Bethesda Softworks - Fallout 4 Leak?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
MotoringCrunch has another rumor for Fallout 4 this time supposedly a PR leak from a Reddit user called GNR_Informant who says that he has a friend who works in Public Relations at Bethesda.

You know the drill by now so grab the salt on your way out.
smiley-wink.gif

First and foremost, the game will take place in Boston, and be kind of a direct sequel to Fallout 3 with a few groups returning. From what it sounds like, “The Institute” is pretty much the downtown DC or New Vegas of this game. Boston is going to be unlike anything we’ve seen in a Fallout game before, with buildings more on par with cyberpunk and retro-futurism.

Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim and want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim since of the complaints that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were too similar. Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks.

Androids play a big part in this game. The railroad from Fallout 3 is a faction. The enemies of the railroad is “the Plantation” — a group who force Androids to farm so that Humans can get food. The Institute is highly advanced and probably obtained or built their own GECK to start a farm.

Due to complaints about using Super Mutants and the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 excessively and going against the lore too much, Bethesda has decided to avoid using these groups. Bethesda wants to make a new “race” (think Ghoul, Super Mutant) which will be central to Boston. Bethesda is currently looking at Lovecraftian fiction since Boston is around “Lovecraft Country”.
More information.

That rumor sounds like a dream... Would be great if at least half of that comes true... Well in the meantime I better hurry up and finish Fallout New Vegas... BTW: I don't remember any "railroad" faction from Fallout 3...

While I am positively gasping for a Lovecraft RPG, and I did find the little bit in Fallout 3 somewhat funny, I'd rather they did not go down the pastiche road in their usual heavy handed way too much.

Bits and bobs of fun here and there are ok and work with the series nature, I just hope they don't overdo it…

How do these:

"Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim""

"... want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim..."

lead to this, in the next sentence:

"Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks."

Yeah, the whole affair does not make a whole lot of sense overall as pointed out...

Probably someone threw it out there to bait the fans ;)

I'll wait until something official is out before getting excited or meh-ish - but a cyberpunk setting will almost always appeal to me.

Yeah, the whole affair does not make a whole lot of sense overall as pointed out…

Probably someone threw it out there to bait the fans ;)
Yep as I stated don't forget your salt;). Though all bets are on Boston, and going by Fallout Lore they are more advanced then other regions.

Oh I love cyberpunk settings. Its just that I would not like to see them dilute the series nature too much though.

I also am not sure what they mean by 50's cyberpunk ? Decopunk ala Bioshock ?
That could work if done tastefully and kept enough of the original series flavor when it came to the science bits…

In the end they could sit themselves down and do a couple of new fresh IPs (open world Lovecraft or Cyberpunk! :drool: just hire a couple of decent writers first ) Dog knows they have both the resources and the PR department to make this a less than risky proposition than it is for the average company out there… No need for pastiches.

All this discussion is totally academic of course. None of us are buying into all that leak business obviously ;)

I would love to play a new Lovecraft or Cyberpunk RPG. I'll even throw in Steam-punk also. So far all we have is Cyberpunk 2077, and that's a few years from now.

Most developers either use generic fantasy or plain sc-fi though. I don't mind playing them but something new is nice.:please:

I would love to play a new Lovecraft or Cyberpunk RPG. I'll even throw in Steam-punk also. So far all we have is Cyberpunk 2077, and that's a few years from now.

Most developers either use generic fantasy or plain sc-fi though. I don't mind playing them but something new is nice.:please:

I am prepared to throw money to someone for just saying RPG Steam Punk and Cherie Priest in the same sentence (I love that woman's books)... Not gonna happen though, alas...

I am prepared to throw money to someone for just saying RPG Steam Punk and Cherie Priest in the same sentence (I love that woman's books)… Not gonna happen though, alas…
You should try the Pax Britannia books if your into Steam-punk. They have everything a fan could ever want. They even include time traveling.:)

Link-http://abaddonbooks.com/series/pax_britannia/

I have heard of them and plan to look them up in the future, thanks :)

Unfortunately right now I have put myself on an essentials only strict regime after my recent overindulgences (not to mention I am actually embarrassed to tell you how many books there are in my backlog stash), so it'll be probably be a while...

Speaking of time travel and steampunk you might want to check out the Burton and Swinburne series (#1 in particular), not as good as Cherie's or as pure fun as Wooding's tales of the Ketty jay but pretty entertaining reads at any rate...

Grampa Wells sure made time travel a recurring theme in the genre...

