Deus Ex: Human Revolution - PC Port Studio Revealed

I'm surprised you react like that, though, because it's like you assume we should just always trust everything people involved are saying during interviews...

I've been passionate about gaming since I was 6 years old - and I've been following development of games for… hmm… 28 years now. Don't you think that entitles me to an informed opinion about whether or not being sceptical is a good position?

But, thank you for offering this information.

You're welcome :)

Well, I actually don't think I reacted in any particular strong way. It was not meant in that way in any case. I started my original post with a "guys, chill out" followed by a smiley. What I meant to express with this was simply that I thought the news bit was quickly being blown completely out of proportions.

As for the rest of my postings, I simply try to explain to people that there is generally a huge misunderstanding going on, among non developers, about how a game is constructed from a technical point of view. This misunderstanding makes them sometimes draw the wrong conclusions when they then hear the word "port". Especially in this case.

I guess I tend to react when people go ape-shit over news like this one - simply because quite frankly those people *over react*, without having anything to base their reaction on.

Everyone likes to have opinions on how games are made (or should be made) and this is sometimes a bit wierd, when making games is what you do for a living. I could never dream of going up to a doctor, and cry out in outrage over the way he says he's going to treat a brain tumor (unless he say he's simply going to cut of the patients head). I know nothing about brain tumors, and I understand and respect that it is a science that he is an expert in.

This also ties in with your other comment. Of course you are entitled to have an opinion and are free to believe what you will. But even 28 years of gaming doesn't mean that you know a damn thing about the process in which they are best being made :)

It's not so much about who is doing the port, it's more about it seeming like the PC platform is not a high priority for them. If it was, it would be the Xbox or PS3 version getting outsourced, not the other way around. As someone else mentioned, wasn't the PC version originally supposed be the lead platform?

This studio is good at making PC ports though, so that should temper some of the feelings you have. Every single port they have done according to the web was a good one, especially the recent ones.

Yeah though, it does suck that the PC version was not the lead platform. I thought sure I read it was.

You're welcome :)

Well, I actually don't think I reacted in any particular strong way. It was not meant in that way in any case. I started my original post with a "guys, chill out" followed by a smiley. What I meant to express with this was simply that I thought the news bit was quickly being blown completely out of proportions.

As for the rest of my postings, I simply try to explain to people that there is generally a huge misunderstanding going on, among non developers, about how a game is constructed from a technical point of view. This misunderstanding makes them sometimes draw the wrong conclusions when they then hear the word "port". Especially in this case.

I guess I tend to react when people go ape-shit over news like this one - simply because quite frankly those people *over react*, without having anything to base their reaction on.

Everyone likes to have opinions on how games are made (or should be made) and this is sometimes a bit wierd, when making games is what you do for a living. I could never dream of going up to a doctor, and cry out in outrage over the way he says he's going to treat a brain tumor (unless he say he's simply going to cut of the patients head). I know nothing about brain tumors, and I understand and respect that it is a science that he is an expert in.

This also ties in with your other comment. Of course you are entitled to have an opinion and are free to believe what you will. But even 28 years of gaming doesn't mean that you know a damn thing about the process in which they are best being made :)

Are you honestly stating that 28 years of reading about games doesn't mean I know anything about whether being sceptical or not is a good position?

That would be like saying that if I'm not a politician - I have no business being sceptical about what they're saying. What world are you living in? :)

Afterall, I don't think I've claimed that I base my scepticism on knowledge about the development process.

I'm quite simply basing it on my experience with what's being said in the media - and what the actual tangible result is when playing the game.

I have no idea why you insist that our scepticism has anything at all to do with the actual development process.

Well, maybe some people are basing their scepticism on that - but I certainly am not.

I couldn't care less what difficulties are involved with making games, in this case.

I care only about whether what people who're involved with the development process can be counted on or not, when speaking about something like a PC-specific version.

Unfortunately, my experience is that it's best to remain sceptical - no matter what may or may not be feasible within the process of developing a modern AAA game.

With that said, I have high hopes for this game - and I don't really think this is a case of a shoddy port. But I would be a fool to blindly trust what obviously biased people are saying. Not you, necessarily - but the actual people behind the game.

So, what you've said has helped me hold on to my faith in DE3. Aren't you happy now? ;)

I have no idea why you insist that our scepticism has anything at all to do with the actual development process.

No, it hasn't. That's just you guys becoming more and more grumpy and bitter over the years :)

On a more serious note. In the case of this particular news bit I *do* believe the development process has a lot to do with whether or not you should be sceptical.

If you actually read the news bit he's basically saying: "We're not doing the PC version in-house, but we *are* doing all the PC design work and have an overall strong focus on PC. I personally play the game exclusively on PC. We have good guys working on the actual code."

