Spacward Ho

I've never played it on the Ipad, but it was one of my favorite old school strategy games for the PC (I think it originated on the Mac). It's an incredibly fun but simple game where you can fight a battle accross dozens of solar systems in less then an hour. Seems perfect for the Ipad. I was recently wishing that someone would make a new PC version.

Anyone played this for iPad?
http://www.148apps.com/reviews/spaceward-ho-ipad-review/

It looks really interesting and getting reviews off the charts.

Oh man. Nostalgiaaaa…

I played this game to DEATH on our old Mac. I was addicted to it. :)
Then again, I had little else to play back in the day…

I've never played it on the Ipad, but it was one of my favorite old school strategy games for the PC (I think it originated on the Mac). It's an incredibly fun but simple game where you can fight a battle accross dozens of solar systems in less then an hour. Seems perfect for the Ipad. I was recently wishing that someone would make a new PC version.

I don't recall any of my sessions to be under the one hour mark. :)

Sounds like Homeworld to me.

Not really. It's a 4X game, akin to Sword of the Stars, Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations. It lacks any missions though, as far as I can remember, so it's just a sandbox. You generate a "galaxy" with a few parameters, then set to conquering it.
If you liked any of above games, you can't go wrong with Spaceward Ho.

Well first off, the only similarity to Homeworld is that both games take place in space.

Much as I loved Spaceward Ho, I wouldn't recomend it to every 4x gamer. It's extremely simplified, and somewhat cutsie. I think it's simplicity is it's strength, it allows for fast paced games, and it allows for a competent AI. But if your favorite part of 4x space games is detailed colony management, diplomacy, or commanding exciting fleet battles, Spaceward Ho might not be for you.

And you can definitely finish games quickly. One of my favorite parts of Spaceward Ho is that it has the least painful endgame of almost any 4X. When your clearly the winner, it's very easy to just mop up.

I remember Spaceward Ho!! I played it on my brother-in-law's Mac about a century ago. It's about as close to a casual game as 4X can get, really. I had quite a lot of fun with it, though it isn't anything I would expect to play long term. On an i-Pad for just $5, though? Good stuff.

P.S. Endless Space looks like another lightweight 4X game. It's good to see some easy 4X games getting out there. That should let a lot more people get a feel for the genre and hopefully start looking into the more hard core stuff. Just as long as companies don't suddenly decide that the ONLY profitable 4X game is a lightweight 4X game….

I even remember the almost ancient advertisement for this game. In the 90s, somewhere. I never bought it, though, since it just wasn't my favourite genre at that time.

Back
Top Bottom