What games are you playing now?

i think that old rpg games (eighties and first half of the nineties) can be enjoyed only by people who played games back then... to me graphics is totally unimportant (i can play first legacy of kain game just like the last), i think that the gameplay and story are much more important parts of the game, yet i still can't play these rpg-s... i recently tried wasteland... no way i could play it... not just because of the graphics, but also because of it's gameplay... what really distracts me from playing is old and unconvenient interface... games are meant to be fun, not torment... and speaking of torment, planescape looks beautiful to me (and i love the map... it's so much better than in kotor and similar games)

btw i began to play games in the beginning of this millenium and i can play anything from 1995 and newer... the only exception to this are adventures...

BaK with Dosbox

Vogons Zetafleet

There's a file called DRIVE.CFG in the game directory, which contain two drive letters. Try to change them both to point to the drive you have the game installed on. For example, if you have the game installed on drive D, change them both to D. By default they are C and E.

Thanks. I might try it.

Since I STILL use Windows98SE :D ;) , I thought that it would be possible to get it run without DOSBOX, and that's what I'll try prior to using it.

But thanks anyway. :)

I totally agree, heck even System Shock 1 is still a blast to play. Also, do you mean Arcanum?

Skavenhorde is talking about the Realms of Arkania games (it's a trilogy). They are set in the world of the German RPG, The Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge - not sure about spelling).

They are amazingly detailed RPGs. You must manage food consumption, wear the proper clothing for the weather or you will get sick, hunt for food when resting, etc. Truly classic games.

Read about them HERE

They are set in the world of the German RPG, The Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge - not sure about spelling).

Yeah, right. Spelling is correct.

The trilogy - known among fans as the "Nordlandtrilogie" - is built upon the second or third edition of the role playing game system "Das Schwarze Auge".

Info about the current edition (the 4th) can be found here : www.thedarkeyerpg.com
The site contains a *very* big and detailed map the official German-languge site has not !
Look here : http://www.thedarkeyerpg.com/images/AventuriaMap.jpg
Beware, it is really big !

Look out on the map for the "Salamander stones", the area left of them is where part two of the game takes place, high in the mid-north of the map.
Part one takes place in the far left coastal area of this, and part three takes place in Riva, a town high over the capital S of the "Salamanderstones", located at the coast at the Gulf of Riva (you must zoom quite much into the map to be able to actually read it).

By the way : Discussion on the current state of The Dark Eye English language edition.

Last edited:
Nearing the end of Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus. I have been forced to replay most of it due to a bad walkthrough, very annoying. I just want to get it over with really, im only playing it for the story and it's definitely not my type of genré.

i've finished planescape... great game... because of the lack of quality rpg-s on the market these days i started playing jade empire... so far it's so-so... basically it's an action-rpg, very linear, dialogues get boring now and then... but still it's ok. it's really great to take a break from classic fantasy settings... and the story seems
good too. i just think it's way too easy.

Nonsense, It only takes a short while to adjust and then the magic of Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale takes full effect. I just replayed BG1 about a year ago and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time I played it. I'm looking forward to playing BG2 and Planescape again in the near future if I can find the time.

tell that to my eyes. in fact I tried replaying BG2 several times and I couldn't. BG had no "magic" for me..it was a pain. IWD on the other hand...

And planescape..it lost its fun after I left the intro. it just gets bogged down.

*fires up Llegacy of Llyllygamyn*

I'm just starting Dark Messiah. I had a blast with the demo, now it's time to get down to business! :)

I think you'll have a lot of fun with it, just make sure you have the latest patch installed. I hope you have a strong pc as well.;)

Tried Evil Islands last night and was - apart from the non-optimal camera handling - relatively impressed.
This is actually the very first game witrh actively adressing body zones in combat (apart from Incubation maybe, but I haven't played that game in ages).

I also dug out the game "Star Wars - The Gungan Frontier", which is a game to build up an ecosystem on one water moon of Naboo.
Today I found out that I would have to pay almost 30 Euro ( !!! ) for the official strategy guide that I would get in the U.S. for around 5-7 Dollars ( ! ).

I think you'll have a lot of fun with it, just make sure you have the latest patch installed. I hope you have a strong pc as well.;)
Gotcha, latest patch. :thumbsup:

As a matter of fact I just upgraded my very dated computer less than two months ago. I moved to a 2.4GHz Core 2 6600, 2 GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon X1950 card -- my first upgrade in 3 years.

@Alrik -- I so loved Evil Islands, The acting was kinda goofy but that was ok -- most games back then were that way.

Last edited:
I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
The voice acting is quite good imho - that makes the game way more positive, imho. :)

Another very positive example of that is Return to Krondor to me: From a graphical point of view, the game was less than mediocre, but the voice acting pulled the game into much higher regions (in my personal rating) that i would've dared to give this game just judging from the graphics !

Well I'm fairly well into G2:Night of the Raven. I think this spin through I'm going to try the Mage route, if I can survive that long;) The spell of the Gothic world is every bit as strong--the interactivity with the world, the feeling that the npcs actually have an organic place in the game, the definitely non-hand-holding combat!! What a gem of an rpg.

I think the aspect that I like the most is the character control--no interface, quick bar or easy way to glug down the red sauce--and the need to actually place yourself properly in combat, not walk over cliffs, etc, adds some realism to the experience. I actually feel it's me being athletic when my guy jumps up on a stump or clambers up some crates--even if it's only my keyboarding skills that are actually being flexed...:)..and the combat, while certainly challenging, is also pretty intuitive. I look forward to many more 'close encounters of the bloodfly kind' :)

Well I just fired up Knight of Diamonds.

The version I'm playing is the optimized Wizardry Collection version (circa 1998?) and uses the Full Screen wire frames that they started with Wiz 4. I preferred the screen to be in the top left corner with my stats taking the rest of the screen. It feels more like PnP that way.

In order to play a fresh game I had to use the prerolled characters or find a way to create new ones.

Well KoD can't create characters as really it was an expansion when they didn't know what to call it. If I remember right it was a marketing disaster and Sir-Tech quickly slapped a number of pre-generated characters on the game and made the game work without the first one on subsequent releases.

So, hating anyone else's characters I created a few in Wiz I then moved them and proceeded to the Dungeon...

Only to come up against a bunch of level 6's and get thoroughly squashed.

Perhaps we need Bethsoft to go over this game.

Interesting sidenote: I believe Wizardry is the first RPG (CRPG or PnP) to introduce Prestige Classes. Some of the classes, like the Ninja, are not something you can create on first roll. In that case all the stats have to be 17.

I could be wrong but I can't think of anything earlier. Wiz was first released in 1981.

If you don't like wireframes there was a beautiful Japanese version of the Wizardry Trilogy (Llylagamyn Series) for the Super Nintendo and a project to translate it to English. The last update was in 2000.

*goes to update wikipedia*

Last edited:
@Alrik -- I so loved Evil Islands, The acting was kinda goofy but that was ok -- most games back then were that way.

wait a second... you've got english voice acting? 'cause somehow i've played a version with german voices and english subtitles...

how come i've got german voice acting? bah, i don't mind, i don't even like the game.

I've got German voiceacting, too.

Inside of me as well. :D

Started Final Fantasy VIII... This might take some time to get into. The Junction / GF system is not simple to learn. 8(

Back
Top Bottom