With that information you can be sceptical because you just don't believe a word he's saying. That's your right, but on the other hand if you choose to do that... then there's really not much the man can do, is there :) That's the same as being sceptical about the project as a whole.

You can also be sceptical because you believe in the guys good intentions, but you disagree with his decision to out-source the PC work. To be sceptical based on this, I do believe requires an understanding about the actual work being out sourced. This is where I think people are lacking in understanding in this particular case.

So, what you've said has helped me hold on to my faith in DE3. Aren't you happy now? ;)

Wo-ho.. DArtagnan being an optimist. To think I would see the day :)

Well, I'm a *huge* Deus Ex fan myself, so I also have high hopes. I haven't played the game though, so I have no idea whether or not they'll deliver according to my own personal preferences and tastes. I do believe they have the process under control though.

No, it hasn't. That's just you guys becoming more and more grumpy and bitter over the years :)

Can you really blame us? :)

On a more serious note. In the case of this particular news bit I *do* believe the development process has a lot to do with whether or not you should be sceptical.

If you actually read the news bit he's basically saying: "We're not doing the PC version in-house, but we *are* doing all the PC design work and have an overall strong focus on PC. I personally play the game exclusively on PC. We have good guys working on the actual code."

With that information you can be sceptical because you just don't believe a word he's saying. That's your right, but on the other hand if you choose to do that… then there's really not much the man can do, is there :) That's the same as being sceptical about the project as a whole.

You're talking about this as if it's really a conscious choice. Have you ever heard the story of the boy who cried wolf?

I did take the time to read this, by the way - and I still remain sceptical, though less so now.

It's not about clear-cut black/white lies. It never is. It's about whether or not things are presented in a 100% forthright way. Unfortunately, I find that to be quite rare in this industry. Money, like always, is the issue.

But but, I actually do have a lot of faith in this game - based on countless interviews and me reading between the lines.

This and the "highlight augmentation" remain the only two negative things so far, and that's not at all enough to crush my admittedly rare optimism regarding AAA products.

You can also be sceptical because you believe in the guys good intentions, but you disagree with his decision to out-source the PC work. To be sceptical based on this, I do believe requires an understanding about the actual work being out sourced. This is where I think people are lacking in understanding in this particular case.

I have no way of knowing internal resources or policies. So, this has little to do with my scepticism.

I only go by my overall experience with any kind of outsourcing (a concept I'm VERY strongly against in general) - and my experience with this concept is quite significant.

Wo-ho.. DArtagnan being an optimist. To think I would see the day :)

Well, I'm a *huge* Deus Ex fan myself, so I also have high hopes. I haven't played the game though, so I have no idea whether or not they'll deliver according to my own personal preferences and tastes. I do believe they have the process under control though.

I can only hope it's as good as it otherwise sounds. Even if it's only halfway what they're claiming - it'd still be miles ahead of Invisible War.

Sorry I just have to weigh in as a "old" time PC gamer, the companies producing games and releasing crap PC versions as quick cash grabs or secondary after thoughts year after year have made us grumpy and bitter as year after year what looks like a great game is hampered by UI problems and can't be bothered to use the strengths of the PC as a game platform.
If you are not going to a job right then don't do it! I personally have played way to many games that were developed as a console first product that at this point as soon as I here that a game is a "port" I drop all expectations and relegate it to bargain bin fodder. I do not have a problem paying 10 bucks for a console port but I will no longer pay full price for a half assed job.
With digital distribution there are many more choices for the PC gamer to pick from, we no longer have to tolerate subpar products.

its really all up to the publisher in how serious they take their porting. many games these days are contracting out work since the scope of development across all platforms is too much to bear. this isn't some konami or capcom sloppy arcade port of a clearly console action game. someone mentioned mass effect 1 and 2 and in that case the more consolized version was in the sequel which was developed by bioware unlike the 1st which was diamurge studios or something. bioshock 2 had help from arkane studios and digital extremes. the result was a game also no more consolized than its predecessor.

but i guess the sky is still falling...

This is somewhat heartening, but I am still worried that the UI was designed around consoles, FIRST. This usually leads to awkward and unoptimized PC controls and HUDs, in all the recent ports I have played. I haven't played the cited ports by Nixxes. So for now, I'll be hopeful and keep my fingers crossed. :)

"All the design and changes to the design has been done in Montreal and sent to [Nixxes]," he told Shacknews. "We review the builds. We review and then give comments about what works and what doesn't. It's the same process. It's the exact same process, except that the programmers aren't in the same office. It's the same game and the same creative team taking care of it."

Of course, this ignores the fact that face to face meetings are more effective than texting/emails/phone calls/video conferencing, etc… :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom