CVG - 101 Best PC Games Ever

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Yes, another "Best" list. CVG has a four-part 101 Best PC Games Ever feature, with the first three bits currently online. Part 1 covers positions 101 to 76 and includes Nethack. Part 2 goes from 75 to 51 with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Planescape: Torment, NWN and Thief and Part 3 gets to position 26 covering titles such as Ultima VII: The Black Gate and Vampire: Bloodlines.
Is Bloodlines better than Torment?
More information.

Yes and no.

When you get down to it Bloodlines clearly has a wider range of skills with which you can solve problems, different character 'classes' that influence development and several endings. On the other hand, Torment clearly has the best story and story telling, along with more memorable characters and a more complex way of defining morality.

A common problem with these listings is that you hardly ever get any kind of comparison or analysis; games are just plumped into some position and the typical mindless cattle just gobbles down these ranks as holy gospel. It's made for people with short attention spans and to draw in new people to forums so they can disagree with the listing, ultimately achieving nothing.

I'm not sure I agree. Bloodlines has a wider range of skills that directly impact the gameplay but Torment has quite an impressive number of dialogue choices and dialogue affected by character stats.

But yes, these lists achieve nothing.

Bloodlines's horrible bugginess makes it questionable on that list. Torment was still a better game, even without Bloodlines's bugs.

I'm not sure I agree. Bloodlines has a wider range of skills that directly impact the gameplay but Torment has quite an impressive number of dialogue choices and dialogue affected by character stats.

True, and this is why I mentioned story telling - the possibilities in dialogue are enormous and there is a good number of ways to solve situations through those interactions but Bloodlines' strikes a greater sense of character diversity in me. Dialogue options are great but sometimes you just feel like having an active hand in other situations - and to me Bloodlines clearly outmatches Torment in that regard.

You'll get no argument from me on that. I think that Neverwinter Nights was a grotesquely overrated game.

Best games ever is a pretty big statement. I'm curious whether in their 'list' Pool of Radiance (first one) is going to make this list of top 25. Also Temple of Elemental Evil was nowhere to be seen. I know that won't make the top 25 but it should of been in their somewhere, even with the bugs or arcanum, wastleland, fallout, betrayal at krondor, Return to Krondor, Bards Tale, Albion, Wizardry, Dues Ex, System Shock 2, Ultima and I could name a few dozen more. Maybe some of these will make the top 25, but the majority of the rest of the top 25 will be the main stream mindless junk that the majority of the masses seem to love.

I really don't pay too much attention to those top 100 list. They really mean absolutely nothing as they are simply the opinion of that particular group of people.

I like the way they compiled the list (heated discussions, office arguments, late-night drunken text messages and email abuse). Sounds about right. They didn't describe their criteria, so I guess they couldn't agree on one.

The most addicting game of all time has got to be Doom. You couldn't put it down. So many people were playing it at work that corporate networks all over the US became bogged down. No joke -- it became a serious problem for some companies.

I would consider a game like Civilization 2 the best. It's well thought out, challenging, fun and very well made. I've played it two or three hundred times and still prefer it over Civilizations 3 and 4.

heh what about quake 1? I still remember lack of social life from the autumn of 97 to the autumn of 98..well nearly everyone of my closest friends was playing it, so it wasn't an issue :D Thank god there hasn't been such an addictive game since quake 1 :p Heh one of the reasons why i couldn't stop playing must be, because it felt so revolutionary. I don't think any game can surpass same addiction level :)

Farcry and Wing Commander IV rated above X-com and Ultima 7........what the F%#K are they smoking.

edit: You can tell you have been playing too many computer games when you have actually played nearly every single game on that list.....

Time for the top 100 top 100 lists list.

:rolleyes:

'Better'? No. But if I someone put both in front of me and said 'which do you want to play' I'd choose Bloodlines 9 times out of 10. Torment is on my list of 'greatest' games, Bloodlines is high on my list of 'favorite' games.

I'd put more stock in this countdown to geeky glory if Warcraft III wasnt #39!

One of the canon of legendary RTS titles of all time. There's a reason it's still 30 bucks on the shelf, no expansion, after 5 years!. It should certainly be beating out "Mafia", for pete's sake, that thing practically hit jewel case 6 months after release

After being a huge fan of Warcraft's 1&2, I was actually disappointed by Warcraft 3. I felt they took a step backwards with the low unit limit. Also, the graphics were already dated by the time it was released.

No bloody way!

Even though I love both, PS:T is just so outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom