Rampant Games - The Indie RPGs of 2014

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Rampant Coyote posted two more updates on site today with a list of over 75 indie RPG games that were released in 2014. Lets start with the first post.
Now that 2014 has officially come to a close, I thought I’d take a very brief look at many the indie role-playing games that were released this year for the PC. I’ve given up all hope of this being an exhaustive list, so please feel free to chime in with other titles that were released during 2014. As it is, we have more than 50, and that was without delving too deeply into the ranks of the most amateur releases.

Trying to list the indie role-playing games released in any year nowadays is a pretty complicated thing, and not only because trying to track down the games themselves can be exhausting and difficult. But pretty much every aspect of the subject raises more questions. What constitutes “indie?” What really counts as an RPG? What does “released” even mean anymore, in days of early access, multiple release dates across multiple distribution channels?
Dont forget to read the second part of the list also.
Do I have a favorite indie RPG of 2014? Honestly, I haven’t been able to play these games enough to really make an informed decision, but Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 are definitely on my short list. I feel a little bad about this, because I worry about these big-budget indie titles crowding out the smaller, lower-budget titles. But the people behind these games have clearly had as much passion and personal investment in their titles as any other indie, and I have to give credit where credit is due. Do the higher production values give these titles the edge over someone’s earnest 8-bit-style roguelike? Yeah, but (for me) it’s not that tremendous of an advantage. Maybe I’m just too much of a jaded retrogamer.
More information.

And I thought that I have played most of the indies... great list.

Anyone tried:

GhostControl Inc. (Bumblebee Software) – I covered this in some detail my October “Halloween Games” feature. Basically, build up a ghost elimination team and business in London.

It sounds like fun, the old ghost-buster games for C64 were a lot of fun.

That game does sound cool, GG. But where do you guys find the time to play so many games? o_O

Haha, I don't have time for it either, it is all about prioritization I guess, that's why I asked if anyone has played it :D if it is really good it might move higher up the list.

That game does sound cool, GG. But where do you guys find the time to play so many games? o_O
I'll speak for myself.
I don't play so many games. It maybe looks that way, but it is not so.
How is that so? I'm skipping garbage. And it's not easy to do it, I'm not immune on hype. Partially. I did join Watch Dogs hypetrain to discover later that apart from fancy graphics the game is dull. Why I joined in the first place? Because FarCry3 was too good to be true.
On the other hand I didn't join Destiny hype train because it "felt" something is wrong there. By the looks of it, seems I got it right. In the end it was just another dull grinder.

What hurts my time for games more is when I find out that a game that highly impressed someone else in fact is unbelievably bad. So bad I wouldn't recommend it even to my worst enemy.

I did (try to) play many games when I went to see what knid of games are available on phones. And you know how it ended - from hundreds of titles I found just two worth buying (and time).

To me it's quality that matters, not quantity. Always was.

Back
Top Bottom