BTW: I don't remember any "railroad" faction from Fallout 3…

There was a quest that took place at the large ship/freighter city where you had to discover which of the citizens was actually an android. Once you uncovered who it was, you had a choice of exposing him or letting him continue to live under the guise of being human.

He talks about The Institute and the people who control it as well as the androids who are used for labor. I don't recall if he actually uses the term "railroad" though. I chose to keep his secret, and I remember getting a unique gun from him in return.

There was also a scientist-type guy there who was hunting him, and he had additional dialogue in regards to The Institue and The Commonwealth.

Oh I love cyberpunk settings. Its just that I would not like to see them dilute the series nature too much though.

I also am not sure what they mean by 50's cyberpunk ? Decopunk ala Bioshock ?
That could work if done tastefully and kept enough of the original series flavor when it came to the science bits…

In the end they could sit themselves down and do a couple of new fresh IPs (open world Lovecraft or Cyberpunk! :drool: just hire a couple of decent writers first ) Dog knows they have both the resources and the PR department to make this a less than risky proposition than it is for the average company out there… No need for pastiches.

All this discussion is totally academic of course. None of us are buying into all that leak business obviously ;)

I get what you're saying - but since I'm not a fan of the Fallout setting in general, I'm probably more forgiving of them straying from the source.

I should also mention that of all the Fallouts - I strongly prefer the atmosphere in the third one. It had just enough sci-fi and wasn't entirely saturated in bleak/grey/brown - and that made it much more interesting to me.

Actually, come to think of it - I love the 50s sci-fi feel in Fallout, but despise the post-apocalyptic desert wasteland. So, it's only part of the Fallout setting I don't like :)

Paradoxically, I'm a huge fan of the scavenging/survival component of the Fallout paradigm - and I appreciate the logic of the setting. It's just that I enjoy variety and color a lot more than not - and I'd be in heaven if they did something like Blade Runner after the apocalypse. Exploring a "dead" cyberpunk world would be really something.

Obviously, a straight-up cyberpunk setting would be pretty strange - and would likely alienate a lot of fans, so if these rumors have merit - it's most likely something else.

Paradoxically, I'm a huge fan of the scavenging/survival component of the Fallout paradigm - and I appreciate the logic of the setting. It's just that I enjoy variety and color a lot more than not - and I'd be in heaven if they did something like Blade Runner after the apocalypse. Exploring a "dead" cyberpunk world would be really something.

Now that would be brilliant. period.

These sort of after apocalypse high-tech settings have sort of been briefly visited by other genres (Someone was posting about the somewhat related Primordia) but never by an RPG. I'd definitely get excited for that one...

Torment is somewhat exploring the concept of a high tech world on a far distant future but more in a Vance Tales of a Dying Earth sort of way (or even better the Wolfe books those spawned!) so definitely not the same setting. Still a very nice concept I am eager to dig in...

There was a quest that took place at the large ship/freighter city where you had to discover which of the citizens was actually an android. Once you uncovered who it was, you had a choice of exposing him or letting him continue to live under the guise of being human.

He talks about The Institute and the people who control it as well as the androids who are used for labor. I don't recall if he actually uses the term "railroad" though. I chose to keep his secret, and I remember getting a unique gun from him in return.

There was also a scientist-type guy there who was hunting him, and he had additional dialogue in regards to The Institue and The Commonwealth.

Thanks for the reminder. Now I remember - he was in the Rivet City on SE on the map. I saved him as well - well I do love The Bladerunner movie - and the laser weapon was quite cool - until you found another unique weapon.

This could be real great if true, and touch upon the story I'd love to see. Further, if I were doing this, and wanted to tie Fallout 3 to 4, I'd reveal that the main character's father in Fallout 3, who was highly educated and working on the water purification project long before he came to the vault, was in fact a person who'd fled The Institute/Commonwealth so that he could take a project he'd worked on there and try and release it for the greater good of humanity, and not a small group.

Further, I'd probably recommend the Canon ending be the one where the main character in Fallout 3 poisons the purification system with FEV, and also uses the orbital missiles to take out the Pentagon/Brotherhood at the end of broken steel. This would create a forced isolationism setting for the Commonwealth, explain why no more super mutants (FEV) and no more brotherhood (boom!).

I really hope FO4 has some cyberpunk/more 80's-ish feel to a future world. World of Tomorrow/50's feel is great for how the world was when the war occurred, but the idea that a group like this has not only survived, but thrived, means they'd be further along than that.

Back
Top Bottom