Driveclub on PS4

So after nearly a year of delays it has finally been released. What we have here is a simple, no frills arcade racer that is very accessible (the controls are quite easy to get a hold of and crashes aren't fatal), in which you have a set objectives to accomplish in order to progress through the different levels of the "Driveclub" (kind of like Gran Turismo).

Sadly, while it is native 1080p, there isn't a lot of aliasing, and the game is in 30 FPS. It does however make up for it with its extremely impressive environments, much beyond what I have seen so far in a video game. It is truly a sigh to behold.

Other than that, there isn't much to say about it. I would say it's a bit generic, but it accomplishes what it set out to do, which is to provide a fun, accessible racer and showcase what the PS4 could do.

One thing that is disappointing however is that there is an option for a "season pass" of DLC... urgg. :/

Disappointing. I was hoping for more of a sim than a pure arcade racer. How bad is the handling, could you clarify? Is there any damage model at all?

Honestly, even though I promised I'd join you in this, HHR, I may be skipping it. I'll get my semi-MMO driving experience in The Crew on my PC which features an extremely open world to drive in. It's arcadish as well, but I don't see the point in playing both.

If you describe it more and start discovering things about the game that you like, you could convince me to try it.

Yes there is damage model. I don't think the handling is bad at all, it is easy and forgiving but not overly so. It's obvious here that Sony wanted something that anyone could pick up and play and enjoy.

That's disappointing, but understandable if you think that's not your cup of tea. Especially since you know there will be a game of the year edition with all the DLC that will be available for real cheap soon enough.

I will keep doing more races when I have time and post further impressions.

Send me a PM here with your Sony ID or whatever. I'll still add you to my friends.

The only driver simulations I've liked are those with machine guns, lasers and bombs (i.e. Death Race I think it was called). I have a car (and hate driving) so that's all the driving I can stomach.

Sadly, while it is native 1080p, there isn't a lot of aliasing, and the game is in 30 FPS. It does however make up for it with its extremely impressive environments, much beyond what I have seen so far in a video game. It is truly a sigh to behold.

Why is it sad that there isn't a lot of aliasing? A racing game running in 30 FPS is really sad though.

If you are on PSN, you get demo this month to try out.

Is this due to the crap hardware of PS4 or developer incompetence ?

The PS4 hardware had to be limited because of power supply limits. The developers in the beginning said they wanted to have it run at 60 FPS, but weren't able to optimize it well enough.

It's also sad but 60 FPS vs 30 FPS doesn't affect sales, while those environments will make heads turn.

It is worth it though, I have never been this impressed at such panoramas in a racing game.

Is this due to the crap hardware of PS4 or developer incompetence ?

It could be developer choice as well :)

I just expect arcade-like driving games to be very fast and smooth. I'm not a big fan of 30 FPS in general. I need 45+ for most games.

That said, I'm not a fan of this kind of game at all, so it's not a problem for me, personally.

Back
Top Bottom