Fallout 4 - Bethesda got help from id Software @ VG24/7

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Fallout 4 may be a better Shooter than Fallout 3, because Bethesda called for help:

Bethesda called in id to help with Fallout 4’s gunplay

Fallout 4 combat is more like a modern FPS than previous games, and partial credit must be laid at the feet of Bethesda stablemate id Software.

In a new Fallout 4 video, director Todd Howard acknowledged Bethesda’s ambition to deliver better gunplay with this latest journey into the wasteland.

“I won’t say anything bad about Fallout 3, but we wanted this not to make any excuses for the fact that it’s a role-playing game, for how the action felt,” he said.

“Because we feel we can layer all the role playing and stats on top. Let’s have our cake and our ice cream.”

Bethesda’s background is in fantasy RPGs, but it has a respected pool of veteran shooter talent to call on: the team behind DOOM, Wolfenstein and Quake (oh, and that other one I suppose).

“Since id Software is part of our company, that’s the first thing we did, we call them,” Howard added.

“Like ‘alright, we’re gonna do this from scratch, give us some tips.'”

Pretty cool. The rest of the video includes some discussion on player freedom in Bethesda games; you may watch below. I’ll allow it.

Fallout 4 arrives on PC, PS4 and Xbox One on November 10.

More information.

Hmm...as I recall I found the combat/action to be quite entertaining & satisfying, in both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. I'm far for certain that I'd be willing to sign up on the idea that the action was better/more entertaining, in any of the previous id games. So... not quite sure what to think/feel about this.

ID?!
There it goes.
Fallout 4 will have 10 hours of content max and the game size will surpass 50 Gigs on HDD.

Fallout 4 combat is more like a modern FPS than previous games…

rofl?

Todd Howard Retard what are you doing clown?

I didn't mind Fallout 3 or New Vegas shooting, but it clearly was inferior to smooth shooters like CoD or Destiny. So better shooting mechanics is always welcome. Fallout 4 is going to be insanely epic. There's a 99.9% chance it will be the most mind-blowing game to come out in years.

Call me names if you will, but Bethesda has been pushing technology and gameplay forward for decades now. We already have plenty of old-schools revivals, so I'm very glad Bethesda is paving the way for new-school RPGs. I don't know if Fallout 4 will reach Skyrim levels, but it will be an instant classic. I have foreseen it.

Hmmmm, for years Bethesda games have been known for their technical excellence (albeit buggy at times) but somewhat weak storyline. So they called ID?????????

Call me names if you will, but Bethesda has been pushing technology and gameplay forward for decades now.

Please tell me you're kidding. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love Bethesda's games (once I mod them to my liking), but they haven't been innovative in any way for a very long time. Morrowind was the last game that was any kind of major push in technology for them.

Well they used David Gaider this time, so you can sex the dog and the robot, but not a girl, if you're male. ;p

- Fallout 4 is going to be insanely epic. There's a 99.9% chance it will be the most mind-blowing game to come out in years.
- Call me names if you will, but Bethesda has been pushing technology and gameplay forward for decades now.
- We already have plenty of old-schools revivals, so I'm very glad Bethesda is paving the way for new-school RPGs.
- I don't know if Fallout 4 will reach Skyrim levels, but it will be an instant classic. I have foreseen it.

Sure, of course. 99.9% chance? Dont be negative. Its 100%. It will be Game of the Galaxy. Best RPG of 2015. Best FPS of 2015. Best post-apo. Best sim. Best sport. Best racing game. Best strategy!

And the new school of RPGs = FPS, right? That makes perfect sense. :lol:

For crying out loud they said they called ID for combat tips, not to design the game. All this can do is tighten a few screws, seriously.

Sure, of course. 99.9% chance? Dont be negative. Its 100%. It will be Game of the Galaxy.

I don't understand your mentality...mocking...does it improve your love of games and life? Your comment reminds me of Fight Club...some people just want to destroy something beautiful.

