InSomnia - On Kickstarter

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Insomnia, which is claimed to be an atmospheric single-player/co-op RPG set in a "living" dieselpunk sandbox with real-time tactical gameplay and which we have reported on before, has launched on Kickstarter.

On a colossal spaceship,a character awakens from cryogenic sleep—unknowingly holding humanity’s last best hope in his bare hands. . . .

InSomnia is a Dieselpunk RPG that transports you to a retro-futuristic space station on a 400- year journey in search of a new home.

Explore the world as a warrior—or hide in the shadows as an outcast. Perhaps you’ll be a charismatic leader—or maybe you’ll become an apex predator with bloodshot eyes and a thrill for the kill. Either way, you will have to muster the strength to survive in order to find out why mankind has embarked on such a risky journey through uncharted space. InSomnia offers an epic, non-linear storyline with many ‘points of no return’ (think of them as forks in the road) and deep, immersive gameplay. The fate of the space station’s many inhabitants will depend on your choices.
Thanks Kordanor and Alexander.

More information.

Nice start on KS, already 7K collected.

Idea is good, graphics looks nice and detailed with the environment art even amazing.
GUI is very good!

But:

No turn based battle system

Animations are too slow and boring

Color palette becomes quickly boring because of brown everywhere then lighter brown then darker brown and shades of rust all over the place.

Steampunk fans are numerous enough however to throw together a measly 70K or 90K. Maybe a successful campaign will do Studio MONO good so he can make a strong steampunk RPG.

I pledged at the 1$ level (for now) to leave a question if combat is real time
with a pause function or pure real time. I hope they answer soon.

I'm wondering that too… It seems like they have overlooked your question.

Color palette becomes quickly boring because of brown everywhere then lighter brown then darker brown and shades of rust all over the place.

I have to agree.

I just can't get excited for this right now due to it's looks and the fact you spend all of your time on a cramped space station. I want open areas to explore...

I don't have problems with the colors, but the combat doesnt really look fun. Backed it anyways and hoping for a pleasant surprise.

So I finally got a reply and will up my pledge:

Hi. First of all, yes, the will be RT&P, as for the rest of your question - well, for starters, it is really different from Diablo - it's way more lethal and the armor is very much real and necessary - without it, a few shots will finish you off really quickly. That kind of lethality emphasises cover, and focus on different equipment - for example, if you only have lightweight weaponry, you'be unable to damage a guy in superheavy armor suit, but, on the other hand, his heavy armro will slow him down and limit his freedom of movement, so you will be able to win if you think tactically, move from cover to cover, and outflank him. A proper choice of equipment and weapons will also help, but bear in mind that you won't be able to carry 3 types of armor and 10 heavy weapons for any kind of situation - you'll have to choose.

and to the question if combat is closer to Baldur's Gate or Diablo:

BG is closer, it will be not completely like NWN, but we inspired first of all by classical RPGs like BG, NWN & Planescape torment

I just can't get excited for this right now due to it's looks and the fact you spend all of your time on a cramped space station. I want open areas to explore…

Well, the ship is huge and there is whole eco-system so hopefully there will be some variety and more open areas. But the game is basically episodic with more content (chapters) coming after release. So it seems that this will be just first chapter of a longer story situated on a ship until the ship lands. I hope this approach wont ruin their KS. They should focus on a story to convince players that there is more to come.

BTW some pictures reminds me heavily of Mars: War Logs which is good sign. :)

I'm not sure I like random quests and such, nor Co-op. But I backed it anyway.

Well, the ship is huge and there is whole eco-system so hopefully there will be some variety and more open areas. But the game is basically episodic with more content (chapters) coming after release. So it seems that this will be just first chapter of a longer story situated on a ship until the ship lands. I hope this approach wont ruin their KS. They should focus on a story to convince players that there is more to come.

BTW some pictures reminds me heavily of Mars: War Logs which is good sign. :)

Yep, it reminded me of Mars: War Logs as well, and that's not really a good thing :(. Lack of color and a dingy overall aesthetic soured me on that game as well.

I hope the ship will have some open areas. I can see myself enjoying it if I'm in the mood for a game like that. It seems like it would be quite atmospheric at the very least.

I'm not sure I like random quests and such, nor Co-op. But I backed it anyway.

I dont like that much as well. They have already enough things to do. They should focus on singleplayer and add co-op later.

Fluent said:
Yep, it reminded me of Mars: War Logs as well, and that's not really a good thing . Lack of color and a dingy overall aesthetic soured me on that game as well.

Well, Mars War Logs was budget title in very limited environment. But it was pretty good flawed game. It has few fans here.
I look forward to Mars 2 next year. :)

I generally like retro-futuristic settings because of the richness of imagination. Also I like the art style of the game. This random quest and sandbox gameplay had me worried some, but I backed it anyway.

To me it looks and sounds decent, and I like the premise. The funding target seems rather low though for what they have planned, and the 20 FREE chapters pledge is iffy.

I think it looks fine. The drab colors fit the setting and random quests and sandbox have always been an appreciated feature for me so the world feels alive and not "cleared". Animation's the weakest point for me but they have time to wok on that.

Well to each his own, but there are plenty of hack & slay games.
No there's not.

I play them now and again and enjoy them, but I'd never give my money to kickstart one.

Having some good combat doesn't mean the rest of the game has to suck, the rest of games have degraded even more than combat in recent years.

No there's not.

Having some good combat doesn't mean the rest of the game has to suck, the rest of games have degraded even more than combat in recent years.

Van Helsing 1 & 2, Grim Dawn, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Dungeon Siege 3, Shadows:Heretic Kingdom, Blood Knights, Jesebel, R.A.W., Krater, Magicka, Sacred 2, Legends of Persia, Din's Curse, Torchlight 2 are just a few of the more recent ones. If you go back a few years you can find more. I think good combat is a matter of preference. Looking at my list though, I do see that almost all Hack & Slay games take place in a fantasy setting. The only ones I remember which haven't were Restricted Area, Greed, and Space Siege, and none of those were especially well done.

Van Helsing 1 & 2, Grim Dawn, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Dungeon Siege 3, Shadows:Heretic Kingdom, Blood Knights, Jesebel, R.A.W., Krater, Magicka, Sacred 2, Legends of Persia, Din's Curse, Torchlight 2 are just a few of the more recent ones. If you go back a few years you can find more. I think good combat is a matter of preference. Looking at my list though, I do see that almost all Hack & Slay games take place in a fantasy setting. The only ones I remember which haven't were Restricted Area, Greed, and Space Siege, and none of those were especially well done.

None of those are turn based RPGs, most of them are not RPGs in any way, shape, or form.

Back
Top Bottom