RPG Codex - The Lists to Dwarf Them All

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPG Codex brings us the top 10 list of RPGs on PC and Console that no codexer can live without.
#1: Fallout

Infinitron: The first game to really successfully combine elements of dialogue-heavy reactivity, C&C and adventure gaming in the framework of a traditional RPG, something that a few CRPGs had begun to progress towards in the early 90s, but never quite managed to do before the genre's semi-collapse in the mid-90s. Combined with its simplistic but enjoyably violent combat (a quality which is somehow enhanced by its incongruent turn-based nature) and quirky setting, Fallout is understandably extremely popular on the Codex. However, as an RPG proper, it's not nearly as hardcore as some of its fans think it is.

Trash: I actually remember being really stoked for this game's release. Not because of any mention of reactivity or it being the salvation of role playing games on the PC. No, it was because of the infamous 'watch enemies explode like a blood sausage' comment that I really wanted to give this game a try. Boy did it deliver. Every weapon seemed to cause a new groovy way for my foes to fell. Burned to a crisp, chunks blown out or ripped in half. Whoo. And then you had those nasty little descriptions that just made me want to try and shoot people in the nuts and eyes. Fucking awesome man. Oh, and it also was like really good as an RPG. Yup.

JarlFrank: This is one of those classics that passed beyond my radar and I've only played it after joining the Codex. I had played many other great RPGs that came after Fallout already, so it didn't leave the same impression with me as it did with most other Codexers - but it's a good game, especially when you consider that it was one of the first of its kind and was released during a time of stagnation within the genre. The complex character system, many choices available to the player and violent combat makes it into a definite Codex favourite. Personally, I'd place it much lower on my top ten list (BURN THE HERETIC!) but it's definitely one of these games that does almost everything right. While most of the other Codex favourites are flawed gems, Fallout is a gem without any major flaws, and how often do you find a game like that?

Grunker: Like JarlFrank, I tried this game many years after its release. As a true P&P-fag, I recall first being quite disappointed in the character system and the wasted opportunity that it could have been the first game made with the near-perfect GURPS character system. However, my disappointment soon vanished. While Fallout isn't one of my favourite games due to my personal tastes, I have a great deal of admiration for the game in the way it meshes almost complete non-linearity with a compelling narrative, and how it manages to make its combat and character system fun despite their simplicity.

DarkUnderlord: Fallout is good.
More information.

I am really surprised to see Fallout I on that list ;)

Imma let you finish, but "best uhrpeedjee OF ALL TIME" lists are as useful as "what is an RPG?" arguments.

Also, for #1 and #2, they chose two games with shitty mechanics. FWIW.

Hard to take those guys seriously when one of the panel's comments is, "Haven't played it. Got bored with the combat system" for half the games. Also, "of all time" is a bit of a misnomer when their games cover, what, a five year span?

It's impossible to make a meaningful "best of all time" because of how fast technology changes. Games that were wonderful 20 years ago, are almost unplayably dull today. The UI's of old were almost universally terrible. All I can do when making such a list is to put down the games that were just the best during their time. My personal "best of" list has games from every era. Some of those games I can't even force myself to play anymore but they were awesome in their day.

Hard to take those guys seriously when one of the panel's comments is, "Haven't played it. Got bored with the combat system" for half the games. Also, "of all time" is a bit of a misnomer when their games cover, what, a five year span?

Well... he has something of a point about the IE combat system; it can get a little boring just watching the two sides slug it out. The ones he did like used turn-based combat, which is much more interactive, or single character systems.

Why Morrowind but not Oblivion?

I do not know the release dates of all games, but Fallout is from 1997, so that would be at least a 15 year time span.

I would have expected an Ultima game to be in the list.

Actually more like why Adele and not Gaga

I'm only a fan of half the games on that list. Guess that says a lot about different tastes and what not.

The list was determined by forum members´ votes.

Neither lady is remotely attractive, but Adele can at least sing :)

I'm sure MMX: Legacy will be on this list in the near future :D

Fallout #1, really? With a terrible combat AI for the uncontrollable followers I found it an exercise in tedium. And it's easily 80% of the play time. Don't get me started on the inventory management UI...

Back
Top Bottom