Please tell me you're kidding. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love Bethesda's games (once I mod them to my liking), but they haven't been innovative in any way for a very long time.
Why do you love Bethesda games? Because accusing them of not innovating for the last 14 years or so doesn't jive with you loving them. I think you are just blinded to how much Oblivion, F3, and Skyrim did actually innovate...you took it for granted because it is what Bethesda always does: refines the open-world RPG.

But I'll give you one innovation example: VATS. That was a super-cool and clever innovation to FPS gameplay that really benefited Fallout 3. Another example: the Creation Kit making it so much easier to mod stuff, which you seem to take for granted.

I think you'd do well to seriously think about Bethesda's last few games and compare them to their competition. Bethesda has done some amazing innovation to open-world RPG gaming.

Poor Bethesda...picked on by a very vocal random minority of people on the internet...and all they have is...countless millions of sales, untold riches, universal critical acclaim, and millions of adoring fans worldwide...

Bethesda are definitely pushing boundaries in several ways, but I suppose you need to appreciate the things they're trying to achieve to really notice that.

Oblivion was a major jump in visual fidelity for open world games and it was the first game I played that with that kind of view distance and beautiful vistas from such range. Radiant AI was a cool, if flawed, attempt at creating a huge world that felt "alive" without scripting everything in a typically limiting fashion.

Skyrim, in my opinion, is more of a very polished version of Oblivion in terms of tech and visual fidelity - but it didn't make as big a leap forward. I attribute that to how they had to stick with last-gen console limitations.

Fallout 4 looks like it will jump forward in terms of scope and stuff like amazing customization of weapons and housing. Implementing Minecraft-like building tools in a complex world like that is not something I've seen before.

I also think their approach to modding technology is pushing boundaries for expanding such complex games with community content.

Certainly, I think they're among the most innovative developers in the AAA segment. That's not saying much, perhaps, but considering the budgets they're playing around with - I think they're doing relatively daring work.

Eh, it seems they're trying to do something like weapon customization from Dead Space III, from what I've seen...not a bad idea, but hardly innovative.
Bethesda games are becoming more of an rpg cousin of GTA's or closer to being an offline MMO...they are not something to praise for their innovation, high quality design or artistic value, but they are addictive in their simplicity, customization and having something of appeal for just about anyone. Great toys, mediocre video games.

Eh, it seems they're trying to do something like weapon customization from Dead Space III, from what I've seen…not a bad idea, but hardly innovative.
Bethesda games are becoming more of an rpg cousin of GTA's or closer to being an offline MMO…they are not something to praise for their innovation, high quality design or artistic value, but they are addictive in their simplicity, customization and having something of appeal for just about anyone. Great toys, mediocre video games.

Ehm, if we're talking about weapon customization in itself - that has been a thing for ages.

What I'm talking about is taking it much further than it has ever been taken before. The DS3 system was ok, but FO4 looks much more elaborate and powerful.

But again, this is subjective.

If you don't care about customization, elaborate housing, scope and density of content - then it's nothing amazing.

It's hardly a surprise that people who don't like the game fail to notice how it has innovated.

Are we still talking about FO4?

I'm just amazed that such factual statements can be made about a game that none of us have played yet. :)

Are we still talking about FO4?

I'm just amazed that such factual statements can be made about a game that none of us have played yet. :)

They've demonstrated the customization features clearly in a video - and unless they're blatantly lying and have constructed false material for a game that's more or less finished, that's pretty close to factual.

But, no, it's not 100% factual - it just looks like it's much more elaborate than anything I've seen in a CRPG before.

As for scope and density of content, I already consider their past games very innovative in that way - and they've clearly stated that FO4 will go quite a bit beyond that.

I have zero reason to doubt it, as that's been the clear pattern of evolution for their games since Morrowind.

Obviously, since I understand what they're trying to do - and I've seen them do it time and time again - I believe in it.

Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom