Skyrim - Acceleration Layer Mod

it looks good despite all those points I raised

You didn't explain that in your original post, which was contradictory on face value. I can't read your mind from here to know you thought the art direction is "good", which apparently overrides your list of other complaints.

Which still leaves me perplexed about your point.

And the best part? They completely absolutely get away with terrible and terribly inconsistent textures, poor and terribly inconsistent game models, abysmal animations, crap optimisation (or complete lack thereof), horribly imbalanced game mechanics. That is 10 Million Drones who don't care about any of that stuff as long as they get their purty looking hiking simulator.

Game mechanics aside, why should they care about any of the other stuff if - in your own words - "it looks good"?

I bought this for the PS3. Game runs decently well on the 1.01 patch (no updates) for about 20 hours, but eventually turns into a slide show. Plus, lots of crashes, freezes, and framerate issues the longer you play. Even after 3 patches, the game isn't working any better, and Beth has resorted to lowering texture resolutions and jimmy rigging the game with bandaid fixes.

Not to mention Obsidian came out and plainly discussed why they think the PS3 version of Skyrim will likely always be a faulty product. They claim the Gamebryo engine needs a serious overhaul to solve the issue, which would be timely and cost a lot of money. Thus, I own a broken product.

Unless their next game is using a completely different engine. I simply will not buy it. Plus, there's a few other Devs starting to jump into the sandbox game design. Beth may just become a relic of the past in my book.

Yes that is interesting. I have to say though... those console platforms are just crap. How do you expect to work with those kind of limitations? They couldn't put at least a Gig of shared memory in those things? Sony and Microsoft are part of the problem here.

Sony and Microsoft are part of the problem here.

In a podcast from the beginning of the year Todd Howard mentioned that back when they were struggling to finish Oblivion even as Microsoft kept shifting the goalposts with the new hardware for the 360 (Oblivion was initially intended to be a 360 launch title), some MS execs would meet with them from time to time and listen to their requests for specific features in the hardware.

Microsoft's response: "The only hardware feature that matters is our install base." (paraphrasing this from memory)

That is a good idea. Recently there was an announcement they were working on a new scfi rpg.

Link-http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/24/cd-projekt-working-on-aaa-title-could-be-sci-fi/

Thanks for the link - that was a great read!

Although this bit seemed rather condescending
The Witcher series has shown that the CD Projeky RED has an anatomical view of RPG mechanics, presumably gleamed from their many years pulling American games to bits and reassembling them for Polish audiences

Can I just point out they didn't announce they were working on a new scifi game? They announced a AAA project using a new IP a while back - which we covered, by the way - and PC Gamer made up the bit about scifi based on Bethsoft and BioWare having successful scifi franchises.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Hi all, just dropped by and I'm happy to see nothing has really changed… :)
Although I'm well aware that most people in this thread is likely not really interested in facts I couldn't resist making a comment on this one.

First of all - of course the guys at beth HAS compiled the PC version with the appropriate flags for a release build! How can I know? Well, look at the overall loading speed and performance - anyone who has tried running a debug build of a game will know such performance is not possible without having inlining (and other optimization flags) enabled.

Secondly the modder made it easy for us - he provided the source code for his mod! Although I'm sure all you guys bitching about how this is "junior stuff", "just a matter of enabling O2" etc. has already read through the code (otherwise it would be kind of silly to make comments on other peoples work, wouldn't you agree?) let me explain a few things about it.

You'll see that the mod consists of 3 files: a patch program, a file with a list of code locations to patch up (function call sites) and a file with replacement functions. Most of the replacement functions are "manually inlined" versions of "getter/setter" functions.

A "getter function" is a very small function that simply returns a value. For example, a monster might have a function called "getHP" and that usually would just return a single value, stored in a "member" of the monster "object".

With "inlining" enabled the compiler MIGHT choose to replace a function call in the code with the content of the function being called. This is useful for small functions, because there is a certain CPU overhead involved in calling a function.

There are a number of cases where the compiler CANNOT inline a function though. For example:
- The function code is placed in a .cpp file instead of a .h file (mistake by programmer)
- The function is in another .dll
- The function is a "virtual" function (too technical to explain here)

There are many valid reasons why even a getter function might fall into one of the three categories above - WITHOUT implying that the programmers are amateurs!

Now, back to the mod. You'll see, in the file "code.inc" that one of the code stubs he inserts is "Patches.inline.getter_this_offset_4". This function simply returns the data placed 4 bytes from the start of an object.

To give an example, this might be inserted instead of a call to "getHP" - BUT it then assumes that the value is always found exactly 4 bytes from the start of an object. This is only true as long as the code isn't changed, for example patched by Bethesda. It also assumes, in the case of virtual functions, that this is the case for all implementations.

