Two Worlds II - Screens @ Worthplaying

I can't take any more press releases about TW2. They just need to release the game already.

Nice looking.

A game this pretty cannot and should not be played.

I like that RPG games these days is mostly about pretty worlds and how the all the interviews never actually have journalists asking the developers how their game is going to be different than the Hyped RPG #2342? Make a list, tell us how many features are unique in your game. Just like BioWare does with every.. oh wait.

Can't wait to play this.

I still need to finish the first game.

you wont miss anyting if you dont.

well...maybe if you do finish it, you can tell how poor done it was, and check out part 2 , looking for the stuff they made better.

I still consider it better than Oblivion (but behind Gothic 3).

I haven't finished Two World ONE! Played briefly some years back but then had to format my HDD and since then its untouched.

Those who have played it..can u tell me WHICH are the TWO worlds this game refers to? Is there some kind of magical parallel world (ala Oblivion realm)?

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't remember anything like that. I suppose the second world could be the little dream nexus areas where the main character talks to his sister. I enjoyed Two Worlds, but it is so much less than Oblivion I can't believe anyone would seriously compare the two. Gothic 3, though I personally didn't finish, makes more sense in comparing to Oblivion.

TW was an Oblivion wannabe. TW2 probably will turn out to be an Oblivion wannabe also. The TW-devs sure brought up Oblivion a LOT in their discussions. Too bad TW never really could get their mod community going. If some English-1st folks could have edited the dialogue and wrote some good quests for the game, TW might be a good competitor with the big O.

Gothic 3 was just more polished overall than TW. All that said, I'm certainly looking forward to their second effort. It certainly was worth the money I paid for the game.

- It contained things I consider a huge plus though, such as factions the player had to choose between and locations worth exploring.
- The scenery was far more varied than that of Oblivion, with as much variety as Gothic 3 (desert, snowy hills, dense forests, even a samurai city).
- The main quest was as bad as that of Oblivion, so they're pretty much on par there.
- The combat system was more interesting, though it was poorly balanced initially. Among other things it had decent dual-wield
- 3rd person view did not look as if the character was sliding on ice across any surface.

I'll easily live with some silly conversations and a few technical glitches for such a list of pros. Gothic 3 trumps that though having the same list, but more interesting characters, locations and significantly better balancing (for everything but 1H + shield initially, which was very poor and lead to the infamous stun-lock situations). G3 also had fantastic atmosphere, and the best music track I've ever witnessed in a game.

I guess it's all down to priority, but I've never said anything other than G3, TW and then Ob as far as the three big sand box games go. I think I even mentioned it in my TW "review/preview" thing/thread back in the days.

Two Worlds was certainly better than sitting through Oblivion.

The part I found interesting was that Two World developers obviously loved Gothic enough to copy some art (like armors) and gameplay elements including little touches (which I can't be arsed to list).

The only problem was the incredibly stupid storyline and voice acting for main hero (my god, I CAN REMEMBER IT ALL). The combat on horse and combing similar items bit was fun little touches most RPG games don't have (esp. the horse combat, which every game with horses and enemies on foot should have).

I guess this is all a matter of personal preference but my experience is so different, I had to respond.

- It contained things I consider a huge plus though, such as factions the player had to choose between and locations worth exploring.

I thought the exploration was terrible, because I found no interesting content anywhere. Awful quests, terrible writing. Can you give me an example of something you discovered that was worthwhile? I really tried - I discovered nice scenery but no interesting characters or scenarios.

- The scenery was far more varied than that of Oblivion, with as much variety as Gothic 3 (desert, snowy hills, dense forests, even a samurai city).

Agreed.

- The main quest was as bad as that of Oblivion, so they're pretty much on par there.

TW main quest (actually, all the quests I saw) reached new heights of awfulness - worse than Oblivion, which at least had less embarrassing writing and characterisation. But the main quest is such a small part, so why care about that compared to side quests? While they were linear quest lines, the Brotherhood and Grey Fox storylines in OB were excellent and the game was worth it for those two bits alone. What compares in TW?

- The combat system was more interesting, though it was poorly balanced initially. Among other things it had decent dual-wield

"Interesting" on paper, I agree. In practice, unbalanced, lacking weight, too clicky, even worse animations than OB.

- 3rd person view did not look as if the character was sliding on ice across any surface.

OK. Not a big deal to me.

G3 I loved - in spite of the problems - and I think is well ahead of TW.

I thought the exploration was terrible, because I found no interesting content anywhere. Awful quests, terrible writing. Can you give me an example of something you discovered that was worthwhile? I really tried - I discovered nice scenery but no interesting characters or scenarios.

I must admit I never found any specific loot while exploring (the majority of loot was scaled), but I certainly found remote settlements and what not (offering unique quests and so on). The rebel headquarter comes to mind - I stumbled upon it while exploring the forest region.

TW main quest (actually, all the quests I saw) reached new heights of awfulness - worse than Oblivion, which at least had less embarrassing writing and characterisation. But the main quest is such a small part, so why care about that compared to side quests? While they were linear quest lines, the Brotherhood and Grey Fox storylines in OB were excellent and the game was worth it for those two bits alone. What compares in TW?

The questline between the rebels and.. that other faction I can't recall the name of in the north. Not only do you have to pick sides, you get to explore camps such as the rebel headquarter, normally not available. Truth be told, the Brotherhood is a very good questline, but it's an exception, not the rule. Also, it's completely linear - could've used some choices, such as betraying/arresting the Brotherhood if you're a good guy.

"Interesting" on paper, I agree. In practice, unbalanced, lacking weight, too clicky, even worse animations than OB.

I simply don't agree, the animations in Oblivion look downright silly in 3rd person, mostly because of the way the character "slides" around. How good "combat animations" look in 1st person is irrelevant - it's just a weapon stabbing, I don't see how that can be done poorly. Is 1st person even possible in TW? I honestly can't remember, as I don't use 1st person unless I have to (i.e Might & Magic).

Also, calling any combat system "unbalanced" compared to Oblivion is a joke - Oblivion is one of very few games in the world where you get punished for having combat skills as your major skills. You'll do far better if you put some useless rubbish as main skills, so you can level up the combat skills without gaining levels. The more combat skills you gain as major skills, the weaker your character gets compared to the world around him/her.

G3 I loved - in spite of the problems - and I think is well ahead of TW.

No doubt.

I don't have much respect for Oblivion vanilla as a quality CRPG - but Two Worlds, while having some interesting ideas and amusing mechanics, was downright AWFUL in nearly every way that matters.

It looked clunky and everything that moved felt awkward. The dialogue was abysmal, and voice acting even worse than that. Absolutely nothing to inspire completing anything, and exploration was hollow and unrewarding. Dungeons were pointless, and I simply couldn't find a reason to do anything.

It was just a mess.

Back
Top Bottom