its upcoming RPG. The new preview is available from http://www.metalbeetle.com/spaceexploration/download.php.
Space Exploration: Serpens Sector is a role-playing game based on classics like Starflight and Star Control. You are tasked with exploring the mysterious Serpens Sector after a long period of human absence. Each game has a different map and a different set of encounters, drawn from a large list. The base game will be free, and purchasable expansions will add further encounters for those who enjoy the game and want to see more.
The game is still under development, but preview versions are available for download, and player feedback is very much encouraged. The engine is mostly complete, and development is now focused on creating game content. The writing aims to be an entertaining mix of the classically pulpy, subversions of the pulpy, and mild horror.
The game has been under development since late 2007 and is slated to be released in the second quarter of 2009. The first expansion will be released simultaneously.
Space Exploration: Serpens Sector is under development by Metal Beetle Ltd, a small UK-based software company.
More information.

Looks kinda cool....anyone try it yet?

Star Control and its first sequel were both outstanding. I would certainly be interested in something like this.

I also like the idea of giving away a "base game" while offering customers something extra. The whole thing would be more intriguing, I think, if they offered different content instead of just additional content. In other words, if they developed a myriad of versions in stackable elements to conform with a myriad of personality and style choices players could make throughout the course of the game.

Looks kinda cool....anyone try it yet?

The d/load is small, about 5 megs. I only spent 5 minutes in the game -- parts of the GUI were flickering too much too often. The interface and graphics are simpler than the first Star Con. You fly from planet to planet and get text descriptions and multi-choice dialogues. Battles are played out similar to SC. It looks to me like a sand-box trading/fighting game, but I may be wrong, maybe its a text adventure, too :).

Back
Top Bottom