Daggerfall - DaggerXL v0.15 Release

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We haven't mentioned this project before but DaggerXL - a Daggerfall engine recreation to allow Bethsoft's classic to run on modern hardware - has reached a v0.15 release. Here's their description, by way of introduction:
This website is for the project DaggerXL – A Modern Daggerfall Engine Recreation for current Operating Systems and hardware – essentially it is a remake in the spirit of a port. It will ultimately fully emulate the game of Daggerfall and then optionally enhance it by refining existing features and adding new gameplay elements that were originally intended. The game will make use of hardware acceleration providing higher resolutions, color depth, greatly improved visibility, better texture filtering, enhanced performance and more.
DaggerXL is be just an engine, you need the original game data to play. I will not distribute any Daggerfall assets or knowingly provide information on obtaining free copies of the game – other then the version provided by Bethesda themselves. This is a legal project, I do not intent to step on Bethesda’s toes or violate their copyrights.
A bit about v0.15. Still a long way to go:
Version 0.15 has been released, which is basically a bug-fix release. The fast travel UI is slightly better, you’ll no longer “randomly” teleport to a location when clicking on a region – this was caused by holding down the mouse button while the mouse happened to be over a location. You now start at the edge of a location, looking in, rather than at a seemingly random location (which could be inside a building). If you travel between regions, models will always have their textures swapped to the correct region corrected textures, even if it was loaded previously. Some missing textures will be displayed now, which caused some really weird results in some locations. Some block record errors have been fixed, so the missing tiles (such as Wayrest) will now show up, in addition there would be some incorrect tiles on occasion which are also fixed.
Thanks, Toni (and zzajin and Dark Savant for raising this on our forums).
More information.

I still have nightmares of falling thru the stair graphics in that game.

So…how much is actually playable so far?

The screenshots and video at the bottom of the page make it look pretty decent. This would actually be very nice to play Daggerfall through with once it's finished. From what I've seen posted, there's a *lot* that needs to be done still, though. Not all the UI stuff is finished.

So…how much is actually playable so far?

Gameplay is not implemented yet according to the newspost. So its just the renderer for now, you can walk around in the world, etc. Would be nice if it finishes. I have seen so many DF revival projects bite the dust over time...

It looks quite nice in the pics....very playable in the graphics department.

I tried one of the earlier demos, and I was very impressed. I would actually attempt a playthough if this project is completed.

This will be incredible if he actually finishes. It's a monumental task though, and it sounds like this is 1 person working alone.

Version 0.16 has now been released.

Wow, I'm very excited about this and his other project DarkXL. Even his long term 3rd project sounds really good. I hope he can pull it all off!

Good. Hopefully that means he will finally finish up his DarkXL project that is more interesting to me I say.

http://darkxl.wordpress.com

Both projects have me really excited!

Although DarkXL is a pretty big deal. Dark Forces really captured the feeling of SW for me better than any other game I've played. While it's probably not my favorite SW game (hard to say what is, I loved KotOR (with lots of reservations) and the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games), it just had such a wonderful feel to it.

I hope he has enough steam not only to finish those two but also to start his original project which sounds really intriguing as well.

Back
Top Bottom