Games like Fallout ,Icewind dale?

Don't forget to patch if you are installing Pool of radiance

The most vile and treacherous bug to come along in a long time is the uninstall bug that wipes out system files. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, uninstall this game before you run the update from the POR homepage.

Yes, you actually have to install the game with a "patch" to the installer (which is actually a new downloaded installer if I'm not mistaken, not really a "patch" per se), since the installer was bugged. A unique CRPG bug, to my knowledge.

Yes, you actually have to install the game with a "patch" to the installer (which is actually a new downloaded installer if I'm not mistaken, not really a "patch" per se), since the installer was bugged. A unique CRPG bug, to my knowledge.

Yeah thanks guys, I did patch the game and the installer, and now really enjoying the game overall, they should get a fixed up version of this on GOG, perfect fit there.

Glad to hear it! Enjoy!

This game was so universally dissed, that I doubt GOG will bother. A shame for a diamond in the rough, as it is.

I think the main problem GOG will have with getting it released is the fact that Ubisoft currently owns the rights to it, while Hasbro owns the rights to D&D, so those two parts would have to talk to each other.

I am new to pc gaming and even though i have a decent rig i am in love with fallout 1 and Icewind dale.. only 2 games i played on the pc since a friend highly recommended them, these older games are amazing and i find myself addicted to games from late 90's to early 2000's, any suggestions to this new pc gamer…thank you.

P.S- I could go in-depth into my love for these two games but i wnna keep it short and simple.

I have some slightly older suggestions:

I think that the various Goldbox series (Forgotten Realms, Krynn, Savage Frontier, and Buck Rogers) are fairly similar to Icewind Dale in spirit. They are fairly linear dungeon crawls where you roll a party and fight a ton of tactical battles.

The Darksun games are slightly newer and stronger RPGs (thus more Baldurs Gate than Icewind Dale).

Darksun uses an overhead view that isnt quite isometric, the Goldbox games use first person for exploration and isometric for combat.

Based on fond memories, I recently replayed some of the gold box games. Unfortunately they are definitely showing their age. A lot of the game mechanics have become tiresome and I can't say I found it all that interesting. It's more enjoyable to play some of the better community developed modules for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2.

I've said this many times, but it's actually we ourselves that age, not the games. ;) They stay the same...

I can still happily play the Goldbox games without problems; for me its a case of not letting modern sensibilities remove or spoil my capacity to enjoy them.

Also the combat from NWN 1+2 isn't turn based enough to scratch the Goldbox itch...

My suggestion for the topic: Knights of the Chalice. Fantastic turn based combat and one of the closest in spiritual feeling to the Infinity Engine games.

Sorry for chiming in late, but I can recommend a few other Fallout and Icewind Dale type RPGs :). Aside from the obvious of Icewind Dale 2 and Fallout 2, here are some others:
Avernum: Escape from the Pit, and Avernum 4 - 6 (Escape from the Pit is atually a recent remake of Avernum 1, but the older 1 and 2 are much more old school in presentation an design, and might not sit well with someone who is used to games like Icewind Dale).
Geneforge 1 - 5.
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (gameplay is very similar to Fallout).
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (same engine as Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment)
Planescape: Torment (Very text and story heavy and with little combat, so it might not be your thing, but most RPG fans love it)
Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 (especially 2)
Eschalon Book 1 and Book 2

Upcoming:
Wasteland 2 - early to mid 2014 (If you dug Fallout then you would love this one)
Pillars of Eternity - late 2014 (spiritual successor to Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate)
Torment: Tides of Numenera - 2015 (successor the Planescape: Torment mentioned above)

This is not a comprehensive list, but these are the ones that come to mind first for me :).

Y'now, Ultima 9 was originally supposed to be Isometric (sigh).

AFAIK, Ultima Online still is.

I've said this many times, but it's actually we ourselves that age, not the games. ;) They stay the same…

I can still happily play the Goldbox games without problems; for me its a case of not letting modern sensibilities remove or spoil my capacity to enjoy them.

Also the combat from NWN 1+2 isn't turn based enough to scratch the Goldbox itch…

My suggestion for the topic: Knights of the Chalice. Fantastic turn based combat and one of the closest in spiritual feeling to the Infinity Engine games.
Yea, NWN games are no substitute for proper TB D&D combat. Maybe if I want to play online with others, or play a certain module for 'story' reasons, I might pop in NWN, it's really kind of apples & oranges though.

D&D games that can scratch that gold box itch somewhat would be....Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice.

First I wanted to highlight the two games which were already mentioned here:
Jagged Alliance 2, which focuses heavily on tactics, but has very strong RPG elements, especially considering the individuality of over 60 characters.
And Avernum, which you can get for just around 12$ bucks on steam and gog.
Avernum is an awesome open world RPG with Turn Based combat, lots of exploration, side quest and actually 3 main goals in the game, each with different endings. On the highest difficulty it is also one of the hardest RPGs I ever played. Just be aware Sounds and Graphics are sub-average. Played for 159 hours.

The two other games I want to mention here are:
Dark Sun A game from the early 90s set in a D&D world, which is completely destroyed and turned into deserts. You begin fighting for your lives in an Arena and then break out. I see it as the predecessor to Baldurs Gate and actually prefer it due to the Turnbased combat system. Make sure you play the Dark Sun Shattered Lands though. The second game "Ravager" wasn't that good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hDA9cTfO7Y
And another rathe recent title: Drakensang: River of time
It's very similar to Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age 1 which was released shortly before. Also has a Pausable Real Time Combat. Not so well known out of Germany.
But make sure it's the "River of time" as this is the second game with this name. The first game wasn't as good and the Expansion "Phileasson's Secret" is quite bad. Well, you can get them all bundled as "Drakensang: Complete Saga" for 15$ on amazon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTOVnZ_NdXM

Back
Top Bottom