The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

No! Really??? Say it ain't so!! :) (All other progrock are totally humble?)

Well, Yes - wouldn't characterize them as pompous, but they surely knew how to turn even the simplest of tunes into something very complicated: America

That was back then, they aren't as complex (and creative) as they were.

pibbur whose favourite prog rock bands are Yes, King Crimson and Dream Theater.

I think being (a) great musicians (b) pompous and self-aggrandizing and (c) filled with space / sci-fi / mystical lyrics are the defining elements of prog :)

I really don't care about lyrics, so I just enjoy prog for the well executed music. I like ELP (mostly those min couple of albums) due to the musicianship, but I only listen to them on occasion. Same for Yes, though I like them more now than when I was young. Again I pretty much only really like the stuff with Bruford. King Crimson ... my fave tends to be the Bruford / Levin / Belew era ...

Like this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvA7oWGb40

I think being (a) great musicians (b) pompous and self-aggrandizing and (c) filled with space / sci-fi / mystical lyrics are the defining elements of prog :)

This surely fits many prog rock bands, but there are significant exceptions. Jethro Tull aren't very pompous to me, yet they are considered a prog rock band. Another example is Tool. Admittedly Tool is a bit difficult to classify, and there is no consensus, but to me they are definitely prog.

Several of the newer prog rock bands also don't fit: Anathema, Mostley Autumn and Panic Room. And Motorpsycho (some of their albums).

Then there is the prince of prog himself, Stephen Wilson whose productions vary a lot.

pibbur who for some very eccentric prog recommends Starring.

Last edited:
Yes, lots of exceptions. That America cover is a masterpiece, I think. I like the 80s and the previous incarnations of Crimson equally. Starless may be my favorite.

Currently listening to my boss drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on during this 2+ hour conference call.....Guh

Keith Emerson and the "monster" moog. What a rat's nest. :lol:

600px-Emerson_moog.jpg

I knew he had done that but not seen footage. No doubt, as you say, mind blowing at the time. Same for this (from wiki) "On 12 May 1967, Pink Floyd performed at Queen Elizabeth Hall in London a concert entitled Games For May. At this show, they debuted a multi-speaker pan pot system controlled by joystick from the stage that allowed them to move sound to anywhere a speaker had been set up." Can you imagine being totally out of your mind on drugs and then the sounds swoops at you!

Pfft… he'd probably shit his pants if he ever saw Rammstien. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7WwRfTuy2w

I am into the actual 'music' instead of gimmicky non-music distractions (especially of the type that have lead to so many injuries and deaths at shows through the years). But that is me ... I don't care much for lyrics either ...

I tried using the Amazon Fire Phone I got for cheap as an iPod substitute but it just sucks, so I have been dragging CD's into my car as I mentioned before ... this week I pulled out an old Bobby McFerrin disc, the one with 'Don't worry be happy':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYoBFXam1Gw&list=PL76661AF1E7BCF007

Bobby McFerrin is a cool dude.

Here is a video of him having fun with the audience :).

I have seen him live three different times ...
- once back in '85, which was amazing and just astounding in what he was doing.
- again later when he nearly gave the whole show to Take 6 (a capella group) and spent more time sitting in a chair than singing ... perhaps my most disappointing concert ever.
- Then again several years ago, and that was once again just stunning. Him, a microphone, a stage, and an absolutely enthralled audience.

Back
Top Bottom