Game of Thrones - Preview @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alec Meer has penned a preview of Game of Thrones at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, presumably from the recent press events. Alec notes he'd need to play the game for himself to form a real opinion but the tone certainly seems positive:
The other major foundation of Martin’s books and the resultant show (sexy funtimes aside) is, of course, wanton violence. GOT:TG seemed to have all the hallmarks of a hacky-slashy meathead marathon, so I was a little surprised to discover that it’s actually built around tactical pause-time combat in the vein of Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age. To an even greater degree than those are, I think. You pause, up pops some ability menus with the fight going on in super-super-slow motion behind it, you chain together up to 3 attacks, moves, spells, potions and whatnot, including switching foes mid-fight if you wish, you resume and then it all plays out in real-time.
It’s also surprisingly statty. In a somewhat MMOish way perhaps, with messages like ‘bleeding’, ‘miss’ and precise HP loss popping, but in many cases this is there as a prompt to employ particular abilities. Mors, for instance, has special attacks which will cause double damage to bleeding enemies. Hammering your way through apparently won’t get you very far, so in theory it’s a game of thrones, observation, tactical thinking and even memorisation.
More information.

As long as this is not bug ridden I'm putting it on my buy list. Mainly for the combat.

Same here. Strangely, Risen 2 has fallen off my list, and this one has tentatively landed on it.

As long as this is not bug ridden I'm putting it on my buy list. Mainly for the combat.

I agree, I love the books/show but so often with these VG adaptations they are just money grabs that end up turning out sub-par products. Definitely going to wait on some reviews for this one.

Back
Top Bottom