Fallout 3 My Fallout 3 Thoughts...

That review actually took quite a bashing over at the Codex, but quite a few also agreed with it. I strongly support the review myself - it describes (fairly accurately) how I feel about FO3: It's a decent game, fun to play, but no more than that.

Have we became a we and them society now? I like to poke for reactions to see what I get. I am often not half as serious as I come across. Sometimes I just want to see how someone use their reason. I find the above comments to have a grain of truth in it. We have our reasons to choose what we play. Some only play games they like and I do not blame them. I have an investigating mentality that makes me get into odd titles just to see what I get out from it. It happens thus that I finish bad games.

I don't. I tend to stick to what I'll enjoy (at least somewhat). However, that doesn't mean I consider everything else crap - it's simply my taste that differs from that of others.

That said, I do understand the hatred some have for products that are over hyped. I feel the same way. It is extremely frustrating to hear things like "ooh this is so fantastic! It's brilliant!", but knowing that it's perfectly mediocre.

Example:
- People go "oooh look at the NPCs in Oblivion! They do every-day things like talk to each other and walk around aimlessly".
- The same people bashed Gothic.

Helloooo. 2+2. Anyone? Gothic is older than Oblivion (was released around the same time as Morrowind), but had superior atmosphere and NPCs already back then! By all means, if you don't like the controls, say so, but don't call Oblivion a "revolution" in terms of NPC behavior.

So yes, I understand people bashing FO3, because it was, and still is, over hyped. Personally, I'm just a bit more moderate - I consider FO3 quite good, and while I don't like the way people hype them (both Oblivion and FO3) up as if they were the most brilliant thing since Einstein, I am still quite capable of admitting that they do a lot of things right.

There was a major crime committed in the making of FO3.

Realized from the progeny of the original Fallouts, the world in FO3 is a Body Magnificent, flush with ambiance and atmosphere. Terrain, history, era, locals - both in-door and out, where created with love and care, and with what seems to me to be a true eye towards honoring the Fallout vision.

And this was the shell with which the devs had treated themselves to for the task of filling it, this Body Magnificent, with stuff... RPG stuff.

And the crime they committed was that they never put a heart into their lovely Body. They never filled this shell with content. They left out the F$%$ing CONTENT!!! How sad. How lame. What a damned waste.... of the wastes.

I hated Oblivion with so much passion that I had no energy left to hate Oblivion With Guns with.

And I loved Morrowind.

Note to Bethesda: For ES: V PLEASE hire new writers, voice actors, VO directors, quest designers, facial model designers and for Vivec's sake pay Jeremy Soule for more than 15 minutes of music.

Sounds like anti-Bethesda propaganda to me. ;)
I hope you didn't come to that conclusion without actually playing it.

You know I'll let Beth have it every chance I get :D

I did give Fallout 3 a chance, admittedly only about 6 or 7 hours but that should be more than enough for one to decide whether a game is one's cup of tea or not.

I will say that in my relatively short playtime I did think it was better than Oblivion, but some of the things that really irked me in Oblivion were present in Fallout 3 as well so I just couldn't continue playing it without frustration and boredom eventually setting in.

Back
Top Bottom