The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

VAST (Jon Crosby) has been one of my favourite bands for over 7 years now. I finally saw him a few months back and it was an amazing show, a few feet away at a horrible venue and 'unplugged' but it was still a great experience. my friend partied with him after word and got 'mugged' by a stranger-horray for alcohol.
i own the multitude of albums and internet albums but i've never watched a video. i came upon this one tonight from his first album and its about the most disturbing music video i've ever seen. sammy you should check it out though:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZ6ptqcbUc

he's probably my favourite male singer/songwriter

I've pulled out some of my old Chick Corea CD's that I haven't played in quite a while ...

Chick Corea - Three Quartets - this is some great stuff from '81, with Corea, Brecker, Eddie Gomez and Steve Gadd all shining individually and as a unit.

Ether Aura's "Crash" cd for me.

Heard Michael Jackson's "PYT" on the radio this morning. Guy's a total nutjob, but he sure could write songs back in the day.

Heard Michael Jackson's "PYT" on the radio this morning. Guy's a total nutjob, but he sure could write songs back in the day.

It is amazing trying to explain that to my kids - he is like a poster child for all that is weird and screwy in the world now, so the thought of him as a megastar is completely alien to them ...

Sigh....

- Electric Light Orchestra
- Yes
- King Crimson
- Genesis
- Emerson, Lake & Palmer
- Esquire
- Uriah Heep
- Joe Satriani
- Steve Vaise
- Gary Moore
- Pink Floyd
- Led Zepplin
- Jon Lord
- Rick Wakeman
- Mike Oldfield
- The Cat Empire
- SBB
- Klause Szultz

All great Musicians/ Bands from all over the world!!! You gotta really learn to listen to their music because it's not easy to listen to.

... isn't the thing here to name *one* thing you are *currently* listening to along with a link to allow others to preview it? As opposed to listing your 20 favorite bands?

In a way 'yes', BUT, in a more accurate way, I could say that I am listening to all of their hits in a playlist.

This is the only Music Thread I found here, so those are my highest recommendations. Stating individual fav songs would take ages and ages.

This is the only Music Thread I found here, so those are my highest recommendations. Stating individual fav songs would take ages and ages.
But you're missing the point - this is *currently listening* ... so you are saying that you are actively listening *right now, on the same playlist on your MP3 player* about 1000+ songs by 20+ artists.

If you want to start a 'my fave music' thread, then by all means ...

Back on topic, still on Corea - here is one ripped from Vinyl:

Passengers by Gary Burton Quartet - this is a truly great recording from the 70's, featuring a young Pat Metheny on guitar as well as two of the all-time best bassists - Eberhard Weber and Steve Swallow.

BTW - I have been ripping stuff from vinyl on a system I bought for my wife to be able to play her collection of records a couple of years ago ... looks like this:
p2320769reg.jpg

I'm just listening to Angels&Agony. Saw them on the festival on Sunday (or was that Saturday?) and thought I'd check out some more of their stuff.

That's a cool looking box, Mike. Can you hook it to your pc , too or just your sound system? Even that might work--just a bit slower. (Vinyl->CD->PC?) I have tons of albums that need to be preserved for posterity.

I really need to take the advice you and Gig were giving me about iTunes and so forth as well. Some of the best fun I had in the bygone years was making tapes and compiling odd tunes into sequence. I can only compare it to the fun of making your own random maps in a game. :)

this badboy looks like what you want but its pricey. its 299 at target (listed as 399)
http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-CR248...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187104557&sr=1-2
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...3/601-3216763-2764958?ie=UTF8&asin=B000I2WF6W
any of the other "crosleys" would cause you to have a hokey set up transfering sound from speaker output or headphone outputs which would lower the quality i believe. they probably leave the audio outputs off so you have to buy the top shelf ones if you want that feature. of course you can probably pick up a decent for modern record player for under 100 that has some rca plugs if that's all you want it for.

this one looks nice and easy especially if you have front pc usb access. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882698001
here as well, think its the same model, and a lot more reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iTTUSB-Tu...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187104937&sr=1-3

this one looks nice and easy especially if you have front pc usb access. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882698001
here as well, think its the same model, and a lot more reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iTTUSB-Tu...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187104937&sr=1-3

Love the look of those!

Yeah, the Crossley we have does have RCA outs which I have into my PC based audio setup with Adobe Audition as the processing software. That works pretty well for handling most stuff. I find that I end up with a fairly warm sound, and the pop/click removal worked quite well when I did the entire Partridge Family collection for my wife to give to her sister as a birthday gift!

That co-worker of mine is actually setting up an internet business doing audio conversions. I've got a worn out Figures on a Beach cassette from the 80's that he converted to cd for me--the results were astounding. Of course, he's running some pretty high-end equipment thru a mixing board to clean it all up, so it's a pretty time-consuming (aka expensive) process. Certainly can't knock the results, though.

@mike: IIRC, 8 of 10 tracks off Thriller were released as singles and hit the top 40. That's amazing when you really think about it. I think "Meet the Beatles" only spawned 4 singles and that was a world-mover.

@mike: IIRC, 8 of 10 tracks off Thriller were released as singles and hit the top 40. That's amazing when you really think about it. I think "Meet the Beatles" only spawned 4 singles and that was a world-mover.
7 of 9 were singles:
* 1982: "The Girl Is Mine" (with Paul McCartney)
* 1983: "Billie Jean"
* 1983: "Beat It"
* 1983: "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
* 1983: "Human Nature"
* 1983: "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"
* 1984: "Thriller"

Thanks for the links and info, curiously and mike. Think I have just found my Christmas present. :)

Re: Michael...I remember how my son loved the Thriller video, which had some pretty impressive choreography, but even then(observing with a parental eye) I found MJ as a personality an over-rated walk on the wild side. He had the talent, just not the mental package to hold it. I can only imagine kids now trying to relate.

fame-it f's you up
especially child stars
besides all the recent female flopers, i remember a few years back, in one of the brief windows in my life of having cable i saw a special on the guy who played dennis the menace back in the fifties was a very disturbed almost homicidal whackjob.

I was listening to Mike Oldfield's AMAROK until a few minutes ago. I still feel like blasted.

This is in far the most creative work I've ever listened to in my whole life - but it's definitively nothing for "cloth-eared nincompoops", as the back cover states, it is especially not for the lighthearted ones.

I got really into it after 10 times listening to it or so, but then it stuck.
And since the piece is 60 minutes long, I traditionally start it at 23.00 o'clock at new year's eve ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom