Fallout 3 - PAX Gameplay Videos

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Gametrailers has five new walkthrough / gameplay videos of Fallout 3, released for PAX and narrated by Todd Howard. Across the five, you'll spend around 20 minutes in-game and experience the early gameplay with leaving the vault, Megaton, wandering some wasteland, combat in Super-Duper Mart and the end sequence of one Megaton path. Obviously, some spoilers apply.
Thanks, r3dshift.
In other FO3 news, GamersGlobal has an interview with Pete Hines:
GamersGlobal: Pete, at E3, Fallout 3 seemed to be rather easy to play by due to the V.A.T.S. mode. By queuing up all those headshots or shots into the legs, I could win nearly all fights very easily. I was playing in normal difficulty, by the way. Is this something you’re going to tweak? Or do you want to have it so easy in the beginning?
Pete Hines: For the most part the stuff that you find in the beginning should be fairly easy for you to deal with. We certainly want it to be you come out of the vault and start fighting and keep dying. So the enemies you face in that part of the world, will that not be that difficult to deal with for someone who just turned level 2. As you go out in the world, you definitely find tougher enemies, folks that are bigger and a tougher challenge.
More information.

Thanks God, it can be played in an almost isometric view. Good.

Thanks God, it can be played in an almost isometric view. Good.

'fraid not.

It'll zoom back in for dialogues and VATS, and as you can tell from the gameplay it will have to nauseatingly swoop around whenever you go behind or below a building. Not to mention that when shooting you'll still be aiming at the cursor point on the screen, i.e. always the middle of the screen.

It can be zoomed out to bird's eye, but it can't be played that way. Bethesda has explained that before.

Last edited:
Actually if you only use vats then it would be simular to fallout 1 & 2 in the view as long as it goes back to the original view after being done with vats and dialogs. Going into vats would be like bringing up the menu where you select the body part you want to shoot in the original games; and showing the character that you are talking to upclose is like the animated heads on the dialog screen in the originals.

Actually if you only use vats then it would be simular to fallout 1 & 2 in the view as long as it goes back to the original view after being done with vats and dialogs. Going into vats would be like bringing up the menu where you select the body part you want to shoot in the original games; and showing the character that you are talking to upclose is like the animated heads on the dialog screen in the originals.

But you can't constantly fight in VATS, unless the pack of enemies is small and will die in 2 or 3 shots. I guess if you're a sniper it might be possible to go in VATS, run away while your action points recharge, re-enter VATS, re-run away, etc.

Fallout 3 plays like a FPS or at most a Tomb Raider like over the shoulder view, period. That's how the current dev teams wants it to be. VATS is a cool feature that makes it better/different than other FPS games. It will never however satisfy people expecting Fallout 3 to play and feel like Fallout 1 & 2 nor was it meant to... except in Pete Hines PR bullshit.

Fallout 3 is a new game, a different game. The only thing it shares with Fallout 1 & 2 is the setting. It shouldn't be called "Fallout 3" imo, and I would have had absolutely no reservations nor complains had it been called "Fallout East Coast" "Fallout Aftermath" or something like that but that's another debate.

Back
Top Bottom