Ember - Review @ CGMagazine

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
CGMagazine has reviewed the RPG Ember:

Ember (PC) Review

In the distant past, a time called 1999, my family came into possession of our first computer. My parents were positive this would be a valuable tool that would drastically improve my schoolwork. I however, knew the truth. What followed was a period of sloth and gaming that was never present in my life largely due to games like Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Diablo. Those were good times. Ember, N-Fusion Interactive’s recent RPG, certainly brings back those memories. CRPGs, like those are experiencing a revival of sorts. Between new entries into the genre like the Shadowrun games and Pillars of Eternity, along with mobile ports of Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate, it is a great time for fans of sprawling worlds and deep stories. These games offer enthralling, engaging plots and complex layered systems, and that’s what’s great about them. While Ember succeeds in emulating the look and story of this style of game, no one can call the mechanic complex in the slightest.

[...]

Ember offers a fun RPG experience from a rising indie developer reminiscent of classical games of the genre. Technical flaws and over-simplified mechanics mar an otherwise quality experience.

Score: 6.5/10
More information.

It's a fair review. I think being simple but well executed is less of a sin than the review makes it, it's a really elegant RPG system and perfect for new players. It does suffer from a few bugs and some odd design elements. In the short term, bugs, spell targeting, inventory management etc could be patched. Long term for the next game, move to a more complex skill system, ditching the item attached skills. That said, you can change them if you find the right vendor.

I think it is a fair reviews; I think some of the simpliification (like enemies auto healing while in battle if they move too far from spawn area) are absolutely awful. Pity given the world/layout they built (while not the best is not awful) they kill the experience with their system/mechanics/gameplay.

I'm still playing this sporadically. I'm close to the end now, and yeah.. 6.5 is probably about what I would rate it too. It's not bad, but it's very simplistic for anyone who's used to party-based RPGs.

I've invested 27 hours according to Steam, and I'm not sure if it was worth it considering how many better games I could have been playing.

I've invested 27 hours according to Steam, and I'm not sure if it was worth it considering how many better games I could have been playing.

This is exactly the way I felt and why I stopped after a few hours and moved on to other things.

This is exactly the way I felt and why I stopped after a few hours and moved on to other things.

In hindsight, I should have done the same. I'll finish it now though since I'm close to the end.

I won't be playing the sequel unless the combat mechanics are expanded upon and they allow for more than 3 characters in the party.

It's a nice game. Art Style, atmosphere and underlying story are all well made.

But yes, the over-simplified game mechanics will drive away almost all "real" RPG players. I hope they will go for deeper systems next time (flanking, back-stabbing, more meaningful skills, etc.). The dev definitely showed potential here.

Its a very charming game in many ways, I like the atmosphere, tone, and crafting system. Its too bad the character building is so simple and the combat pretty bland. I've put in 12 hours so far. Since its supposed to be pretty short I'll probably finish it.

So the thread here kind of highlights what I view as an issue. An RPG focused group finds this game "simple" and is sympathetic with a low scored review as a result. Think it should be considered in the context of a ten dollar beginner focused game. Making it more complex would not make it a better game, it would make it a different game targeting a more "core" audience. Within the context of targeting a light RPG consumer this game is a few bugs away from aces. It could be patched and tweaked, but turning into something complex would ruin it's main appeal, that is approachability for novices.

The tone of the replies so far make it as if complexity is an objective measure of quality. This game is simple, but very well done and put together. Perfect RPG gateway drug. IMHO.

So the thread here kind of highlights what I view as an issue. An RPG focused group finds this game "simple" and is sympathetic with a low scored review as a result. Think it should be considered in the context of a ten dollar beginner focused game. Making it more complex would not make it a better game, it would make it a different game targeting a more "core" audience. Within the context of targeting a light RPG consumer this game is a few bugs away from aces. It could be patched and tweaked, but turning into something complex would ruin it's main appeal, that is approachability for novices.

The tone of the replies so far make it as if complexity is an objective measure of quality. This game is simple, but very well done and put together. Perfect RPG gateway drug. IMHO.

It's not just that it's simplistic compared to other party-based RPGs. The combat isn't very good, simple or not. The AI and pathfinding have major issues which cause a lot of frustration at times.

Also, where do you get that Ember was supposed to target novices? The description on Steam reads as follows:

Ember is a homage to classic role-playing games (RPG) that features a deep branching story, endless exploration across dynamic and living environments, a robust skill tree, and an intricate crafting system.

I don't see anything there that makes it look like they were targeting the RPG-lite crowd. I do see a great deal of exaggeration on their part though. There is no robust skill tree, the crafting system is far from intricate, and I've seen no branches in the story despite being nearly finished with the game.

Ya I guess targeting novice was my own assumption. I went from observing that it could make a good intro RPG into it was designed to, which was a leap.

I agree about it being a good RPG for newer fans of the genre.

They have a solid foundation to build on. A sequel could be really good if they address those issues.

I enjoyed it more than most, but it is a very simplistic game.

Isn't this same reason everyone complained about SW Legends?

Isn't this same reason everyone complained about SW Legends?
Not the reason I complained. Refused to buy Sword Coast L because of it being MMO.

I haven't played Sword Coast L, but Ember is, apart from its simple mechanics, really a charming game. There is humor, a light atmosphere which reminded me a lot of the original Divine Divinity and Might and Magic games, and the exploration is done well. Quests are few, but at least not as forgettable as in some games chocked so full of them. Can the same things be said about Sword Coast Legends?

Back
Top Bottom