The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Wow. Excellent recommendation, Asbjoern! What's their level of popularity: local, national, or world?

Amstrong is really a very unknown band even in Denmark. I only recently heard them by coincidence. Though their most recent record, "Lack of You", have received a lot of critical acclaim by the Danish media, which you can see when looking at their website, but they've never gained any wide-spread popularity in Denmark. Perhaps locally, I don't know.

I enjoyed it as well, Asbjoern. Nice vocals. I predict if they stay together they may be more well-known before too long.

I agree, they have a good sound. I would rank them in a top 10 for me based on style and sound. And that is a pretty select list I have. ;)

spawning off of the "sex without procreation" line from the witcher thread/video. it made me think of bjork's - enjoy which has the line "sex without touching". its a good live clip, and i can't recall if i heard her play that one at coachella where her performance was less memorable than i would have liked as we were in the cuts walking from faithless's set and the cameraman was a rockhead so we just layed down and listened. also i often get weirded out when i see bjork from mid-nineties vintange whose face and spastik behaviour are nearly a match for my brother in his prepubescent days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqnEBwhXFIY

not bad dte. my s.o. would probably enjoy it much more than me. can definately see the cure guitar reference in with me. i like the music a lot more than the vocals though. same goes with the smiths though as i am a negative fan of morrissey. it reminds me though that i should check out some johnny marr solo stuff as i know one of the people hes played with is lisa germano.

Didn't work for me, Jabberwocky. I'm not really sure why, either. The girl's got some serious pipes and there's some decent musicianship running around there, but the 2nd thru 4th clips just didn't work for me. I guess I expected either some melodious goth or some sturm-und-drang death metal, but ended up with something uncomfortably stuck in the middle. Your first clip was quite good, IMO, but it's obviously their ballad and not representative.

I totally understand why you said that dte... unfortunately the only videos I found were live ones, and live recordings often lose much in translation from the studio recordings. The song "Digital Deceit" and a few others have some very cool sound effects (such as a dial-up modem connection) mixed with the music (plus all the choir voices) that you don't hear at all on the live version. Oh well...

Still good to share, Jabberwocky. I know what you mean about the difficulty finding decent clips. I fight that pretty regularly, although I've had decent luck with MySpace. Sometimes the clips one can find don't even sound like the same song.

"In the Darkness" by Orchards and Vines
(Anyone that doesn't hear Jefferson Airplane in that song needs an ear exam)

Bravo! It appears that my ears are in good health, as I distinctly heard Jefferson Airplane in that clip.

good song!

This sounds pretty good after that second glass of wine...;)

I get up/can't nothin get me down
You got it tough?/I seen the toughest around...
might as well

JUMP

And to show I occasionally listen to music from the current century, a little Ween

though this one's my favorite: The Mollusk

I guess This Will have to do for Now give it a Listen
Did you know that the Bass Player played with King Crimeson

Speeking of Which
King Crimeson

And lets not forget This Band Lisen

And ending with this Lisen To Nightwish

Last edited:
I know I just mentioned it but I can't stop listening to After Forever Invisible Circles.

Here's samples from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/...3-1414774-1879034?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

The samples missed the hook on almost every song, but there's good stuff to be heard on "beautiful emptiness" "Sins of idealism" Through Square Eyes" and "Life's Vortex." "Life's Vortex" demonstrates one of the varying styles found throughout the album - in this case progressive metal.

Why do I bother mentioning this album again? Because it's been a long time since I heard this skill of composition in music writing. The whole album is spilling over with melody, it changes tempo frequently, and incorperates all kinds of subtle sound effects and unique instruments (e.g. pipe organs, doorbell) within some of the songs. The ballad "Eccentric" marks a difining point where the album seems to shift gears and infuse a new sort of energy and urgency into the music.

Almost every song includes orchestral arrangements, and they are very reminiscent of the quirky beautiful gothic compositions of Danny Elfman in Edward Scissorhands. The growling male vocals have the same pitch and style as some of Opeth's work, and that is a very good thing. IMO this album takes the best of Evenescence, Nightwish, and Opeth and wraps it all up into one fantastic package. This is my first After Forever album purchased but I know it won't be the last!

I don't know if there are any other metal fans out there besides Sammy so I'll shut up now. :)

Chuck Schuldiner - R.I.P.

Greetings!

Alas I've learned, a few days ago, that a great Icon of Metal had passed away a short while ago in 2001.

He was the founder of the death metal band known as well, Death, and he was a molder of the movement of Death metal as it is known today.

His name is Chuck Schuldiner.

I will link two Youtube videos in his honour, so that the few Metal heads here can watch in silence...

In Memoram :

1) RIP Chuck.

2) Leprosy!

May his soul rest in peace.

RIP to good 'ol Chuck indeed. Tho he very well may be happy to be dead!

Well Jabberwocky, I'm glad you finally turned on to After Forever!
Theyre a great band, Ive got a lot of mileage out of their cds. They have the tendancy to stay fresh with me for a while, I can pick them up anytime and in any mood and be into it all the same. Floor is a wonderful singer, she has some real power and almost a sadness about her at times tho thats very endearing. She's very down to earth, likes to do the simple rock female vocals, then boom she's suddenly classical. She's so damn powerful, the band behind her is so powerful, I love it!

I really like the male vocal style as well, I have to give him credit as well. I like that style of dual-tracked digitized growl, it's so otherworldly. I dont like the gurgling, gross death style vox all that much, Ive always preferred the type that AF uses.

You really need to get "Prison of Desire", that's a very good cd as well. "Decipher" is good, but I really think that the dearth of male vocals on it will always keep it beneath "Prison..". I dont have Invisible Circles, but after listening to the samples 3 times, I'm ordering it tonight!

Bauhaus - In the Flat Fields

I don't know wether I should like them or not (which kind of implies I don't really like them...), but judgeing from this video they were a pretty good live act...

Übereil

Back
Top Bottom