Bad Television

ffbj

Sentinel
Just a brief note about a show that was so bad on so many levels, i.e.
'The Last Templar.' This performance, if you can call it that, was awful in most every respect. Even with my back turned most of the time I had to wince uncontrollably as the tortured dialogue was poorly delivered by bad, miscast actors, set inside of an atrocious story line. The brief cutbacks to the Crusader states period was tolerable, but the rest was simply intolerably bad. If you have seen it I pity you, if you have not seen it, please done bother. I give a 'Gah,' and a 'finger poke in the eye,' for everyone involved.

Some other views:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39875

Last edited:
My wife just read the book when she had a nasty cold, and she described it in much the same terms. Like Da Vinci Code, only without the literary merits.

Yeah. I could go into details like:

(Not to get technical, why bother, but explain to me how a
person taught by Jesuits would not know the Latin for the 'Truth will set you Free'?
(veritas liberatatis). The veritas is that this show was a complete waste of time, and now I am liberatas).

And the Da Vinci code didn't have that many literary merits to begin with!

I'm a huge Crusades buff, especially the Templars, and I saw the book "The Last Templar" a few years ago at Barnes and Noble. I didn't realize it was fiction at first, but once I started reading the synopsis, I figured there was no way in hell I could read the book with a straight face. I thought about watching the movie for the humor factor, but maybe I'll pass.

I once saw a documentation about the templars, and it was very, very interesting.

I don't read novels that play with reality, normally.

And the Da Vinci code didn't have that many literary merits to begin with!

I'm a huge Crusades buff, especially the Templars, and I saw the book "The Last Templar" a few years ago at Barnes and Noble. I didn't realize it was fiction at first, but once I started reading the synopsis, I figured there was no way in hell I could read the book with a straight face. I thought about watching the movie for the humor factor, but maybe I'll pass.

Watch "Plan 9 from outer space" in stead.

Sadly it does not even achieve the the status of bad camp, since it tries to be real. One reviewer said: 'So bad, it's bad'.

Yes the history of the Templars is interesting, and exceptionally long. You get better information and a feel for them from a game like Darklands, than anything in this waste of celluloid.

I once saw a documentation about the templars, and it was very, very interesting.

I don't read novels that play with reality, normally.

http://www.amazon.com/Templars-Dramatic-Powerful-Military-Crusades/dp/0312555385/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232996065&sr=8-2

This is one of my favorite books about the Templars. It's a no-frills history of the order, but written by a guy that normally writes novels, so it reads more like a novel than history book.

I though Read (the author) does a fantastic job of staying away from the various legends, though he does occasionally dip into them to show what historically facts exist that they draw from.

It's certainly not the definitive source of the Templars, but I found it to be a good launching point to then go and read about various subjects.

We watched 100 Million Years B.C. last night on Sci Fi ... there is often a reason things go 'direct to DVD' ... really terrible but at least sometimes amusing in spite of itself!

Rented Disaster Movie last night. Had minimal expectations and even those were largely unmet. A couple chuckles and that's about it. At only 75 minutes long, I would have been furious had I paid to see this in the theatre.

We watched 100 Million Years B.C. last night on Sci Fi ... there is often a reason things go 'direct to DVD' ... really terrible but at least sometimes amusing in spite of itself!

When I was on the plane coming back from Vegas last night, they were advertising that movie while I was briefly watching something even worse: Planet Raptor.

Seriously. Planet Raptor.

That "Last Templar" thing is on here tonight--thanks for warning me off as I certainly woud have watched it. Ever since Da Vinci code we've had these eye-rolling docu-dramas that make a silliness of the whole thing.

Planet Raptor, eh? Sounds worse than the Afro Samurai semi-manga thing that was on Spike last night.

I remember reading Holy Blood and Holy Grail and having to put it down after the 15th "just suppose" and the conspiracy theory they implied by not being able to check out a book from the library. It turned out to be information they already knew anyway. This was the piece of fiction that Dan Brown ripped off for his own work.

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Movie is being played repeatedly on Showtime which DirecTV in their infinite wisdom decided to give me three free months of (its just reminding me why I don't subscribe to movie channels). I was shocked as I thought this project got cncelled a long time ago. Seeing Burt Reynolds in leather armour is pretty funny though. Can't think of a bigger actor that has fallen.

The relevance of this is that ItNotK:aDSM has been given the most nominations at the annual Razzies.

I remember reading Holy Blood and Holy Grail and having to put it down after the 15th "just suppose" and the conspiracy theory they implied by not being able to check out a book from the library. It turned out to be information they already knew anyway. This was the piece of fiction that Dan Brown ripped off for his own work.

I had thought about reading that book, as I find the various theories of 'lost' parts of Christianity very interesting. Guess I'll pass!

When I saw the thread title I thought of the local action channel TV6. They show slightly dated action movies, some decent series (Sarah Connor cronicles, Dexter, Simpsons, Family guy) and a lot of cheap action series as filler outside primetime. Highlander, Renegade et al have just not aged very well even if at least Highlander isnt epically bad...

I had thought about reading that book, as I find the various theories of 'lost' parts of Christianity very interesting. Guess I'll pass!

Their theory about the life of Jesus is probably the least silly part of the book. The main feature is really the endless chain of "just suppose" lines. I also like how they handle evidence: If there is (usually weak) evidence supporting their reasoning that means they are right, and if there is none (the more common situation) it just hints at someone actively concealing the truth... In all an impressive amount of blabbering about nothing.

The real thing is fascinating enough that there's no real point in bothering with badly made-up stuff. Check out the Gnostics, the Arians, the Bogomily, and the Cathars; they're all cool.

When I was on the plane coming back from Vegas last night, they were advertising that movie while I was briefly watching something even worse: Planet Raptor.

Seriously. Planet Raptor.

I know - it was advertised about every 10 minutes during the movie. No one wanted to see that - the basic comment is 'this is really bad, imagine what THAT is like'.

Watched some of 'Last Templar' because of this ... really bad.

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Movie is being played repeatedly on Showtime which DirecTV in their infinite wisdom decided to give me three free months of (its just reminding me why I don't subscribe to movie channels). I was shocked as I thought this project got cncelled a long time ago. Seeing Burt Reynolds in leather armour is pretty funny though. Can't think of a bigger actor that has fallen.

The relevance of this is that ItNotK:aDSM has been given the most nominations at the annual Razzies.

Saw that movie too, but I should have known in advance: when you see the name Uwe Boll as director, you know you have to look for another movie.

Back
Top Bottom