Drakensang Mother Rat

She probably equipped a metal armour piece. Metal armour disables magic.

Sooooo many people not knowing the TDE rule set thought it was a bug ( = many posts in the official forums. In fact, this is among the top 10 of all questions) ... But instead, it's in the rule set, in fact.

I just hope that gamers out there will not "bad-mouth" this as a "real bug".

I'm having a bad feeling here.
Is Mother Rat at the bottom of the brewery? If so, I'm only level 4 and I'm standing outside what I think might be the final room. Do I have a prayer? I barely survive the groups of 8 black wolf rats that come pouring out on this level. Normally the dwarf is left standing long after the others have fainted. The dwarf is level 5 and so is the Charlatan but she goes down faster than Pamela Lee :D

Time to save in a different slot ...

I'm having a bad feeling here.
Is Mother Rat at the bottom of the brewery? If so, I'm only level 4 and I'm standing outside what I think might be the final room. Do I have a prayer? I barely survive the groups of 8 black wolf rats that come pouring out on this level. Normally the dwarf is left standing long after the others have fainted. The dwarf is level 5 and so is the Charlatan but she goes down faster than Pamela Lee :D

Been there, done that. Have a non-quicksave *outside* the room (just in case you decide to quicksave inside). Try the battle a few times with different strategies (and fail of course), then go back to the save outside and just go to the moors and come back later :)

@Wolfing-I'm going to adopt your strategy, except I'm sure I'll try and lose all night :D I can't stand to lose a fight. I'm taking it that the moors is where the good old wizard wants me to go. I love this game! I'm really tired of rats though. I hope we switch monsters soon.

My first battle will be to try and send the dwarf in alone. He has the roundhouse skill and it works well only if you're surrounded. My plan is to have the Amazon and my Ranger fire bows and have the Charlatan fry them with Ignifaxus. Once the dwarf gets knocked unconscious, I'll try to send the Amazon in and repeat. I'm sure it will fail, but Forgrimm has good armor and he should kill several rats before going down. Is the battle over if you defeat mother? If so, I could have all the ranged fighters attack her instead of helping Forgrimm.

Little nut, you have no idea what you are running into. NO IDEA!

@Wolfing-I'm going to adopt your strategy, except I'm sure I'll try and lose all night :D I can't stand to lose a fight. I'm taking it that the moors is where the good old wizard wants me to go. I love this game! I'm really tired of rats though. I hope we switch monsters soon.

My first battle will be to try and send the dwarf in alone. He has the roundhouse skill and it works well only if you're surrounded. My plan is to have the Amazon and my Ranger fire bows and have the Charlatan fry them with Ignifaxus. Once the dwarf gets knocked unconscious, I'll try to send the Amazon in and repeat. I'm sure it will fail, but Forgrimm has good armor and he should kill several rats before going down. Is the battle over if you defeat mother? If so, I could have all the ranged fighters attack her instead of helping Forgrimm.
*Wolfing takes a seat, opens his popcorn bag and prepares to watch the naked roman gladiator against the lion* (if only they sold popcorn at the coliseum)

You have Roundhouse for the dwarf? How did you get it? I haven't worked that part out yet. The manual was no help.

You have Roundhouse for the dwarf? How did you get it? I haven't worked that part out yet. The manual was no help.

one of the guards at the barracks at the town square trains combat techniques, I think that one has it.
And I just beat that mother f.... RAT! at level 6, took me like 8 attempts, although at the 2nd attempt I could have had it if not for one stupid mistake I made. Sheesh!

I took her at 5, but I used a lot of traps to do it. I'd lay three traps, have Forgrimm fight her til he got wounded bad, then I'd have Rulana take his place while my Charlatan healed him. While that was going on I'd lay three more traps. It ended up with my main character the Ranger being the only one left alive after killing her. Unfortunately, I got killed by her offspring so I never got to see if there was a reward. Now that I know that I could win at level 5, I gave up and went to the next place but the stink monsters aren't exactly a pushover either. Their attack that makes you lose control of the AI makes them devastating. I'll be loading everyone with range weapons and see how that goes. They seem slow. I was massively disappointed in the xp awards for fighting the black wolf rats. 1 lousy xp for each kill was too low. The black ones are tough because of the poisoning and wounding. Still, a slow leveling game isn't bad. If you become all powerful, the game gets tedious. I think I'm getting 1 xp for the stinkers too and I'm only level 5. I'm hoping that the game drops the hordes and hordes of creatures that give 1 xp. I'd much rather fight 5 creatures that gave 10 each, than 50 that give 1. I don't need to fight the same battle 15 times, like you end up doing with black wolf rats.

I needed to buy that nice two hander in the harbour near the storebrannts( i think it was their merchant) to kill the rat, 75 ducats i believe. And use mighty blow. When you fight the mother rat's summons leave one, she wont summon more if she still has one.

This is something Drakensang just gets right. There will easier fights, but also challenges all throughout the game.

Agreed - when I saw the 500 point levels I was concerned it would be too quick, sort of like I felt in KotOR.

I needed to buy that nice two hander in the harbour near the storebrannts( i think it was their merchant) to kill the rat, 75 ducats i believe. And use mighty blow. When you fight the mother rat's summons leave one, she wont summon more if she still has one.

I don't remember that. I tried it but surely enough, she summoned more. In fact it seems she summons a new wave at 75%, 50% and 25% health

I don't remember that. I tried it but surely enough, she summoned more. In fact it seems she summons a new wave at 75%, 50% and 25% health

It didnt happen to me. I didnt patch ti though, maybe that why. Maybe killing mother rat would be easier if you used like 3 bear traps and try to wound her to death.

Wounding her definitively helps. Also slowing her down, blinding her ... But wounds cause the most drastic effect - against all enemies where this is effective.

Make sure you'll keep all weapons that cause wounds because of that !

I hadn't found a wounding weapon when I met her. I used the bear traps, ignifaxis, and a couple of fire traps to kill her at level 5. Unfortunately, her offspring killed me and I still don't know what kind of reward you get for killing her. My girl did a little dance with her weapon when Mother died and one of the black wolf rats bit her butt and killed her. She was the last one alive :( One thing that seems a little off with Drakensang, is that you'll kill very tough creatures and get 1 xp. Then you'll help a little lady across the street and get 30 xp. Also, you'll have a long drawn out quest and the reward is two farthings, which you can find in almost any barrel.

I thought the quest that starts at Helsinde temple had the perfect level of combat for its size. The rat dungeon was a little overboard. It's been the worst designed levels of the game so far. I hope that the reward was decent. I decided to skip it, rather than try to win at level 5. It took me 15 tries, to almost win :) I also burned 50 Ducats in buying equipment to combat Mother rat. I just restored a save game before I went down against her and went to the temple.

Come back at a later level, then.

The rat dungeon is - as I mentioned earlier - a kind of "parody/joke gone wrong", as far as I know.

But it also teaches us to retreat when a level of difficulty is too high. It's a hard lesson, and it seldom appears in games (Gothic, for example).

I love that dungeon, because it gets harder as you go, and then at the end it is a tough challenge. When I got there I was ready, but I did keep busy healing up my party.

I kept getting beat repeatedly as well until after the blood mountains and when I found the most unbalanced spell.

The petrification spell.
I would fight until she roared. Turn her to stone to park her. Have everyone kill the adds. Heal everyone and refresh any buffs. And then repeat the process every 25%

Back
Top Bottom