Civ IV wins first grammy for a Video Game

Lucky Day

Daywatch
I always enjoyed that song. I was actually disappointed when they replaced it in the expansions.

In the options menu you can set it back to the original song.

That's the first thing I looked for after they replaced that song. The others weren't bad, but they were nothing compared to that one.

I really liked that song from Civ4 and am not surprised its winning awards.

I don't know the rules of the Grammy's but shouldn't they really just be looking at music from the previous year except for lifetime achievement awards? Congrats to the composer in any case.

Edit: Ok so he put it on an album released last year and thats why it could get nominated.

It is a wonderful song, and it did get me jazzed to play the game every time I loaded it.

The Civ5 song is very, very good as well, though it has nothing on this one.

I always wondered why it wasn't released on Audio CD ?

I would say video game music is long, long overdue in the major awards department. But it seems the grammy's are the awards for the recording industry, not music. Otherwise you'd see show tunes, movies, tv themes, and radio broadcasts all included me thinks.

This is why a 2005 song wins in 2010: its part of Chris Tin's new album, Calling All Dawns.

this may not be the first time this is happened though, but the story is out there and popular. Certainly a lot of the classical music in Civ, like Brahms and Beethoven, have won Grammy's but they didn't write specifically for video games I am told.

I think a lot of people here know overclocked remix - http://ocremix.org/ (if you never heard about it, you're in for a pleasant surprise).

Never heard it before, thanks for the link.

It's a bit too Japanese/console style for my taste, but impressive nonetheless. I like how it starts off with BGM from Super Metroid in the beginning.

I'd love to see something similar using music from crpgs.

Yeah, it looks like at the beginning, the mixers would only work on 8bits oldies, but there are a few good pieces from CRPG. Try to look for 'pirate of oblivion', for example, or 'the Fallout of Eli'.

But obviously, the console songs get most of the mixers' attention.

Back
Top Bottom