DA:Inquisition - Combat Video @ Eurogamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer released a new video that focuses on the combat of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Aoife Wilson gets cracking with the Dragon whacking in this preview of Dragon Age: Inquisition's combat mechanics. Have they hit the right balance, or is it a swing and a miss? Find out in this video preview which features brand new gameplay!
More information.

How would mele or assassin characters deal with them if they didn't?

How would mele or assassin characters deal with them if they didn't?

Exactly! So these things are supposed to be the pinnacle of millions of years of evolution, can breathe fire, lash tail, be scary, growl or whatever-- yet they land right in the middle of the pointy sticks every time.

Well, for me and you it might be an interesting challenge to find a way of slaying a dragon which lands only very occasionally but many of younger gamers would find it frustrating.

Meh, nothing new here, especially the part where console players with ADD should probably not play (or make videos about) RPGs.

This video made combat seem somewhat ok-ish, even if the effects are still over-the-top.

This video tells us why we cannot have good games. Console gameplay, practically action rpg and girl is talking about combat not being WOW enough. I want a time travel device and go back to 1998, 21st century sucks ass.
Oh and she calls DAO combat too slow. $#/(/(/#

Why do fly-capable dragons ever land when fighting… ever?

I've always disliked this, as it really doesn't make any sense. In a lot of settings, the stereotype "dragon hunter" is a guy in heavy armor with a sword, which is crazy. A powerful mage might be able to deal with dragons, but anyone else shouldn't stand much of a chance.

I've always disliked this, as it really doesn't make any sense. In a lot of settings, the stereotype "dragon hunter" is a guy in heavy armor with a sword, which is crazy. A powerful mage might be able to deal with dragons, but anyone else shouldn't stand much of a chance.
Well in D&D, adventurers go into dragon caves where the hoard is and fight the dragon there. No flying in there but Dragons usually have extra protections in such places. So you exchange one danger for another.

Use your imagination. There are many reasons (lore based and otherwise) one can come up with to explain why dragons never just do a drive by. ;) Curiousity towards humanoid creatures? Arrogance? (You don't stand a chance...) The concept of a fair and honorable challenge? (Dignity...) Perhaps they're simply not driven by cowardice like humans can be. :)

The part in the video where the narrator recalls "Combat has always been a problem in previous Bioware titles....Origins was too slow, etc" was a little amusing because only two Bioware games are actually reflected upon. She definitely could have stated "In previous Dragon Age titles" if she didn't wish to refer to any of the titles earlier than that (i.e a certain Baldur's Gate comes to mind...)

This video tells us why we cannot have good games. Console gameplay, practically action rpg and girl is talking about combat not being WOW enough.
Yeah, noticed it too. AND she also mentioned that she was allowed to play a very early part of the game. So if she wants WOW early on what she expect at higher levels? Tactical nuclear device? Players like her brought about the idea of Awesome Button in DA2.

Let's curse and condemn people for not loving tactical combat. I mean, what greater sin could we possibly imagine?

If you guys want more girls to play games, you're going to have to accept that they're not all in love with finding the most efficient ways of killing things :)

This game seems to at least try to cater to both audiences. It's also EA + Bioware = mainstream audience is priority number one.

Get over it already.

Let's curse and condemn people for not loving tactical combat. I mean, what greater sin could we possibly imagine?
If you guys want more girls to play games, you're going to have to accept that they're not all in love with finding the most efficient ways of killing things :)

1- Was tactical combat even mentioned? What was mentioned was an opinion that it's unrealistic to expect WOW moments early on in the game. In fact, she mentions it herself.
2- fact that reviewer is a female is irrelevant. Fact that she is young is.
3- there are plenty of games with plenty of WOW moments. RPG aren't supposed to be the ones where the lack of an Awesome button is a deal breaker.

1- Was tactical combat even mentioned? What was mentioned was an opinion that it's unrealistic to expect WOW moments early on in the game.
2- fact that reviewer was a female is irrelevant. Fact that she is young is.
3- there are plenty of games with plenty of WOW moments. RPG aren't supposed to be the ones where the lack of an Awesome button is a deal breaker.

If you watched the video, you'd understand that she's not looking for "wow" moments constantly, but that she simply wants to get on with the story. She also specifically says she doesn't enjoy tactical combat.

No, it's not irrelevant that she is female - because I'm talking about being inclusive to the female gender.

Pretending that men and women feel the same about war and fighting is exactly the kind of stupidity that will create a rift between the genders - rather than bring understanding. Could it be cultural rather than biological? Perhaps, but it doesn't change anything - because the result is a human being changed by circumstances of reality.

Your interpretation of her wanting an awesome button is both ignorant and derogative. She simply doesn't enjoy the nuances of tactical combat and wants to focus on storytelling.

Her being young means what? That she shouldn't be allowed to enjoy what she enjoys?

You and people like you should be the ones developers cater to?

What a selfish and ignorant position.

Once again, if you want a game made for the core audience with focus on deep and complex mechanics, you're looking in the wrong place.

EA + Bioware = business and mainstream.

Wrong? Not unless publishers and developers shouldn't be allowed to be who they want to be.

I thought you were the kind of person into that sort of thing? Maybe that's only in theory when it suits your personal preferences?

No, it's not irrelevant that she is female - because I'm talking about being inclusive to the female gender.
It's irrelevant to me. Thankfully, it's not your decision as to what I consider relevant or not.

Pretending that men and women feel the same about war and fighting is exactly the kind of stupidity that will create a rift between the genders - rather than bring understanding. Could it be cultural rather than biological? Perhaps, but it doesn't change anything - because the result is a human being changed by circumstances of reality.
bla, bla, bla...

Your interpretation of her wanting an awesome button is both ignorant and derogative.
Does she mention WOW moment or not?

Her being young means what? That she shouldn't be allowed to enjoy what she enjoys?
No. It means that she is likely to have less patience than older players.

You and people like you should be the ones developers cater to?
Yes. Not exclusively of course but yes. And, judging by the fact that I have played and enjoyed DA:O, they do.

It's irrelevant to me. Thankfully, it's not your decision as to what I consider relevant or not.

It's not about you or I, it's about the point I'm making. Logic dictates what's relevant there, I'm afraid.

bla, bla, bla…

Impressive argument.

Does she mention WOW moment or not?

You've mentioned it several times, certainly. I guess that means you need awesome buttons too?

Think about context and give people a chance not to get stuck in your rigid perception of who they have to be.

No. It means that she is likely to have less patience than older players.

Are you seriously suggesting games should cater only to people with a lot of patience?

Ridiculous.

Yes. Not exclusively of course but yes. And, judging by the fact that I have played and enjoyed DA:O, they do.

So, they can't decide for themselves who to develop for? Ok, sure, that's certainly an opinion.

You're usually less selfish, but thank you for your honesty.

Back
Top Bottom