Gothic 3 White Flickering

migwell

Watchdog
Yes, I know that I can lose the flickering by turning on Post Processing, and I played like that for several days, suffering low frame rates, stuttering and being really annoyed at how badly the game looked (all shimmery and shiny). Then I read the meandering but mostly interesting 8 page thread here about Gothic tweaks and thought I saw something about running without Post Processing and not having the white flicker, but now I can't find it.

Anywho, on my rig; Athlon 64 3200, 1GB Ram, 6600gt, with a few tweaks to the .ini and turning off 'vsync' in the vid card settings, and cutting out post processing, the game now looks sweet. Getting 30-50 FPS in the wild and high 20's-30's in town with a lot less stutter. Just need to lose the White Flicker and I've got this turkey trotting.

Really enjoying the game anyway, up to about level 20 now. One other thing though. I encountered the Druid/rangers on the way to Montera and the 'head' druid is missing his robe and really does appear as just a floating head. Speaking to him gives the dreaded 'Guru" message and a crash. Any workaround for this?

Haven't seen a game release this bad since Boiling Point, another sprawling combat RPG/FPS that was never fixed.

Oh yeah, that's what I saw, but I need a little more hand holding to get it to work.

1: OK, I downloaded that German zip file and unzipped it and put it in the G3 folder and ran the .bat file or whatever. Hope that was correct.

2: Where am I finding 'useroptions,.ini'. It is not in with the other .ini files. I imagine that it is in with the savegames somewhere else, saw it in passing somewhere. Will look around a bit. The 'ge3.ini' is read-only but can be changed and changed back after being altered.
OK, found useroptions.ini in Documents and Settings. By Jove, I think I've got it!

Thank you for your help. Probably got in about 6 hours now between the demo and the game searching out tweaks to make the thing playable, but like many here, I am a rabid Gothic fan. Been playing almost all day (Saturday) and hunkering down now for a night session with the new tweaks.

One other thing. I just did Gotha and was fighting invisible skeletons, which was damnably difficult. Is this a bug as well? Another tip that seems good, use the keypad control button to turn off the inventory panel that sits constantly at the bottom of the screen for smoother sailing/FPS.

I don't remember any invisible skellies in Gotha!!

Flicker-Fix:

1) Turn postprocessing off via Gothic 3 settings-menu
or in the useroptions.ini:
PostProcessing=0

the useroptions.ini is in the Gothic 3 Savegame-Folder under My Documents

2) Add the folders

\_compiledImage\_Intern

in the Gothic 3\Data folder

3) I think this is not necessary, but to be complete:

ge3.ini :
PostprocessingAdmin.ActiveEffect=-1

the ge3.ini is in the Gothic 3\ini folder.

I think that this is a machine-specific glitch, because I saw some skeletons lying on the ground near Montera which were also going in and out of visibility. Thanks for the help, guys.

Just played for 3+ hours without a flicker. This is almost like a working game now.

Nice to see someone else confirming it, as I am still on NWN 2. :)

HiddenX is teh TweakMaster! ;)

I saw something odd last night - I was roaming around and had some vegetation show up pure white as shown here:
G3Error.jpg

I exited and when I tried to restart the game it couldn't load the engine, I rebooted and no problem since. Funky.

That's one symptom of the memory leak everyone's been talking about ;-).

yeah i myself haven't had any crashes since patch 1.9 but now on occasion i will get these green splotchy flashes after playing for awhile. its not really a big deal though as i can just go the menu screen and then back again and its fine. definately preferable to crashing on a save by a long shot. i've always had post-processing on so i haven't had the white flickering problem but i wonder if people having things disappear on them is do to the graphics driver they are using. i haven't update with the latest nvidia drivers and have those who are having problems updated? i remember when i went back earlier this year to give arx fatalis another shot i had a bunch of objects that were white and without texture. not sure though if this was because i had a newer video card, and or newer drivers.

Yes, the memory leak is still there, but if you take notice of graphical glitches, you can save in time before exiting!!

HiddenX what is the reason for making the new folders, first tiem I ahve seen that?

2) Add the folders

\_compiledImage\_Intern

in the Gothic 3\Data folder

Or is this info in the Tweaks thread, I haven't checked it since I am still working on NWN2.

Gothic 3 can generate (recompile) .ximg Files in this new folder, if something interrnal goes wrong.

this is a fix for

a) the broken console
b) white flickering

Seems to have removed the flicker for me. Bloom safely off for many hours. Thanks HiddenX. There are indeed ximg files in that directory now. The optional inti tweak you mentioned at the end was not necessary.

When you talk about the white flickering are they bars of white flashing across the screen? Now that I have patched the guru issue is fixed but now this one is happening.

Yep, that's the issue and there are several easy ways to fix it; just read the threads and you'll be fine. I know you still remember how to read; you need that skill for your lists!! :biggrin:

Thank gawd! The game was giving me such headaches with it. Now hopefully I can play with the lights on and not have a seizure :p

Back
Top Bottom