Such patches CANNOT be done by the compiler, and CANNOT be achieved by simply enabling the O2 compile switch.

Don't get me wrong, it's actually quite impressive (and hacky :) ) work of the modder - but personally I would only run with his patch if I had severe performance problems! A tiny mistake from his side might not result in a crash, but lead to unforseen and obscure bugs much later in the game.

This is also not to say the guys at Beth is entirely without blame. A performance profile might have indicated that the functions in question were hotspots, and a highlevel optimization in the code probably could avoid calling the functions so often.

But again, claiming that they just left out the O2 switch (on purpose even) - that's just plain silly!

Happy new year to you all!

True, no sci-fi project has been announced. From here http://www.gram.pl/news_8AfhGe20_Dw...od_CD_Projekt_RED_Wiedzmin_3_w_2014_roku.html :

"Na moje pytanie, czy CDP RED marzy się własny Mass Effect, [Adam] odpowiedział w następujący sposób: No tak. Mass Effect jest fajny, Dragon Age tej samej firmy, to jest jakby dopełnienie. Czy Skyrim i Fallout Bethesdy. Taki układ pozwala uzupełniać się grom nie tylko sprzedażowo, ale też produkcyjnie."

which means (my hasty translation)

"to my question whether CDP RED dream of their own Mass Effect Adam [the CDP guy] answered the following: Well. Mass Effect is cool, Dragon Age by the same company is something of a complement. Similarly with Bethesda's Skyrim and Fallout. Such a setup allows the games to complement each other not only sales-, but also production-wise."

...and this is one of the reasons many Polish gamers assumed CDP will be doing a sci-fi game.

You didn't explain that in your original post, which was contradictory on face value. I can't read your mind from here to know you thought the art direction is "good", which apparently overrides your list of other complaints.

Which still leaves me perplexed about your point.

Game mechanics aside, why should they care about any of the other stuff if - in your own words - "it looks good"?

Because it looks cheap. Art direction is a capricious matter. All Bethesda games have always had an odd mix of "next-gen" professional looking assets with that of 10-years-old looking cheap stuff. I look at a table in Skyrim and I feel like I have an optical problem until my sight focuses on the objects standing on the table, with sharp and tastefully done high quality textures. None the less, art direction applies to both assets, in that, both high and low quality stuff are in a way harmonious. But it still looks cheap and not befitting a multi-million $ company producing and publishing AAA games.

When any other game without that much press attention and "game journalists" (lol) throwing themselves at the feet of Bethesda, has a fraction of such problems, it gets trashed like an alcoholic drug addict beating down his 5 year old kid.

The same kind of applies in reverse too, regarding games with ultra-high graphical expectations. Take Rage. A lot of people and gaming sites bitched about Rage shipping with some very low-res textures that looked out of place next to high-res stuff, all of which don't even amount to a fraction of the inconsistency you can find and expect from a Bethesda game.

First of all - of course the guys at beth HAS compiled the PC version with the appropriate flags for a release build! How can I know? Well, look at the overall loading speed and performance - anyone who has tried running a debug build of a game will know such performance is not possible without having inlining (and other optimization flags) enabled.

With "inlining" enabled the compiler MIGHT choose to replace a function call in the code with the content of the function being called. This is useful for small functions, because there is a certain CPU overhead involved in calling a function.

There are a number of cases where the compiler CANNOT inline a function though. For example:
- The function code is placed in a .cpp file instead of a .h file (mistake by programmer)
- The function is in another .dll
- The function is a "virtual" function (too technical to explain here)

There are many valid reasons why even a getter function might fall into one of the three categories above - WITHOUT implying that the programmers are amateurs!

Now, back to the mod. You'll see, in the file "code.inc" that one of the code stubs he inserts is "Patches.inline.getter_this_offset_4". This function simply returns the data placed 4 bytes from the start of an object.

To give an example, this might be inserted instead of a call to "getHP" - BUT it then assumes that the value is always found exactly 4 bytes from the start of an object. This is only true as long as the code isn't changed, for example patched by Bethesda. It also assumes, in the case of virtual functions, that this is the case for all implementations.

Such patches CANNOT be done by the compiler, and CANNOT be achieved by simply enabling the O2 compile switch.

Don't get me wrong, it's actually quite impressive (and hacky :) ) work of the modder - but personally I would only run with his patch if I had severe performance problems! A tiny mistake from his side might not result in a crash, but lead to unforseen and obscure bugs much later in the game.

This is also not to say the guys at Beth is entirely without blame. A performance profile might have indicated that the functions in question were hotspots, and a highlevel optimization in the code probably could avoid calling the functions so often.

But again, claiming that they just left out the O2 switch (on purpose even) - that's just plain silly!

Happy new year to you all!

I certainly didn't say they compiled in Debug mode - but Release mode does not mean all reasonable optimizations have been applied. It takes time to optimize, especially globally. So you have to explicitly request that with your release build. Maybe there was a reason they could not apply any optimization - but that suggests the engine code is flaky. They certainly made a fuss about enhancing the engine, so presumably they have the source and could modify large tracts of it to be better designed, if they so wished (time, money, expertise etc permitting.

Your points about inlining failing are well taken - but even there, a virtual function may end up being "inlinable" (a base class member, for example). Smart compilers will be able to inline this if you suggest they do so via an inline 'hint'. The fact that the modders were able to use their simple offset hack and get it working almost all the time (despite the huge number of accessor function calls in the game loop ) suggests that the use of virtual functions did not render inlining useless.

As for SSE/FPU optimizations etc - I can only say that I have in the past noticed a significant perf difference on FPU when turning these features on and off. Of course, the compiler makes a big difference here - Intel compilers gave the best perf, but they are pricey.

The bottom line - as you then point out - is that some concerted profiling would have shown this up and I'm pretty sure they could have tweaked performance significantly. However, they may well believe that this is not their job - and that may well be the case.

Did you even read your own link? It might well be a scifi game but they didn't announce that - it's mere speculation. No big deal - I'm just suggesting we be more accurate.

Good I agree but there are many sites with the information so excuse me for believing them instead of someone on this site cause they say so.:p

Because it looks cheap. Art direction is a capricious matter. All Bethesda games have always had an odd mix of "next-gen" professional looking assets with that of 10-years-old looking cheap stuff. I look at a table in Skyrim and I feel like I have an optical problem until my sight focuses on the objects standing on the table, with sharp and tastefully done high quality textures. None the less, art direction applies to both assets, in that, both high and low quality stuff are in a way harmonious. But it still looks cheap and not befitting a multi-million $ company producing and publishing AAA games.

When any other game without that much press attention and "game journalists" (lol) throwing themselves at the feet of Bethesda, has a fraction of such problems, it gets trashed like an alcoholic drug addict beating down his 5 year old kid.

The same kind of applies in reverse too, regarding games with ultra-high graphical expectations. Take Rage. A lot of people and gaming sites bitched about Rage shipping with some very low-res textures that looked out of place next to high-res stuff, all of which don't even amount to a fraction of the inconsistency you can find and expect from a Bethesda game.

So, which game out there looks perfect in your eyes? or are there none?

EDIT: I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth after reading through the rest of the thread, Villian you seem to be out for attention more then anything...you even went so far as to say that bethesda programmers have no idea what they are doing...a company that big can afford to hire who they want, I'm sure they look for programmers who know what they are doing. I'm inclined to go with that then some random poster on the net.

Please tell me a cleanup is comming here....just because rpgcodex went down doesn't mean this should become the neqw version.

@rune_74 I just put the worst offenders on ignore. It's easier than wading through the trash. Many codexers reside there and I think they're happy, so you might want to give it a try :)

So, which game out there looks perfect in your eyes? or are there none?

EDIT: I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth after reading through the rest of the thread, Villian you seem to be out for attention more then anything…you even went so far as to say that bethesda programmers have no idea what they are doing…a company that big can afford to hire who they want, I'm sure they look for programmers who know what they are doing. I'm inclined to go with that then some random poster on the net.

Please tell me a cleanup is comming here….just because rpgcodex went down doesn't mean this should become the neqw version.

Why is it important which game out there looks perfect in my eyes? Why are you so insecure that you just have to attack instead of reply to me on the basis of my arguments? I'm talking objective facts. Like seeing textures of 512x512 resolution stretched all over the place right next to textures of 2048x2048 resolution, creating the most jarring views in the game and yet, here you are wondering what game I think looks perfect which is utterly irrelevant. One personal attack after another.

And how fitting that you would like to have your own personal Final Solution to the Codexian problem when you can't show the maturity to discuss anything.

As for Bethesda and their programmers. Well, I'll let third party mods for the game do the talking and that's just one among a bunch of others. You know something just isn't right, CANNOT be right when people completely dissociated with Bethesda and don't even have access to the game's source code can come up with fixes that can improve performance drastically and fix a myriad of other issues better and faster than the almighty Bethesda themselves. See, there are these mods and hundreds of thousands of people who use them and neither of them gives a damn about whether you put any stock in Bethesda's capabilities over a "random poster on the internet". It's more likely that they would be laughing their bottoms off of you but go ahead, believe what you will. If blind faith makes you feel better, more power to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom