Risen 3: Titan Lords - Finally Announced

Finally! Can't wait for more info, screenshots and so on. I assume we'll get more than just screenshots on the 25th, so I'll be looking forward to that.

I played and finished first two Risen games like I did for all PB games. Risen 1 was a superb RPG which uses the Gothic 1 and 2 formula. But many people bashed it for not adding something new. Risen 2 was a mediocre game that much uses console game formula. So I prefer 1 over 2 in every aspect.

I still haven't played Risen 2. The whole pirate thing is so played out and just doesn't interest me.
OK, hordes of zombies then! ;)

I also haven't played Risen 2. Risen 1 started out excellent, then went down to "pretty good" when you went into the mountain, then went down to "kinda dumb" when I suddenly had to dress my mage (who had just gotten the top tier spell) in huge, thick armor, then fell fully into dumb for the final battle. Then I read people saying Risen 2 isn't as good as Risen 1. Yeah, I think I'll find something else.

I played and finished first two Risen games like I did for all PB games. Risen 1 was a superb RPG which uses the Gothic 1 and 2 formula. But many people bashed it for not adding something new. Risen 2 was a mediocre game that much uses console game formula. So I prefer 1 over 2 in every aspect.

I agree completely. One thing Risen 1 did add though, was a superb combat system. The system in Risen 2 was a massive disappointment by comparison. I really hope they base Risen 3's combat on the system from the first game.

They also added some light dungeon crawling and puzzle elements, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that. :)

Kay

That's good news, hope for another Gothic-level great game, but after playing Risen 1 and 2, I'll wait for the reviews. Wait, DLC? Scratch that, I'll wait for the reviews and the inevitable complete edition a year later.

Why ruin the experience with DLC? I too will wait for the complete edition at a much lower cost before buying.

I think it is not realistic to expect any output from PB to match or improve on their previous iterations since they don't have the same team nor budget to do so. I hope to be proven wrong though!

"The soul of the main char will be eaten by a shadow lord in the beginning (maybe explaining his skill loss) "

That is super stupid. Also bad features from Risen 2 being back are further bad news. :(

I am happy to see swimming back - I have never understood how any open world RPG could NOT have swimming… but many do not. Maybe they'll even have the ability to dive underwater and explore? Likely that's pushing it though.

I'm not so happy hearing that the game world will be a bunch of separate areas. I don't mind a few separate areas but I much prefer to explore one large contiguous landmass.

Lastly, I'm hoping voodoo magic will get dropped in favor of magic from Risen 1 or better yet, from G2.

I don't get the negative reactions over the DLC comment. I think it's obvious that they're simply saying they want to provide DLC with more meaningful content this time. It's not going to be a necessity.

Lastly, I'm hoping voodoo magic will get dropped in favor of magic from Risen 1 or better yet, from G2.

It sounds like they might have both. (Voodoo + other magic)

…and +1 for the swimming. :)

I think you're reading in way too much into "DLC’s will bring more content". That could be a horse armor, for all we know ;)

I think the "DLC? Fuck, I'm not buying it now!" people are reading too much into it. :)

Only thing I've heard so far that concerns me a little is the announcement of a new hero. Why change the protagonist now?

Either that or people just havent been impressed with their DLC's for Risen so far ;) But yes, it shouldnt be why you decide to buy it or not imo..

Yes it's a bit odd to change the protagonist, can't say i care too much about it though.

I think the "DLC? Fuck, I'm not buying it now!" people are reading too much into it. :)
What people?
Only one person.
Me.

You know very well how stuborn I can be about things that IMO are negative, inexcusable and untolerable in today's gaming industry. Mainstream audience and journalists seem not caring for them.

And when I say you base your business on DLC? no buy!, that means exactly that. I will not support any dev studio with such strategy, no matter how much I like their previous work.

If I wanted to have such games on my PC I'd preorder Sims 4 ages ago. But I won't say look I won't buy Sims 4 because of DLC overspam incoming, but will buy Risen 3 although it's already known it'll sell separate DLC just because it's PB game. No.
I don't want it, I don't want to pay for it, and as I've said, there are plenty of fair products out there to spend the money on. There are games that don't have or sell DLC at all, there are games that give away their DLC for free, there are games that sell standalone DLC not connected to the base game.

And after buying bloody and overexpensive bioware points the other day, I'm done with buying cut out content sold separately.

If i really like a game i couldnt care less if that company makes a little more money on DLC's. Good for them if so, as long as the initial game is good.

Sims doesnt have DLC's, they're expansions, most of them with a rather long development (6 months - 1 year), as i've understood it. If they can sell them it means there's a demand, pretty simple stuff.

I do question DLC's when for example something has been there from the start and then removed to make money of it as a DLC, that's just disgraceful.. looking at you Activision/ Creative Assembly >:O

If it's DLC like Night of the Raven, you can count me IN.

Good to see some people here finally speaking up about their appreciation of Risen 2, I was starting to think I was the only one. I understand why some don't like it, but I quite enjoyed it.

Somebody said pirate theme played out? In videogames? RPGs? I don't see it.

I also don't see why voodoo is a complaint because it's not "proper" magic. So it's a different label, with the same results. I liked the voodoo spells in Risen 2, especially where you could make the monsters fight each other. I used that to great effect.

Looking forward to what they come up with for Risen 3.

Swimming is good news, but climbing that would be great. I still remember what a good integration of climbing into the exploration of the world Gothic 1 had.

About the game, I don't expect much, but I hope to be surprised. For me Risen 1 was quite average, and specially linear and boring in the final part. I didn't play Risen 2 but for all I've read it wasn't even up to the first one. I hope they can use better all the ingredients and hopefully cook something more in the line of the first Gothic than previous Risen games.

I agree completely. One thing Risen 1 did add though, was a superb combat system. The system in Risen 2 was a massive disappointment by comparison. I really hope they base Risen 3's combat on the system from the first game.

They also added some light dungeon crawling and puzzle elements, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that. :)

Kay

I also agree with you about the combat system of Risen 1. It's tactical and realistic which reminded me Blade of Darkness back then. Combat system of Risen 2 was way too inferior to Risen 1, one of the aspects they didn't need to change in the second installment. Actually combat of R2 was so bad that they implement dodging with a patch that came out a few days after the release.

To PB: Just bring back Risen 1 with much better graphics and with a better game ending design, I don't want more.

Back to its darker roots indeed and welcome back.

This is Gothic++.

Horray!

I thought it was not possible to do even darker RPGs nowadays ?

I tend more and more to believe that the end result in 10 or so years will be called the "Gothic RPG genre" or "heavy metal role-playing games".
I tend to believe that Heavy Metal and RPGs more and more fuse. Not musically, but everything else, the look, for example.

Back
Top Bottom